Salzo V5 X-Wing pattern work

The harrowing brick cuts are in the bag!
21014161_10155684663038156_2821129643883758272_o.jpg20953386_10155684552023156_2553300902963940136_n.jpg

All right! The cans and engines are done! The two middle can patterns were slated for Blue 1/Red 2, but upon further inspection, the panels are spaced too uniquely to "make do" so after Mike Salzo molds them, I will strip the vinyl back off, and cut "accurate" panels for what will be cans for Blue 1/Red 2 only. Everything else jives!

From top to bottom:
The "Pyro Can" that is used on Red 4, 6, 12. No heroes used this pattern.

Only one hero used this pattern - Red 1. It only ever surfaces one more time, in the same position as Red 3 Pyro (and one similar to this pattern is on Blue 1/Red 2, but hand cut and different)

This one provides 3 of the 4 cans for Red 5 Hero, and shows up on the Red 3 and 12 pyros.

Red 1 & 5 Heroes in the same position for this can, and 3 of the four Red 3 Hero cans (and two of the Red 3 pyro cans)!

21125353_10155704047193156_5354403403440574706_o.jpg

NOTE - we still do not know what is on the BOTTOM of Red 1. I think it's safe to surmise the can used on Red 5's bottom might be what we see here - the are most likely the "non-bar cans" so that's what I'm going with until better reference surfaces, if it ever does!

21192940_10155704066113156_4025634413117538235_n.jpg

Oh, and one more maddening thing - Red 3 *does* have a unique panel... the "square with an angle removed" panel on the left in this photo is positioned to line up with the rectangular panels, and has been cut into to accommodate the Saturn V raised detail. I chose to stick with Red 5 on the pattern, as it would be easier to remove the panel if it was to the right of the raised detail.

So if you want über accuracy, shave that one square off, and cut a new one as seen here:

Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 9.59.00 AM.png

21192940_10155704066113156_4025634413117538235_n.jpg

21125353_10155704047193156_5354403403440574706_o.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 9.59.00 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Impressive. So, I assume we'll have to pick which version we want to build before ordering? I don't imagine you'd provide a full set so we can make any version we want, only to use a third of the parts in the end. That would be a lot of unnecessary cast for you guys

Yes, you will need to say which bird you want to make when ordering...

Now, what is this I read about my butt?!?! :lol

I'm gonna sing Mike's praises for a second, because he is too humble to do so and I am brash and extroverted to a dangerous degree.

Without getting too deep into it, I had access to direct measurements from a privately held Hero shell. Let that sink in because even I had a hard time processing this information.

A HERO SHELL.

Not a pyro, not a casting from a casting from a casting.

A shell that was cast in 1976, from the exact mold that made the heroes.

Anyway, Mike's V5 hulls are literally SPOT ON in most dimensions, and when it was off, it was literally only by a millimeter or a sixteenth of an inch. And he's using this data to correct the pattern... so I just want to take a moment to let you know how close he got to what ILM did all those years ago.

And we will soon be able to hold in our hands a set of parts that can make the closest thing to a "real" Hero X-Wing that any one has ever gotten to.

I am BEYOND excited.

I'm so glad I held out this long before trying to get on the x-wing train.

I kind of feel like I'm cheating, being able to buy a kit that's had so much blood sweat and tears put into it from years of work - it's a huge privilege and don't really feel worthy!

Last edited:
Yeah Jason got me in deep on this, I was just planning to re release the V4.

I know Jason is really excited and we are really lucky to have new info.

Just to be clear, even if you have a V2,3, or 4, all of those are really close to what we have now. Obviously the V3 and V4 have been the closest to date.and we are really down the rabbit hole with some of these adjustments, in some places like 1/2 of a mm.

Also, that being said. There is still going to be some "generic-ness" to the fuselage in the respect that we are using 1 shell to detail and re detail. So some of the quirks that may be inherent to shape or twists etc to any fuselage may not show up.

I am one to be overly cautious about expectations. This is our best effort with all the info that has come out over the years. I have seen too many projects that have claim to be 100 percent accurate or from secret info etc, the BR wallet comes to mind only to disappoint people. Any GK of these subjects short of casting one from the original mold will just be a best effort.

Man I too am loathe to say anything is "accurate"... but as you said, it's got some features no other version has done before, and that makes me reaaaaaally happy/proud/excited.

And as always, thanks for tempering my gonzo rah-rah statements ;)

i have a pyro model built in 76 and then rebuilt to be used again. I really can not wait to put these to next to each other!!!
Where am I on the list?
Also can we get armatures?

However that armature will not work in order to keep model studio scale.
We would loose some detail from original. From my model I can tell how thick the rods could be and mount points.

Can you share pics of your pyro?! I don't think a member here has ever had an actual one before.

i have a pyro model built in 76 and then rebuilt to be used again. I really can not wait to put these to next to each other!!!
Where am I on the list?
Also can we get armatures?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back