MCU Spiderman STARK Build- Mechanical Lenses Solution

Looking really great! Updates :confused

Thanks!! Unfortunately I dont have any physical updates as my 3d printer's extruders had a total blowout, so right now im focused on getting that fixed, but I did come up with a solution to the spring problem! Hoping to post an update soon!

awesome so far

where is the suit from as looking to do this as a costume too (need to work out first or I'm gonna be beer belly-man)

Did you use the toy mask lenses for the non moving ones>?

The suit is from zentai zone and yeah the non moving lenses are from the toy mask! Do be careful in cutting the lenses out because if you cut too far from the lens itself, there will be an obvious gap when you try to set up the magnets. Might not bother some people, but it really bothers me tbh.

As for total progress, i was able to figure out how to code arduino (kinda hard for me while simultaneously learning java). And the servos are up and running, I bought another mask to use as a permanant face shell, and I hope to have time to do it sometime this week!

I got some pretty good reference for the homemade web shooters if anyone needs it don’t ask me why there are french subs I don’t know either. Does anyone have any more good references for the homemade shooters cause I’m trying to make a pair

Attachments

• IMG_0726.JPG
    IMG_0726.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_0727.JPG
    IMG_0727.JPG
    171.7 KB · Views: 1,064
  • IMG_0728.JPG
    IMG_0728.JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_0729.JPG
    IMG_0729.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_0730.JPG
    IMG_0730.JPG
    180.1 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_0731.JPG
    IMG_0731.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_0732.JPG
    IMG_0732.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 553
  • IMG_0742.JPG
    IMG_0742.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_0743.JPG
    IMG_0743.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 300
Wow an update? Am I allowed to do that after more than a year? Hope so because this update is really exciting.

I MADE WEB SHOOTERS THAT SHOOT.

They arent the most movie accurate, but I plan on tweaking the design more and more over time.
Loaded.jpg
Disassembled.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow an update? Am I allowed to do that after more than a year? Hope so because this update is really exciting.

I MADE WEB SHOOTERS THAT SHOOT.

They arent the most movie accurate, but I plan on tweaking the design more and more over time.
View attachment 844288
View attachment 844289
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4sIhqev0Pw

Hey, I had a thought.

And since I'll never do anything with said thought, I'll put it here:

What about having magnets at the end of the string? Have them in a little sack, so they don't shatter (or if they do it won't matter)?

Suction cups will only work sometimes, but even though magnets will obviously only work on metal, I think it would be really cool.

Just a thought ;)

Hey, I had a thought.

And since I'll never do anything with said thought, I'll put it here:

What about having magnets at the end of the string? Have them in a little sack, so they don't shatter (or if they do it won't matter)?

Suction cups will only work sometimes, but even though magnets will obviously only work on metal, I think it would be really cool.

Just a thought ;)

I already incorporated it! I'll tear apart one of the darts soon but inside the suction cup as a counter balance, I have a small magnet behind the suction cup. If I shoot some beams in my basement (which a suction cup wont stick to) it has SOME attraction. Obviously not enough to counteract a bounce, but I'll definitely look into making a full magnet dart! Love the sack idea since it will probably need to be more than a single magnet

Also I added a release mechanism behind the cartridge so the empty cartridges can pop out when the lever in the back is pulled. Heres a demo video, but I missed my mirrors when shooting the dart this time...

dronie.jpg
Finally printed out pieces to fit on the drone, flies pretty well but it definitely is affected by the extra weight. I'll try to post a video soon to show you guys!

So Ive been working on the lenses for the past year, and I have been thinking of techniques involving servos, solenoids, puppetering, and even rubber bands.
AFTER A YEAR OF THINKING HOW THIS WOULD BE POSSIBLE, IVE DONE IT.
(Also ignore the hot glue, the lens wasnt made for this faceshell and I 100% plan on making a new face shell and lens setup for the final assembly. All of this is just proof of concept now)
These are, what I believe to be, the most convincing electronic lenses that are on the internet.

Yes I only animated the top lens as of right now, since I essentially wanted to see if my mechanism even worked before putting the effort to apply it to both lenses. Expect another video with the full animated eye soon and a more flush lens soon!

Just finished hooking up the bottom shutter and it is everything I ever dreamed it to be. I already have the materials for a vacuform so I plan on vacuforming my actual facemask (since this white one is temporary and too large) and have the lens fit a bit more snug than they do in the video. One of my servos is broken so thats why you hear a residual noise when the shutters are in the closed position, but thats an easy replacement.

Just finished hooking up the bottom shutter and it is everything I ever dreamed it to be. I already have the materials for a vacuform so I plan on vacuforming my actual facemask (since this white one is temporary and too large) and have the lens fit a bit more snug than they do in the video. One of my servos is broken so thats why you hear a residual noise when the shutters are in the closed position, but thats an easy replacement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oPBSFLTw9U

So I haven’t gotten the chance to read the full thread yet, so sorry if this has already been answered, but will you be showing how these work more in depth so people can replicate them? I’ve been looking for a good way to make moving lenses for a while haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done!!!
Excited to see how it turns out!
Are you going to run the wires down your arm to be able to move while you walk around?

Yeah I hope I can use a high gauge (really thin) silicone wire down my arm and i'll probably inlay it along the leather detail that goes down the suit!

So I haven’t gotten the chance to read the full thread yet, so sorry if this has already been answered, but will you be showing how these work more in depth so people can replicate them? I’ve been looking for a good way to make moving lenses for a while haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont think I'll be going more in depth other than a simple description until I have a working and easy to replicate model! I would love it for everyone to be able to incorporate an emotive lens into their suits, but i dont think im at the point where i can comfortably instruct someone to break their spiderman suit for them!

Update, kinda big? but not an exciting big update, just a major step toward a final product!

I designed a custom PCB (Power Control Board) to house my Arduino Nano, resistor, battery leads, and servo leads!
Here is before with the breadboard:
Spaghetti.jpeg

And this is after the custom PCB!

BoardMounted.jpeg

Here is a video of the entire thing in action, (one of the new servos I received from amazon is also bad so im probably going to order another set )

Small update, but I finally made a vacuform for my new faceshell!

The faceshell im using comes from User SpeedyDemon on thingiverse (Since im in college and cant afford a professional faceshell from tjack fx)
Spider man Homecoming faceshell w/ eyes by SpeedyDemon

I printed it on the larger format 3d printer i have at my work!
Vacuform.jpeg

Next to is is the material I plan to vacuform the shell with, 1/16" PETG. I have done a test with a golf ball and the results were very sobering. I definitely need a better heating source for the final pull:

vacuform1.jpeg vacuform2.jpeg

I also finally got around to designing the body parts for the tiny drone:
spiderbro.jpeg

It came out as well as a 5 min designed part can come out to be i guess. Not really focused on this bit of tech anymore since the web shooter and lenses have taken so much of my free time lately.

Stay tuned for more updates! Plan on getting the entire set done before 2019 and hopefully I'll be able to pump out kits for yall to use in the future for the upcoming spidey film ;););)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back