Cobra Kai Karate Kid tv comedy sequel

So I binge watched all 10 episodes, I really, really liked it. Couple observations I had that I wanted to share in spoiler content...........

1. I think Ralph and William did a great job, acting was solid, sans a few minor scenes. They played well off each other.
2. The fight choreography, especially in the final tournament, could have been a little tighter. It didn't feel as fluid as it could have been, needed to come off as slightly less choreographed. (This is also one of the many issues I had with the Iron Fist).
3. Love, love that they didn't turn Daniel into something he wasn't (although he started to stumble), they didn't ruin what he stood for under Myagi. Quite frankly, I was worried they would do that and felt it would be unnecessary. So glad they didn't go that route, it would have been too easy.
3. On the converse, they also didn't turn Johnny into Mr. Nice guy, although he did learn a lesson and looks to have questioned his actions.
4. I loved the comedy with Johnny's role, his ignorance with the "current times" was great.
5. I knew Cobra Kai was going to win, but I love how it was a bittersweet ending. Johnny finally got what he wanted, but at a cost.
6. I posed the question a few pages back whether or not Martin Kove would make a cameo. Sooooo glad they did that, the ending was great. Totally want a second season now where Johnny and Daniel team up. I actually think they'll make better friends, like an odd couple, than enemies.
7. Some really great nostalgia, and I loved the back story with Johnny's step-dad.
8. Loved that they brought back Randee Heller as Daniel's mom!
9. Although I kinda wanted to see a fight scene between Daniel and Johnny, I'm OK there wasn't one, although they were close.
10. I liked that Daniel trained Johnny's son, that was unexpected. The conflict Johnny felt during the tournament was great.
11. I also liked Migeul's transition, he didn't start off like an a-hole.

I really enjoyed this, I couldn't stop watching, great story, great writing, some real funny moments, well done. I so hope they do another season.

Last edited:
I watched the two free episodes and it is really well done. I just can’t bring myself to do the subscription just for this though. I probably wouldn’t use it for anything else. :unsure

Get the free month's trial. Even at $10, it's worth every penny. Watched the entire series and it's fantastic. It was worth it for the REO Speedwagon scene alone. Actually, that entire episode. It's the best of a really well done series.

The girl who plays the Larusso daughter can definitely pass as Elizabeth Shue's daughter. I don't know if it's deliberate but she also reproduces a lot of Shue's mannerisms e.g. Ep 2 where she's talking to her dad. It's really uncanny.

The girl who plays the Larusso daughter can definitely pass as Elizabeth Shue's daughter. I don't know if it's deliberate but she also reproduces a lot of Shue's mannerisms e.g. Ep 2 where she's talking to her dad. It's really uncanny.

I haven't watched past episode 2, so I am not sure if they addressed this in later episodes.... but she isn't supposed to be Elizabeth Shue's daughter in the show, right?

I haven't watched past episode 2, so I am not sure if they addressed this in later episodes.... but she isn't supposed to be Elizabeth Shue's daughter in the show, right?
I presume so. That's why I wonder if she's just a very good actress that she can pull some of Shue's mannerisms.

I presume so. That's why I wonder if she's just a very good actress that she can pull some of Shue's mannerisms.

That just wouldn't make sense to me though. If you look back at all the previous movies, Daniel was not with her after the first movie. Recall... he had a new love interest in each film. Now, if she got pregnant between the first two movies and they broke up afterwards, they would have surely mentioned that he was a father in Karate Kid 2. Plus, that would mean the child was born in 1984/1985. That daughter would be 30 years old. So unless they play the storyline to be that at some point in the future, before he met his current wife, he rekindled his relationship with Shue for a brief time, then I do not see this idea as an option.

That just wouldn't make sense to me though. If you look back at all the previous movies, Daniel was not with her after the first movie. Recall... he had a new love interest in each film. Now, if she got pregnant between the first two movies and they broke up afterwards, they would have surely mentioned that he was a father in Karate Kid 2. Plus, that would mean the child was born in 1984/1985. That daughter would be 30 years old. So unless they play the storyline to be that at some point in the future, before he met his current wife, he rekindled his relationship with Shue for a brief time, then I do not see this idea as an option.
It doesn’t make sense, I agree. It’s just that, in the second episode, her mannerisms reminded me of Shue. Of course it’s something I wouldn’t have noticed if I didn’t have a huge crush on Shue in the 80’s (who didn’t?).

I don't think she's meant to be Allie's daughter, just a character with some parallels to her.

But, I loved this. I couldn't stop watching and now I'm sad that I finished and have to wait for more. I'll have to give it a second watch, but first impression was that they handled it really well. It definitely has some funny, but it's not goofy and it seemed to keep the heart of the original, even more than the sequel movies did.

In my opinion, THIS is how to revive a franchise from the 80s. Not to name any specific other franchises out there, but one or two others attempts could take lessons from this one.

Yeah like others said, I did the free trial just to be able to watch the show.

This show is very well done, like unbelievably so, with great production values too! I feel like Johnny is played really sympathetic at times, and showing that he knows that he screwed up at times too.

Yeah, gotta admit after the first two episodes I am intrigued. Still don't know if I want to subscribe to another streaming service, even if just to watch the rest of this and then unsubscribe.

What else does this YouTube Red have going for it? I had never heard of it before this.

You know what's weird? All these years I thought Johnny was one of those Van Patten boys.

Last edited:
Yeah, gotta admit after the first two episodes I am intrigued. Still don't know if I want to subscribe to another streaming service, even if just to watch the rest of this and then unsubscribe.

What else does this YouTube Red have going for it? I had never heard of it before this.

You know what's weird? All these years I thought Johnny was one of those Van Patten boys.

The only thing I know about YouTube Red is that it allows you to watch without any ads (that alone was worth $10 a month for me) and gives you access to some streaming music app, and some off-line services that I don't know much about as I haven't used them.

But Cobra Kai is a fantastic show, love how well it was done. I binged watch all episodes as soon as I saw the first one. Next to the first season of Daredevil, this is one of the best series I've ever seen. As a child of the 80s, it was so awesome to see these two on screen again. And I love how they didn't go the cheap, cheesy route. They were able to show some compelling struggles that were executed well. I know Ralph was pitching for a second season, just hope if they do they can keep the feel of the show fresh and alive. This first season will be hard to top.

Last edited:

I subscribe to YouTube Red because it allows me to download YouTube videos on my phone. I hate having to stream so I just download a giant queue of videos on my phone whenever I have Wi-Fi and watch later without having to use any cellphone data.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back