Disneyland Tiki Bird Replica

Ha! That’s amazing!

Please post about the animatronics! I feel like a fool for not doing mine!

Animatronics and moving mechanisms have a high learning curve and add an immense amount of time and planning to your project. I've been trying to tinker with this stuff for years, and only last Halloween was I finally able to make a working eye mechanism for an animatronic E.T.

Your birds looks wonderful as they are! That said, if you really want to add movement, you could always consider these as 1:1 scale references for your upcoming build. :)

Ole, ole! More birds under way!
Jose is by far the most complicated Tiki Bird of the bunch.
He has the greatest variety of feathers and all his fur colors have to be custom dyed.
That's why I've saved him for last.
After fur and feet, the bird on the left will be getting a replica of the Disneyland perch.
The other two are headed for the loving homes of people who made this project possible.
Joses.JPG

Finally finished Jose!

Name-Shell.jpgHeadShot.jpgSideView.jpgThreeJoses2.JPG
These fine feathered fellows will be ringing in the New Year in their new homes!

I thoroughly enjoy making these guys, but I am out of room in my house!
Fortunately I have a few commissions, so I'll be able to keep making them!

Next up Disneyland style ceiling perches!
But that I think is the subject for a new thread.

Thanks for looking and all the great feedback!

Where did you get the eyes from and what size where they?
The color of the eyes varies, dependent on era and park. The Tiki Bird project I'm working on is using light brown eyes with large pupils. You can find many examples of light and dark brown eyes in the various Disney birds, I think the dark brown end up just looking all black, and kinda creepy. Anyway, Kevin Kidney confirmed for me that the eyes are 14mm glass taxidermy eyes, for birds. I think the originals were (and still are) made by Van Dykes. Here is a link directly to the eyes you are looking for: Glass Eyes - No Wire

I am using their I14LBRL. They currently run $3.85 for a pair, plus postage.

Its been a while to be sure, but I’ve been cooking something in the kitchen…
Great to see him moving! I’d be interested to learn which software and control board you have chosen as the best way to move the motors? Another project on my list (also bird related!) is to re-create the seagulls found at the entrance to the Nemo ride in Epcot. Thought it’d be fun.

Great to see him moving! I’d be interested to learn which software and control board you have chosen as the best way to move the motors? Another project on my list (also bird related!) is to re-create the seagulls found at the entrance to the Nemo ride in Epcot. Thought it’d be fun.
Hi! I’m using a SSC 32 servo controller to move Hitec brand servos. The Software is called VSA - Visual Show Automation, which is Windows based.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back