Salzo V5 X-Wing pattern work

You will screw the L brackets to the wings, THEN screw the L brackets to the "scissor" brackets. It's absolutely do-able.
Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 8.14.30 PM.png

And then:
Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 8.14.46 PM.png

You will screw the L brackets to the wings, THEN screw the L brackets to the "scissor" brackets. It's absolutely do-able.
Awesome. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

nd then:
View attachment 773875

Wait... Just checking that in this pic the wings are being added to the brackets before going into the hull. BUT I can add them to the brackets after the hull is assembled and painted. Is that correct?

Nope! You will need to add them to the cross bar and THEN nest them into the hull... why do you want to add them after the hull is together, if you don't mind my asking?

I guess you could pin them, but the way I am planning on explaining on instructions, two screws will "self tap" and the other two will pass through and be held on with nuts inside the wing wells. Rock solid!

- - - Updated - - -

If you replaced the screws that hold the L brackets on with allen screws, you could do it after the fact. Just not enough room to get a screwdriver at the Philips heads once the hulls are together. Unless there is some fancy philips head screwdriver for tight 90º areas?

- - - Updated - - -

Replacing with allen screws is actually not a half bad idea... especially if you want to ship or transport the thing, lol

Does anyone know if this automated X-Wing is being sold anywhere?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXP8nR4BRoI
I know that Nexus-models produced an xwing kit that came with an adruino board to control lights and wing servo motors. His xwing may not be as accurate as this one is, but I heard some really good things about it, I think it's still one of the best available. But the guy is really hard to get hold of.

Edit : http://www.nexus-models.com/electronic-x-wing-2017.html

Last edited:
Nope! You will need to add them to the cross bar and THEN nest them into the hull... why do you want to add them after the hull is together, if you don't mind my asking?

It would be easier to assemble and paint the 5 pieces separately (main hull and 4 wing parts) rather then work on the main hull with the wings attached.
It was recommended to use an offset screwdriver to add the wings on later. I was just concerned about getting the hinge and brackets to line up while trying to screw it together with such a tight space.

I know that Nexus-models produced an xwing kit that came with an adruino board to control lights and wing servo motors. His xwing may not be as accurate as this one is, but I heard some really good things about it, I think it's still one of the best available. But the guy is really hard to get hold of.

Edit : http://www.nexus-models.com/electronic-x-wing-2017.html

I contacted Nexus way back when he first announced this kit but he said he does not sell the gearbox motor separately and that it would not work in other X-Wing kits such as the CC I have.

I guess you could pin them, but the way I am planning on explaining on instructions, two screws will "self tap" and the other two will pass through and be held on with nuts inside the wing wells. Rock solid!

- - - Updated - - -

If you replaced the screws that hold the L brackets on with allen screws, you could do it after the fact. Just not enough room to get a screwdriver at the Philips heads once the hulls are together. Unless there is some fancy philips head screwdriver for tight 90º areas?

- - - Updated - - -

Replacing with allen screws is actually not a half bad idea... especially if you want to ship or transport the thing, lol

That is an excellent idea. May have to use a cut down Allen wrench to do it, but that’s easy enough. I have a spare armature, will run to the hardware store later today and find the correct Allen head screw to use, and report back.

I believe Moffeaton mentioned he was writing a manual for the V5, as there appears to be a LOT of differences between the V3 and the V5, regarding the wing construction.

I dont have the Reader armature yet, whats the proper screw size/type for attaching the wings to the armature? I am making an order of screws and would like to get those in the same shipment.

6-32 x 3/8” flat hex screws installed in the Reader armature. Plenty of room for a non-cut Allen wrench to fit.

Attachments

• 45C1506F-7B72-46ED-9A5F-BBEC64BD820A.jpeg
    45C1506F-7B72-46ED-9A5F-BBEC64BD820A.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 320
A "how to" will be coming, but we are entering the holidays - so PLEASE don't expect instant gratification between now and Christmas, I beg you :lol

That looks nice and clean. You should mention it to Mike Reader and maybe we can get those hex screws included with the upcoming armatures he's going to be making for us.

6-32 x 3/8” flat hex screws installed in the Reader armature. Plenty of room for a non-cut Allen wrench to fit.

That looks nice and clean. You should mention it to Mike Reader and maybe we can get those hex screws included with the upcoming armatures he's going to be making for us.

Thats is a really good idea. I would welcome that!

It is somehow fitting that this idea and improvement happens here in this thread. Those of you that read Cinefex in the good old days b4 cgi likely remember when ILM guys improved things with the next project, always learning and coming up with new ways. And it happens here, I see it as a nice homage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So general update to keep everyone in the loop.

I am waiting for the laser cut wings to show up before I can start shipping. Significant casting has been happening, on the order of 1 kit per day so they are piling up. So that's 6-7 kits per week as I usually work 7 days a week at this point. I expect all or nearly all to ship by mid December, shipping in the order paid.

As I said I usually work 6-7 days per week but I won't work on Thanksgiving and have a few other dates I can't work in between then and Christmas.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back