Salzo V5 X-Wing pattern work

The Mike Reader will absolutely work and keep it studio scale.
It may not be exactly dimensionally accurate to the ILM armature from 1976, but it has properly spaced/shaped "L" brackets, opens to the right (lesser) degree, fits the fuselage perfectly, allows the same mount points, and the cockpit to sit correctly.

However that armature will not work in order to keep model studio scale.
We would loose some detail from original. From my model I can tell how thick the rods could be and mount points.

Thank you. It is going to ex Apogee painter to be finished after a little more research into the exact model it is..
I have debated this issue for a while now and believe since Grant went through all of the work to recondition the fuselage that he wanted it finished.
I just do not want to cover up the pattern that is inside the v of the wings.

Thank you. It is going to ex Apogee painter to be finished after a little more research into the exact model it is..
I have debated this issue for a while now and believe since Grant went through all of the work to recondition the fuselage that he wanted it finished.
I just do not want to cover up the pattern that is inside the v of the wings.

would you mind photo-documenting its current condition for us before repainting/reconditioning? I'd love to see it.

I would be more than happy to take pics of it for you guys.
Please remember the model was reconditioned by Grant after it was destroyed during filming.
Because there was a good chunk left it was placed back into the mold and so it could be used again.
I was told that model were being blown up at such a fast rate the guys were doing everything they could to keep up.
This model as I was told was going to be the display used for the front lobby so it received further clean up by Grant.
The work was already done before I bought it.
At this point all I have had done is to have the lower parts primed.
This thread is not about my model but about the great work that is being put into producing you guys an almost perfect studio scale.
Thanks guys for your hard work and dedication.
I can later post pics to the board about my pieces.

I would be more than happy to take pics of it for you guys.
Please remember the model was reconditioned by Grant after it was destroyed during filming.
Because there was a good chunk left it was placed back into the mold and so it could be used again.
I was told that model were being blown up at such a fast rate the guys were doing everything they could to keep up.
This model as I was told was going to be the display used for the front lobby so it received further clean up by Grant.
The work was already done before I bought it.
At this point all I have had done is to have the lower parts primed.
This thread is not about my model but about the great work that is being put into producing you guys an almost perfect studio scale.
Thanks guys for your hard work and dedication.
I can later post pics to the board about my pieces.

i think everyone here would love to see a near original pyro x-wing!

I've heard about problems with the wings sagging over time on studio scale X-wings. Maybe some of you guys that have built previous versions can chime in on this. Is it still a problem? Has anyone come up with a way to prevent it?

I've heard about problems with the wings sagging over time on studio scale X-wings. Maybe some of you guys that have built previous versions can chime in on this. Is it still a problem? Has anyone come up with a way to prevent it?

I always fly mine upside down for half the year.
Haha i dont know about Mike's but i have an old cc that has sat for years and has not dropped yet.

For the new kit, I think, Mike and Jason said one half of the wing will be cast and the other half will be laser cut acrylic, which I can only guess would be much more rigid than just resin. Not for certain though...

So as to the ? of wing sagging. I have not heard of any wings having any problems on any of the V2-V4. There was the issue with the resin armature on the V4, the resin as advertised did not live up to it's 110F heat deflection claim. Which is why that option willl no longer be available ever again. In reality the Reader armature is very affordable and even buying the new V5 + the Reader armature is less than a lot of kits in SS land. Hell there is a guy selling recasts of the Icons X wing that is in the same ball park as what I plan to charge.

So for the ? of wings on the V5. I am going all out with the quality of the resin. I have done a number of experiments with a high performance resin that I will be casting the wings, phantom engine parts, Saturn V parts and a number of others in. I will likely even add alluminum powder to the wing mix. I had a conversation with the smooth on guys at Jerseyfest and feel like I am really on the right track. I can cast in this resin largely because Jason has broken down the parts in the way that he did.

The resin makes production slower and more expensive. But since we have come all this way I want to really make sure it's the best around.

I will have some test casts later this week, I have been molding and molding and molding some more.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back