My 31" "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" Nautilus Build

Re: My 31" "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" Nautilus Build

well fellas, I'm about done with this one. only things left are drill and tap holes to screw the upper and lower together...I figured it's better in the event of lighting issues down the road, particularly if I sell it on Ebay. And then of course the prop surrounds and the struts. I also lit the stand to shine up on the boat, and housed the battery and switch in the wood box I turned upside down and cut a channel for the base's long beam. Turned out pretty nice. I didn't think a single 9V could support 25 LED's, but it seems to be fine. It's been a great build, enjoyed it, and thanks so much to everyone with you ideas and suggestions, particularly Timey...thanks much brother, this turned out so much better that it otherwise would have thanks to you. 20ksub1.jpeg20ksub2.jpeg

- - - Updated - - -

also going to go to the local trophy shop for a custom name plate for the front of the battery/switch box, for a final touch

I read that too, I replied and told him to let it roll off. I'm a Parts Manager at a relatively large Chevy store and have been in GM parts for 30 years...I told him the guy was probably a Corvette owner :lol . While there are some that are decent normal folks, it's always seemed to me that they are demanding, arrogant and think themselves to be the Masters of the Universe just because they have one. Vette-shmette...it's just a car.
No offense to any of you that may be Vette owners, but if you are...you know the type of folks I'm talking about
I received this notice from The Bob Martin site. Certainly hope he was not talking about anyone here.

https://www.rc-submarine.com/single-post/2017/10/16/Customer-Expections---A-Quasi-rant

the final few things, had a name plate made at the local trophy place, conveniently located a few doors down from my hobby shop. another setback was the strut bars from the prop surround to the rear of the hull...3/16 too short? what the...anyway I scratched some new ones from raw stock plastic I got at the hobby shop. name plate.jpeg

Re: My 31" "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" Nautilus Build

here are20k struts.jpeg my scratch built struts

- - - Updated - - -

can't figure out how or why these things were too short, everything else is how and where it should be :confused

I think Timey abandoned his thread cuz it was hijacked to the max.

Hi guys. Yeah, it got a bit hijacked. But I didn't abandon it because of that, life has just been nuts for months. Basically, we bought a house, which involved packing, then moving, then unpacking, and setting up a work space, and in the middle of all of this I got a compression fracture in my back, which is nearly healed now. I'm posting this because I'm actually finally at a place where I can get back on this horse. :)

Anyway, in a few days, I'll get back on this thing. Much to address:

I need to fiddle with the lights a bit more - I have wires breaking off from handling, which won't do when it's all closed up. SO there will be strain relics and shrink wrap tubing. I'm also going to re-think the reflectors in the lights. I had painted the backing silver around the LEDs, which isn't right - I need the light to be as diffuse as possible, so I'll not only pain the sounding area white, but also (and this is my next experiment) paint some translucent white paint on the LEDs themselves. They're way too directional, and that might make them "glow" more.

I don't recall if I mentioned it here, but I clumsily broke off the handles on the 3-D printed levers on the bridge. I got a replacement, which I need to paint and glue in place.

Not trying to hijack your thread at all Timey, but I thought you and others viewing this build would be interested in this I made for mine. I've got resin casts if anyone's interested just pm me.
31347224_2131418866898734_1033031791801270272_o.jpg31100549_10160186047685231_7354523284081213440_o.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back