Cobra Kai Karate Kid tv comedy sequel

One thing is for sure this isn’t going to be just “so so” for most all of us... I feel it’s either going to be complete garbage, or an out of the park nostalgia fest of awesomeness!

i too like where the vibe of the new clips are going... serious, yet a bit 80’s corny humor and throwback...

trying to not not get my hopes TOO high, but again, I’m liking what I’m seeing!

Daniel does not seem much the student of Miyagi anymore, seems to have lost his way. So there
can be some big character arcs to follow and damn it I want these two to team up eventually! Of course
that could happen only in series finale. Well let's hope for the best.
God knows I've been quoting Cobra Kai mottos since the eighties. LOL

I'm not 100% clear why Daniel is so upset though to be honest?

Johnny opens a dojo = so?
Its named Cobra Kai = so?
Looks like hes teaching kids who have been bullied to stand up for themselves = great!

Why is Daniel being such a jerk? ("not while I'm around").. - who made him the dojo police?

Really? For me this is easy to understand. I mean, the guys of Cobra Kai were a bunch of cheaters, antagonists, and bullies. Did you even watch the movie? They beat his ass in front of everyone on the beach, were about to beat his ass in school, Johnny essentially assaulted Ali in front of Daniel at the dinner, they fought dirty during the competition.........just to name a few. Those guys were a bunch of tools. Is it really difficult to understand why he doesn't want that element to return? Daniel learned the art of karate and it meant something to him, like it did to Mr. Miyagi. He had honor, those guys didn't. That's probably why he's acting the way he is.

One of my favorite moments in The Karate Kid is when they were on the boat and Daniel was balance training. They have a back and forth exchange about why he wants to learn to karate. Daniel says something along the lines of learning karate so he can fight. And Mr. Myagi asks him if that's the reason he wants to learn. Daniel says no and Mr. Myagi says, "so why learn". And Daniel says, "So I don't have to fight". I thought that was a very powerful moment that emphasized the honor and art of self discipline in karate. Something the Cobra Kai guys didn't get.

I can't wait to see this, I hope they do it justice. I don't mind conflict, but it's too easy to make Johnny the bad guy again and I don't want to see Daniel's fate end up like Luke's in the TLJ where he loses control. The self-defense thing with the kids in the Cobra Kai trailer is fine, I just hope this has more depth than "Johnny is the bad guy again teaching shady karate" or "Daniel is the bad guy". There can be struggle, but I hope it's meaningful. And I hope they don't try and paint a picture that Daniel and Myagi had a falling out.

Thats sorta my point. Daniel doesnt know what the dojo or Johnny is all about. (is my take)

What I recall.

Johnny was 'cool' to Daniel after 'face kick'.. bullying by old coach..etc...etc
Daniel moved on to fight for his life...yadda yadda

Somehow they are back together again. Johnny is opening up a new dojo.. 'happens to be old name'...

Could it not be legit dojo? (not breeding 'a bunch of cheaters, antagonists, and bullies'?)

(After seeing that kick Daniel did at the water bottle. I wouldnt be too concerned!) LOL

Thats sorta my point. Daniel doesnt know what the dojo or Johnny is all about. (is my take)

What I recall.

Johnny was 'cool' to Daniel after 'face kick'.. bullying by old coach..etc...etc

Somehow they are back together again. Johnny is opening up a new dojo.. 'happens to be old name'...

Could it not be legit dojo? (not breeding 'a bunch of cheaters, antagonists, and bullies'?)

(After seeing that kick Daniel did at the water bottle. I wouldnt be too concerned!) LOL

Yeah, it'll be interesting either way. I do find it ironic that Daniel is busting Johnny's balls for beating up a bunch of teenagers who were bullying some kid when that's exactly what Mr. Miyagi did after the dance scene in Karate Kid when they chased down Daniel!

I think it would be cool if they both team up to fight another common enemy. With maybe Daniel not realizing at first that Johnny is trying to do the right thing, hence the comments in the trailer. Who knows, I'm still tuning in to see where it goes.........

Any chance we'll see a cameo by Martin Kove? Not sure, he did in fact lose again in KK3.

Last edited:

What I recall.

We can see the stencilling on the dojo wall of strike hard, strike first etc. And we see the mantra of no mercy running through it.

It seems that after being in a slump Johnny is using karate to make a bunch of kids look up to him so he can be the big man. Much like Kreese did in the original, to the point that Kreese's life fell apart when he lost the adoration of those kids.

Daniel is right to be worried, if Johnny had opened a regular dojo it would be different, byt calling it Cobra Kai and returning to the mindset clearly shows his direction.

It's a trailer and hard to assume anything Daniel does/doesn't know. Something has to drive him to do what he's doing again. It's probably a lot of misdirection to help keep you from guessing everything on the surface.

This looks far better than the reboot KK film I never wasted my time watching.

Maybe Team Daniel loses this time, Cobra Kai rises, and then 30 years from now we start over and Team Daniel wins, again. Given what I've scene from Hollywood lately, it could be a new trend..........

Ralph just tipped up with a guest appearance on Kevin Can Wait. He was pretty good playing against his more known persona. Obviously building a little exposure prior to the release of this.

I'm kinda liking this one theory I heard.

Johnny did learn to respect Daniel as a fighter, but still holds a bit of a grudge (understandably so... getting kicked in the face during a tournament and publicly humiliated will do that). Despite that, Johnny has become a better person, even if he doesn't want to admit it to anyone, least of all himself.

So one night, Johnny sees this kid getting bullied and has enough. He sees himself and his old friends in the bullies and hates it, which is why he kicks the crap out of them. At that point, something breaks in him and he decides to do something good to teach the oppressed kids some self respect, but he is stuck using the only way he knows how. Cobra Kai. Maybe to him, it's a means of taking the name and doing something positive with it.

Thats how I 'took/take' it...

(at least so far, from what has been shown)..

And another reason why I cant really see why Daniel is so dead set 'against' him.. (it -feels- like Daniel is the one with the grudge right now.. even making jokes about kicking him in the face, at Johnny's expense)

Possibly they are playing off some of the stuff from How I Met Your Mother, where Johnny is the hero of the original movie who learns valuable life lessons. Daniel isn't the karate kid, he barely knows any karate in the movie.

If you never watched it, it's a recurring bit that shows up a few times in the series and even results in guest appearances by Ralph Macchio and William Zabka.

Expanded scene with Johnny at the dealership at the end of this interview, very interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, what is YouTubeRed? Is this some other streaming service you have to subscribe to?
It’s a subscription service that allows added content, features and takes out ads in videos. I subscribe because it allows me to download videos on my phone when I have WiFi in advance so I don’t have to stream them when I’m on the road.

Sweet baby jeebus!

Just watched the first episode, this is gold so far. The production values are spot on and looks like the story is going to turn out to be quite solid.

The first 2 episodes are free on youtube then payment kicks in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back