The beginning of my A New Hope Graflex build!

I don't know how this can be true. My track is the only track made using specs directly off of screen-used track.
There is a Luke ESB screen-matched saber in the archives and my track is a perfect match, even with caliper measurements.
There are different sources of t-track out there, but NONE are as screen accurate as mine just for the record.

I'd like to get into contact with you about ordering yours. Should I message you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shots fired!!

I know, right? Let's keep my thread a place of "agree to disagree". A happy place where I can get help from all of you pros in order to get the best possible outcome for my graflex. [emoji4]All knowledge and opinions welcome. But I encourage friendliness!

I thought I would throw this into the mix...

I ran into Colin Skeaping at Comikaze last October in LA. He was Mark Hamill's stuntman for the original trilogy. He swore up and down, 100% positive, adamantly affirming that the strips were rubber. The prop guys on the set told him they were (and I quote) "tank wiper blades". Of course, tanks don't usually have windows, but I could give the prop guy the benefit of the doubt and believe he exaggerated a bit and that they were wiper blades from some heavy military vehicle with windows. I take it with a grain of salt, but he was there and I was not. Also, he held the original props and I did not. Also, he talked with the prop guys on set and I did not. So...for what it's worth.

I'm sure Skeaping is accessible for further questions about this (he would probably love the attention) and does anyone think it would be worth reaching out to any of the surviving prop department personnel for answers? I'm sure they would gladly tell what they know.

I don't buy it... remember Roger Christian ALSO publicly on record said they were indeed draft excluders... not cabinet T track or wiper blades as HE said before... So these "sources" can't be very reliable when they all contradict themselves and the physical evidence we have on hand from the original props that have the exact same parts still in private hands. We KNOW the original part was hard plastic. Whether it WAS cabinet track, draft excluders, etc... we won't know until exactly found. But we KNOW they were/are NOT rubber.

I don't mean to belittle their contributions in any way, I'm just saying they're not remembering right, and 40 years of fans fueling their memories with theories doesn't help.

If someone told me something I built five years ago, that I didn't document or remember much had a secret hot dog in a hidden compartment... I might have to believe it too.

I don't know how this can be true. My track is the only track made using specs directly off of screen-used track.
There is a Luke ESB screen-matched saber in the archives and my track is a perfect match, even with caliper measurements.
There are different sources of t-track out there, but NONE are as screen accurate as mine just for the record.

I believe if you say you got the dimensions, but I'm saying the extrusion profile... Todd looks to have replicated the subtleties correctly. Meaning, as you can see, the extrusion wasn't symmetrical. I'll have to look at your track tonight, it may also be asymmetrical, but I don't recall as it's been a while since I looked at it up close.

The track on the Luke ESB, Vader stunt ROTJ, and Vader ESB/ROTJ (and possibly the ANH) does not have that asymmetrical side.

interesting. So the blasters (sand trooper, ROTJ boba, and possibly E11s) had a different type? So if that's the case, then there were TWO types of T track used on OT props.

I'm just going by what I've seen first hand in person. I'm not convinced it's that cut and dry.

I just took a look at the "ranch" esb saber, and the vader stunt T track profiles, they actually match the boba fett blaster profile exactly. Hmmm vaderstunt13_1.jpg

Congrats on the Folmer find! They're beautiful pieces. I was able to find an early Folmer (no patent version) myself with the proper beveled glass eye, as well as a Exactra 20 calculator and sent them to Scott back in the spring for an FX conversion. He did an amazing job. You won't be disappointed.

Here's a link to the build: https://www.facebook.com/cruciblecustoms/posts/1580174992015825

Last edited:
I think the asymmetry you're referring to is just an artifact of the way the track was cut. It's not like they sanded the edges to nice finish or anything on the original props.
Here's a shot of the screen-matched ESB Luke 'ranch' saber.
I've held these pieces in person. Not just going off of pictures like the other t-track makers (no offense intended).

esb_luke_ttrack.png

Congrats on the Folmer find! They're beautiful pieces. I was able to find an early Folmer (no patent version) myself with the proper beveled glass eye, as well as a Exactra 20 calculator and sent them to Scott back in the spring for an FX conversion. He did an amazing job. You won't be disappointed.

Here's a link to the build: https://www.facebook.com/cruciblecustoms/posts/1580174992015825

That's awesome! I'm going to check out the thread right now! Congrats on the folmer without patent!

I think the asymmetry you're referring to is just an artifact of the way the track was cut. It's not like they sanded the edges to nice finish or anything on the original props.
Here's a shot of the screen-matched ESB Luke 'ranch' saber.
I've held these pieces in person. Not just going off of pictures like the other t-track makers (no offense intended).

http://ginodesign.com/starwarslifesized/misc/esb_luke_ttrack.png

I wanted to pop in and say a few things

1) thank you for sharing that photo - its new to me, and I'm always thankful when folks decided to inject a new one into the mix

2) The asymmetry Scott is talking about (if I'm right) are the inside corners between the horizontal and vertical faces of the track. One side seems to have a flat angle while the other has a deep cut / angle. If your dimensions didn't include the curvature (or lack therof) of the transition on both sides that may be where the miscommunication is.

3) I have Gino's track on my Skywalker Ranch saber. It's thinner than all the other track out there, and I think that is the most characterizing part of it, and the most noticeable accurate trait. It was such good track I took Apoxy Sculpt and rebuilt the track when my drill press blew out the side of the track as it wobbled.

DSCN2948.JPGDSCN2949.JPGDSCN2952.JPGDSCN2944.JPG

Half the reason I personally like Todd's track is the price, which is the cheapest thing out there today, though thicker. (also we're talking less than 1/16" but it does make a difference) Todd's asymmetrical profile intrigues me, and it certainly started a discussion here!

Yep I understand what he's saying. But I think it's an artifact left over from the way the track was cut.
In person, you can clearly see it's not like that along the length of the track itself, just sometimes on the end at the cut line.

Yep I understand what he's saying. But I think it's an artifact left over from the way the track was cut.
In person, you can clearly see it's not like that along the length of the track itself, just sometimes on the end at the cut line.
neat - do you happen to know if they used a saw or a hot knife to cut this stuff? I've tried both ways with mixed results. Infact, when I use a hot knife to slice it, extra plastic piles up on the edges that I have to file or sand off!

It's unclear. But you can definitely see that the ends were not sanded to a smooth perfect finish.
Also the angles for each track end appeared to be eye-ball cut as opposed to being precisely identical.
ANH-1.jpgANH-2.jpgANH-3.jpg
I eye-balled my "stunt" ANH saber and something felt ...right...about it. That would be it :lol I'll make sure to rough cut and eye-ball some of these props for real accuracy ;)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back