Cobra Kai Karate Kid tv comedy sequel

It was great, a little heavy on the "Threes Company" misconstrued situations to fuel soap opera drama but looking forward
to where they go next.

Finally someone mentions that Daniel won the championship with an ILLEGAL kick !!!!!!!!!!I

That has always driven me crazy !

See when you see it from another point of view Daniel was just as much at fault he kept escalating the situation .

Johnny pushed Daniel
Daniel punched Johnny
2 months go by then Daniel hoses down Johnny in the toilet RUINING HIS WEED so they beat his butt and mr M saved him .

You mess with me in the toilet i kick u butt !
You mess with my weed i kick you butt !

You do both at once ?

COBRA KAI MUTHA FRAKKA !!!

NO MERCY !!!!!!!

I'm gonna go throw 100 pounds of bird seed down at Larusso's car lot tonight at midnight who's with me ?

Last edited:
I started watching it last night after reading a few comments all the while trying to avoid spoilers. This show is great! They capture the nostalgia of the 80's, your able to connect with both main characters, and understand what motivates both on a certain path. They also have done well with showing the generation gap between Gen X and Millennials or whatever the generation after them may be called. I only got thru episode 5 last night, but pan to continue watching it tonight!

For those that do not have YouTube Red, they have a free 30 day offering, so you can trail it and cancel if you don't want to keep it.

I also saw they had an add when you search Cobra Kai for season two. I have not watched it but did see something on there.

Last edited:
I haven't watched the rest of the show, but regarding the Crane kick--I never understood the part about "If done right, no can defend against." Why not? What's so incredible about it? Why can't you block a kick?

I haven't watched the rest of the show, but regarding the Crane kick--I never understood the part about "If done right, no can defend against." Why not? What's so incredible about it? Why can't you block a kick?

Any strike "if done right" technically can't be defended, because you timed it right and hit the spot. ie you saw the guy was open and landed it while he wasn't in a position to defend.

The crane kick would come under the defence, very similar to an upper cut in boxing which is difficult to defend against. Now, in boxing, the upper cut tends to come from a combo, so the defendant is pre occupied with previous throws and struggles to pull their defence back in time to cover up. Or it is thrown on the inside when both fighters are close where it can be difficult to see.

In reality, the crane kick is a jumping front kick, nothing at all fancy. His stance telegraphed that kick a mile away, he literally wasn't in a position to throw any other technique. Johnny ran on to that kick and only has himself to blame for not seeing it. It would be more believable had he used it in a combo after a couple of punches or such.

Also, it wasn't an illegal kick, well, no more illegal then when Johnny kicked Daniel in the face first.

at 1min18

Or when Johnny kicks this guy in the face at 1:13, or Dutch kicking Daniel in the face at 3:13

Whole ot of face kicking going on, but it's illegal when Daniel does it?

Also, Johnny kicking this lad in the face at 2:12

Last edited by a moderator:
Go down to the comments section, ten years worth of overthinking it. LOL

Karate Kid Week: Disqualify Daniel Larusso
I’ve watched Daniel-san’s final, dramatic Crane Kick over and over, and I’m convinced that any decent karate judge would have kicked him out of the tournament for it.

https://www.overthinkingit.com/2008/12/08/disqualify-daniel-larusso/

The main article argues disqualification over excessive force, if that were the case Johnny would have been disqualified for the elbow to the knee. I've never really seen an issue with the kick, it seems perfectly in keeping with everything else we see through the competition.

The main article argues disqualification over excessive force, if that were the case Johnny would have been disqualified for the elbow to the knee. I've never really seen an issue with the kick, it seems perfectly in keeping with everything else we see through the competition.

Yeah, if teenagers killed or paralyzed each other it was not a concern at All Valley. This was the eighties! No safe spaces!

I always saw the use of the crane kick as symbolizing that Daniel had reached that state of internal "balance" that Miyagi was trying to teach to him. Miyagi nods his head in what I interpreted to be realization that Daniel finally understood the lessons when he sees Daniel in the crane stance. I guess to a trained fighter, Daniel's intentions were definitely telegraphed. The antagonist in KK2 spots it right away and counters when Daniel tries to use it in that fight. But I think anyone could be fooled by it if they had never saw it before or they weren't experienced.

Just my $0.02. I am not a trained fighter and I may be guilty of over thinking the interpretation as well.

Finished it last night. Fantastic.
Johnny is now my favorite character in this time frame. The guy is just misunderstood. The ending came out of left field a bit. And I can't wait till season 2

Finally got it finished.

I have to admit I fully expected this to be dire. But I was proved very wrong.

Possibly the most enjoyable TV I've seen for a long time. Everything seemed to matter, whether on plot or character development, no real padding in there which was great.

Bill Zabka did an amazing job, he was extremely funny but pained when he needed to be. They really managed to make me care a great deal about Johnny Lawrence. Daniel was also great and their stories played out together very well.

If I had one gripe, a minor nitpick, it would be that the tournament fight scenes were a bit stilted and some of the moves weren't executed all that well at all. But I have to wonder how much time they had from being green lit, to casting to choreographing and practising/filming. There possibly wasn't the time to polish this up a touch, hopefully the next season will be better. That said, we all know that its not about the karate, like Rocky is not really about boxing.

I always saw the use of the crane kick as symbolizing that Daniel had reached that state of internal "balance" that Miyagi was trying to teach to him. Miyagi nods his head in what I interpreted to be realization that Daniel finally understood the lessons when he sees Daniel in the crane stance. I guess to a trained fighter, Daniel's intentions were definitely telegraphed. The antagonist in KK2 spots it right away and counters when Daniel tries to use it in that fight. But I think anyone could be fooled by it if they had never saw it before or they weren't experienced.

Just my $0.02. I am not a trained fighter and I may be guilty of over thinking the interpretation as well.

I think your interpretation is spot on the money.

I think most people (experienced/trained) would certainly give him some space and not run in, try and see what he was going to do. But it is very in keeping with the Cobra Kai uber offensive style that Johnny would go for it, plus theyre under 18s so got the daftness of youth working against them.

The guy in KK2 was trained in the same Okinawan karate as Daniel, maybe not from the same life lesson standpoint, but we are lead to believe it was passed on from Miyagi's father, who taught Miyagi and Sato. So it is highly probable he would be familiar with the technique. It is often overlooked, but that fight scene was essentially a no rules street fight to the death with a mafia thug. Daniel is badass!

The last shot of the first season:
Seeing the old Kreese stepping from the shadows made me shout "OMG!"
But his entrance also reminded me a bit of the first Thanos stinger at the end of the Avengers.

Then it occurred to me ...

Cobra Kai is composed of a team -
Charismatic young guy struggling with his ego, like Tony Stark.
A girl who is constantly underestimated, like Natasha Romanoff (isn't her curly hair red?)
A little guy who is useless without his ability to harness rage, like Banner.
A guy who goes by "Hawk ...", like Clint Barton.
And the leader who is the most battle-hardened and 3 times older than everyone else, like Steve Rogers.

The Cobra Kai "life will kick you in the balls" speech in the beginning of the last episode, with the circling camera, seemed like a spoof of the Tyler Durden speech.

Loved this so much, this is how you bring back a dead franchise while staying true to the original.

Just a shame that it's on Youtube Red and not something like Netflix.

Did not think something this good and real could still be made in this day in age.

I absolutely lost it after Miguel fought the four kids in the cafeteria, and he told Johnny about it, and Johnny said:

“All four of them? Even that big, dumb one??”

I’ve laughed a ton during this, but that line just floored me. Zabka’s delivery of it was perfect, too!!

I just finished this first season. Wow... It was actually really good!

Had this been a movie I don't think they would have had the time to develop everyone as well as in this form.

Johnny was great. You actually get to see a whole other side of him and, mirroring what others have said, he is misunderstood. His upbringing, victim of bullying on his own and a bad teacher was what led him to be who he had become, but you really see that he is trying to fix himself.

I'm so glad they were able to make this happen.... and i'm so glad we will probably not ever see a Jaden Smith Karate Kid 2. I still never saw that film because you just can't beat the original and I'm so so happy they pulled in so many of the original cast to make this come to life. My inner child is very satisfied. What a truly awesome comeback after 35 years.

I get so tired of reading the "illegal kick" argument. I never took karate in real life, and maybe in real life it would be illegal, maybe not. But who cares, in the world of Karate Kid several other contestants got points for kicks to the face, including Johnny, so in this make believe world it's legal.

When Johnny said that, I took it more of him making an excuse for the loss and not wanting to be embarrassed.

Such a great series, can't wait for season 2.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back