Disneyland Tiki Bird Replica

Lord Hater

I always wondered what it was like to have been an Imagineer back in the 50’s and 60’s.

This picture in particular captured my imagination. I think that’s Leota Toombs – “Madame Leota” from the Haunted Mansion. God just look at her. Those rings, those nails, that scarf…The smokes next to the cat eye glasses…What I would give to have been there.
tiki_room_painter.jpg

Since I couldn’t, I tried to recreate that experience for myself and make a Tiki Bird.

The problem was I had no skills. I work in animation, but I’d never sculpted, made molds or cast resin casts. But I wanted to learn.

So not knowing what I didn’t know – I jumped right in! One year later, here I am. Excited to show my first bird!

IMG_5221.JPG

The first step was to sculpt the head. I took a class through the Gnomon Workshop, online, and it was great! It allowed me to produce this: the head.IMG_4683.JPG
(Ugh! So dirty!) A worskshop accident covered it in sawdust - but not before I made a mold!
And thanks to the patient people at Smooth On and Silpak, I made my first cast! With that done, I decided I would make all of the birds. No sense in going to all this trouble for just one bird!
IMG_4404.JPG
All the birds share the same basic head- (even the “girls.”) Only slight modifications with Aves Epoxy Sculpt were necessary to create Jose and Pierre.
IMG_4705.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Since the bodies would be covered on feathers and fur (and I hate sanding) I left the body and wing forms very crude.
IMG_4776.JPG
Above is the “V1” body, with the legs pointing straight down. After looking at the reference I realized that they should be sticking out at an angle. Easy fix.
IMG_5184.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_4407.JPG
The eyes were tracked down from the original manufacturer.

The fur was harder to source. Did you know the birds are mostly covered in faux fur? They are!

There are a lot of different faux furs out there, in a lot of different lengths and thicknesses.

The best come from National Fiber Technology. Owned by a former Imagineer, they specialize in furs for park walk arounds, animatronics, and creatures for film and television. But they’re EXPENSIVE – like $50 a square foot. So I had to find something that looked close.
So I ordered tons of samples from Fabric.com and placed them on the bird to see what looked best. Here you can see it’s a little too long. In the end I used pet clippers to trim the length down to what I thought looked right 5/8ths to 1/2 inch .

- - - Updated - - -

After that it was time to feather! Sadly the original feather suppliers, Hollywood Fancy Feathers, was going out of business when I called upon them. They didn’t have enough stock left to fill my order for every bird, but they did have enough to get me started. The rest came from the good people at Moonlightfeather.com, who will dye custom colors!

Did you know that birds have left and right feathers? They do! So after sorting through the feathers and trimming off the stems (quills?) I went about the business of hot gluing them on. The reference showed that they I start at the bottom of the wing and worked their way up.

IMG_5185.JPGIMG_5186.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Now it was time to apply the fur. I wish I could say I made patterns, but in my ignorance I just smeared the form with hot glue, stuck on the fur and trimmed the excess. Easy!
IMG_5193.JPG

Now it was time for the false eyelashes. So pretty!
IMG_5214.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

And here she is! My first bird!
View attachment 749853View attachment 749854View attachment 749855
More birds will follow!

Feet will be attached when she’s placed on her final perch… But that’s a whole other project!

Thanks for looking!

Exceedingly cool build. I really like the "off the beaten path" projects and you REALLY nailed it!

Now, of course, the next step is a crash course in animatronics. Right????

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.
I though about trying animatronics but just getting the project to this point was overly ambitious!
The rest of the birds are in progress!
I just need to learn how to dye this crazy acrylic fur.
if anyone has any tips I'd love to hear them!
image.jpeg

You did an absolutely FANTASTIC job! You should be so proud. We visited the tiki room at Disney World and it felt dated but in the best way possible- so 60s/70s!
P.s. Love the Eames.

Hi Lord Hater,
you can color the fur with "Sharpie colored markers" or you can also use "Copic markers" they have more colors. Both are alcohol based so you can also blend the colors together.
HMS Mike

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back