My 31" "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" Nautilus Build

I sent that last picture I took to Masterpiece Models, pointing out the gap at the wheelhouse end, and they replied, "Looks like it fits as it should." I replied back with a photo of the 11' miniature, pointing out that the gap doesn't exist in any reference I can find (including the full size exterior set) - but I acknowledged that if the kit was designed like that, there's nothing they can do for me now. It won't be an enormous amount of work to extend it at that end, I just wish I didn't have to do it - it looks weird with that gap.

In other news, in a moment of incredible clumsiness, I snapped off (and lost) the tiny handles on the already painted and installed 3D printed dive levers. So I just ordered another set.

really!? you broke those twice? I/m not going to laugh...I know it's aggravating. that stuff is mighty fragile, right?
As far as Masterpiece goes, I will NEVER buy anything from them again. I'd rather pay more money to Bob at Drydock for a better product. I swapped a few emails with him regarding the quality of the Masterpiece kit. it's pretty crappy. Did I also tell you I had originally bought the 16" (no description on their site) only to find it was a one piece solid cast hull? I said I needed to return it because you can't light those, and buy the larger one. Those POS's wanted to charge me 20% restocking fee! Of course I raised h3ll about it, they still hit me for 10%!! and for a low quality product. NEVER AGAIN. I have a feeling my buddy in CA is going to want to "acquire" this one, in which case I'll have to get another one for myself...from Drydocks.

In other news, lol...I started fitting the salon floor to the lower, I had to dremel out quite a bit to get that thing in the right place, flat and level. other than that, I didn't do much last night except dremel out the opening for the speed screw. it was dremel night. still trying to decide what to do on the smaller salon window lights...that's a lot of LED's. I'd have to rig a second circuit and a second battery. one 9V can only run about 10, so my LED guy tells me. Not a big problem, just more work. I've got some 4 circuit toggle switches. can run 4 different power sources and voltages on one.
Well, I suppose I had better get to working here. Sorry you had all those quality problems with "Disaster-piece" but you're not alone, buddy :(:lol:thumbsup

I sent that last picture I took to Masterpiece Models, pointing out the gap at the wheelhouse end, and they replied, "Looks like it fits as it should." I replied back with a photo of the 11' miniature, pointing out that the gap doesn't exist in any reference I can find (including the full size exterior set) - but I acknowledged that if the kit was designed like that, there's nothing they can do for me now. It won't be an enormous amount of work to extend it at that end, I just wish I didn't have to do it - it looks weird with that gap.

In other news, in a moment of incredible clumsiness, I snapped off (and lost) the tiny handles on the already painted and installed 3D printed dive levers. So I just ordered another set.

Re: My 31" "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" Nautilus Build

Timey,

here's the salon, would like to have been able to give the sofa and curtain a velvety sheen, but couldn't think of how and gloss clear didn't seem like the right course to take, though I admit I didn't experiment on anything, yet. any thoughts on that? still can't decide whether or not to get Dry docks entire salon set...may wait for the next build. this one is fun for sure, and subsequent builds are always better anyway.
thanks dude:thumbsup salon1.JPGsalon2.JPGsalon3.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

I'll also have to experiment with the lighting to get it right

hey,
I just had a thought, do you guys have Michael's or Hobby Lobby out there? I wonder if there might be some clear hemi's or ever better semi-hemi, you know, shallow ones there...like large Rhine stone something or other that gals put on their clothes...
think I'm going to stop and check. might save all that sanding or at least some
I'll let you know what I find

I'm telling you, go to Amazon and search for cabochons. That's what I used. Tiny glass or sometimes acrylic half domes. Worked perfectly for me. Comes in all sizes.

Ah, right you are...I do remember seeing you post that...and like a dunce I totally forgot. Thanks my friend, much appreciated!! :thumbsup
I'm telling you, go to Amazon and search for cabochons. That's what I used. Tiny glass or sometimes acrylic half domes. Worked perfectly for me. Comes in all sizes.

This is where I started and just kept searching from there.
https://www.amazon.com/Cabonchon-Wh...rd_wg=T9kP6&psc=1&refRID=VKRPKDBGRJQF5BBTBFW2

I wish I could tell you which sizes fit each, but looking at my order history there, I ended up ordering six different sizes before I got all the correct sizes that fit perfectly.

Just make sure the glue you use dries clear. I don't remember which glue I used, but it was in the craft section at Walmart.

Last edited:

This is where I started and just kept searching from there. .........................
https://www.amazon.com/Cabonchon-Wh...rd_wg=T9kP6&psc=1&refRID=VKRPKDBGRJQF5BBTBFW2.............

I wish I could tell you which sizes fit each, but looking at my order history there, I ended up ordering six different sizes before I got all the correct sizes that fit perfectly................

I did look yesterday, and did see the 6mm (1/4in)
I didn't order yet cause I stopped at Hobby Lobby to see what they had. all they had were the ones with the gem cut edges. for 3 bucks I bought them but still want the smooth ones. Going to get the Amazon ones today. Thanks for bringing that to my attention a second time.
I'm also considering doing another rather involved modification to this boat and want some feedback before I try it.
I'm building this one to look like the scene where Ned show up after the other guys are already on board. The main hatch is open, and there's barely the tip of the hatch poking out, and all the panels to the rear are up at an angle with what appears to be perforated panels showing.
I realize I might ruin the piece cutting it up. I was going to email Bob Martin and see if he or anyone else he knew of had ever done this mod, and hopefully get a procedure on it. a lot of work I know, but it sure would look good.
what do you think?????????????

Thanks my friend :thumbsup ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Just make sure the glue you use dries clear. I don't remember which glue I used, but it was in the craft section at Walmart.

- - - Updated - - -

naut6.JPGthis is what I had in mind...

- - - Updated - - -

there are times when this site is most uncooperative

20k 1.JPG20k2.JPG20k3.JPG20k4.JPG20k5.JPG20k6.JPG20k7.JPG20k8.JPGso what I did was hobby saw the vent/hatch piece in two, separated the vent tops and sanded them to around 1/16 inch, same with the bottom half. I wanted to build all this on the bottom piece so I could paint and weather it separately. I think my brass plates could have had smaller holes and more of them, but...

- - - Updated - - -

I glued blocks together and shaped them as bases for the brass plate and tops

- - - Updated - - -

oh yeah...I took the last two hatch pieces, stager stacked together and cut the end off and glued them to appear as if they were retracted into the wheel house

hey, Timey...
I ordered myself another one of these from Bob at Dry Docks cause I think my buddy in CA is going to want this one. but just in case he doesn't, I sent an email and a couple of pics of the work so far to Bob and asked him, if I put it on ebay, what I should ask for it. he replied, he'd trade me one of his kits, the salon pkg and a crew figure set for mine "as is". what do you suppose that's about? and he never gave me a $$ figure as I asked for.
I think I'd better hang onto it, what do you think?

TW: Opening the breathers adds so much detail to the finished boat. Very nicely done!
Tommie

Last edited:
I've often added a small piece of styrene to fill the gap between the raker arch and wheelhouse. This is a slight flaw that was in Scott Brodeen's original castings which I believe are now manufactured by Masterpiece.,

I've often added a small piece of styrene to fill the gap between the raker arch and wheelhouse. This is a slight flaw that was in Scott Brodeen's original castings which I believe are now manufactured by Masterpiece.,
that's what Timey is doing...I filed and sanded mine a bit and got it within the thickness of a matchbook without messing up the arch angle and flow, but as Timey pointed out to me, the wheel house all the way forward, it leaves a gap at the rear. so I'll be adding a bit more. Bob Martin tells me his kits are a much better quality, more money yes, but better pieces and an optional piece for the vent flaps up, that I just spent about 4 hours figuring out how to do. I gotta re-do the brass anyway...not enough holes and they're too big and not consistent and straight.

- - - Updated - - -

thanks, I still need to do the brass over...it's a bit sloppy with the holes too big and not straight
TW: Opening the breathers adds so much detail to the finished boat. Very nicely done!
Tommie

From reading you guys' posts, I guess the one I have is not the one you have. I got mine directly from Bob and it was (discounted) at $300. I was wondering why yours was a darker resin than mine. Mine was more of a light brownish/gray before painting. But it was a really good cast, I didn't really have to trim anything. Between the price of the kit, all the paints and other stuff I had to buy, plus having to spend $100 on a new compressor for my airbrush, I'd say I spent a good $600 on mine total.

But yeah, it did come with two different sets of breathers, one open and one closed.

yep, Timey and I both made the mistake of getting ours from Masterpiece...Disaster-piece is more like it, there are pieces in this kit that are completely useless. it was 200.00 and that was WAY overpriced for the quality. I've swapped email with Bob, he says master's castings are for crap, which they are. I ordered one from Bob the other day. I'm going to ebay this one if my buddy in CA doesn't want it too. will do Bob's kit to the 9's with the whole salon and probably some fiber optics in the wheel house, and a sound module...and that one I'll keep for me
From reading you guys' posts, I guess the one I have is not the one you have. I got mine directly from Bob and it was (discounted) at $300. I was wondering why yours was a darker resin than mine. Mine was more of a light brownish/gray before painting. But it was a really good cast, I didn't really have to trim anything. Between the price of the kit, all the paints and other stuff I had to buy, plus having to spend $100 on a new compressor for my airbrush, I'd say I spent a good $600 on mine total.

But yeah, it did come with two different sets of breathers, one open and one closed.

Just got my Boat from Bob at Dry Docks...far superior quality of pieces, molds are much better and everything usable...except for the wheel. not a problem though, got an extra from Shapeways. Well worth the extra money as opposed to the Masterpiece kit. also, there are optional pieces not supplied in the Disaster-piece kit. breather vents up and half open main hatch, as well as some other parts I'm not sure where they go, but definitely weren't in the other. Also got the salon kit, looks like more pieces than in the pic on Bob's website.
Thumbs up to Bob (y)thumbsup:D

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back