Satin Finish On a Latex Mask

Seaplane

I'm currently painting a mask for an animatronic character and I'm trying to figure out how to achieve a satin finish. I'm using Monster Makers paints, but they give a flat matte finish.

Here's some photos of what I'm trying to do.

awesomefatz.jpg 244.jpg

It's not glossy, but a leathery kind of satin look. I was considering using latex mixed with ammonia and pigmented with a satin black acrylic paint, but wanted to see if there were other suggestions.

Liquitex sells a great line of sealers, matte varnish, gloss varnish, and for your case, a satin varnish.
I usually seal all of my latex mask work with Liquitex. They're available at most craft and hobby stores, a little pricy but they last forever.

IMG_1784.JPG

It needs to be thinned a little if you plan to airbrush it. I usually just use water. Brush painting or sponge painting it is fine to go right on top of your black, or you can even mix it right in to your Monster Makers paint.

Best of luck!

Liquitex sells a great line of sealers, matte varnish, gloss varnish, and for your case, a satin varnish.
I usually seal all of my latex mask work with Liquitex. They're available at most craft and hobby stores, a little pricy but they last forever.

It needs to be thinned a little if you plan to airbrush it. I usually just use water. Brush painting or sponge painting it is fine to go right on top of your black, or you can even mix it right in to your Monster Makers paint.

Best of luck!

Fantastic! Thank you so much. That looks like it's exactly what I need.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back