Lightsaber cane

DRay1218

Hey everybody!
So I have somewhat recently become disabled. As such, I have been needing a cane more and more for mobility I have been thinking that if I need a cane, then I need a lightsaber cane. I found one vendor online that makes them, but they are priced beyond my reach. I am not really familiar with the modular hilt system, but it seems to me that I might be able to fashion a cane using that system. To be honest, I'm a bit lost there. Anyone have any advice?
thanks

Would you be ok with a nice wooden dowel instead of the clear colored lightsaber blade? Also did you want a particular character hilt? I ask because if you just want a generic setup you could do it pretty cheap. Just buy a Ultra Sabers EMPTY hilt which would be had for cheap. Then go over to the hardware store and buy a dowel that fits where the blade would go. Then get a rubber cane end. Should be a easy and fun project. You may even be able to find a Cane that has the rubber end that fits inside the hilt already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you really want the lightsaber colored look, I imagine you could probably find a glass cane online, and just remove the pre-existing head. But for the cheaper option you could just get a wooden pole and paint it the desired color and give it a gloss clearcoat.

Here´s the one Peter Mayhew is using...shouldn´t be that hard / expensive to make or commission someone else IMHO

peter-mayhew-lightsaber.jpgchewiecane.jpg

Would you be ok with a nice wooden dowel instead of the clear colored lightsaber blade? Also did you want a particular character hilt? I ask because if you just want a generic setup you could do it pretty cheap. Just buy a Ultra Sabers EMPTY hilt which would be had for cheap. Then go over to the hardware store and buy a dowel that fits where the blade would go. Then get a rubber cane end. Should be a easy and fun project. You may even be able to find a Cane that has the rubber end that fits inside the hilt already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With regards to that post...make sure to get a "saber" with a wider pommel end, that´s comfortable for you and your palm resting on it for a longer period of time. A standard lightsaber hilt won´t be sufficient for this purpose IMHO.

Check Chewies walking cane, that I posted pics of

LDM is maybe who you are referring to? (and I think pioneered these? although I could be wrong on that aspect)..

If you wanted to create your own.. it would be simple enough to do..

and the MHS parts are easy enough to work with as well.. (they have a builder so you can play with parts/set-up before purchase)

Here´s the one Peter Mayhew is using...

Hey OdiWan72 ! I think you meant to say "Here's the ONES Peter Mayhew is using" as those are two different canes!

Check the space right between the handle and the emitter, the leg shot photo is silver and longer than the face shot photo wich is shorter and brass colored. So, depending on which photo is older... one of those is a V2!!! :eek ;)

Hey DRay1218 ! Here's a place that you can order clear polycarbonate rod from...

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/63404040

1" x 4' should suit you just fine for most of the blade holders are 1" and you can trim the length to the appropriate size for your cane.

Good Luck on your Lightsaber Cane Build! Don't forget to show your work off here as you create and finish it!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey @DRay1218 ! I forgot to add that the MHS Builder is a really neat way to experiment with your lightsaber design skills...

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/mhsbuilder/mhsbuilder.php

Here's a quick little render for you with a round pommel and smooth choke section where your fingers will be most of the time while using your SaberCane as a cane...

Ridire Fíréan - SaberBuilder_render for SaberCane.png Ridire Fíréan - SaberBuilder_render for SaberCane - with Parts List.PNG

Just be sure to pay attention to the inner diameter of the parts you choose, some of the parts are smaller inside than 1". And some are larger inside than 1".

If I did this render correctly, based on inserting a 1" polycarbonate rod, you'll have 6"-7" of rod inside this particular hilt design with the tail end of it bottoming out somewhere in the beginning of the choke section.

You can request where you want holes to be drilled to attach items like the Activation Box, and the Blade Retenion Screw.

Feel free to use this design if you really like it, just tell everyone who drew it up for you and how awesome a guy he is! ;)

Last edited:
If you want a wood one, then the person you need to PM is The WoodChuck. I *think* he might do commissions, not sure. Just search his threads to see.

Hey @OdiWan72 ! I think you meant to say "Here's the ONES Peter Mayhew is using" as those are two different canes!

Check the space right between the handle and the emitter, the leg shot photo is silver and longer than the face shot photo wich is shorter and brass colored. So, depending on which photo is older... one of those is a V2!!! :eek ;) ...

OMG!!! How in the world could I dare not to pay attention to the details and differences of Peters cane(s)...it is the RPF after all :rolleyes:lol

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back