X Wing VRS Tie Fighter helmets

kevin926

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
OK. I have been doing a lot of research on pilot helmets lately. Mainly X wing, Ties and AT AT buckets. starwarshelmets.com has a ton of info on these, however no forums or contacts to ask questions. So I need to bug the great minds here.

I have learned that the Ties are nothing more than a stormtrooper face plate bolted inside the X Wing helmet with some added greebies and a new Mohawk tip. And AT AT buckets are repainted Ties with their own added greebies. Fun fact that many of you already know is , the AT AT is not white, but is a light gray. Also, only 2 were ever made.

Anyway, my questions will now begin.

I have an excellent X wing kit from darthhair already. I also bought some extra shells to make the Tie, and AT ATs, along with a couple of stromtrooper face plates from ATA.

The only issue I have found so far is the Mohawk from darthhair is only 2 inches while the original screen used Tie has a 3 inch Mohawk.

Did they widen the Ties during assembly to fit the faceplates, and the x wings are 2 inches, or is my X wings Mohawk incorrect? Its not a biggie because I can simply cut a 3 inch cover piece. I would have to make a new tip but, oh well.

I know the tie is accurate at 3 inches because they have a tape measure covering the helmet.

The AT AT has soda charger holders they call the hangers, but are shown empty. I have seen Master Replicas use inserts in the hangers. Yes or No on the inserts?

Both original screen used AT AT and Tie are both missing some greebies. Do they both use the metal pieces over the ears and if so, are they both using the same piece?

Please feel free to add to the list of questions because I'm sure, someone will ask a great question that I forgot about, or didn't know to ask.

Thanks in advance
Kevin

Yes or No on the inserts

yes

atat_pilot_side_2.jpg

"The only issue I have found so far is the Mohawk from darthhair is only 2 inches while the original screen used Tie has a 3 inch Mohawk.

Did they widen the Ties during assembly to fit the faceplates, and the x wings are 2 inches, or is my X wings Mohawk incorrect?"

They widened the TIE helmets to accommodate the faceplate. So you're on the right track, use a 3" strip on top of the mohawk and fashion a wider front piece.

Only the TIE helmets have the metal discs on the ears (same record player pulley used on the Imperial officer caps).
The AT-AT helmet had no greeblies, just a circle of reflective tape.

You did not list that TIE fighter and AT-AT driver helmets have vacuformed ear pieces also.

The mohawk strip on X-wing helmets is two inches wide, yes. From what I have gathered, the width is more accurately from 46 to 50 mm, and I would not be surprised if there was actually some variance between individual helmets. It is clear from seeing the movie that some helmets were a little wonkier than others. ;)
The TIE's strip is wider to accommodate the face plate, yes.

BTW. There was a time when most fan-made X-wing helmets you saw had a too wide mohawk, and the most accurate shells were made by those who had replicated TIE fighter pilot's helmets first. The latter had accurate sized helmet shell and face plate, and could deduce the mohawk width from that - but someone did also measure a screen-used helmet at one time and made that dimension known.

Last edited:
Aswome work guys, I knew I could count on you. Thanks.

LIke I mentioned above, starwarshelmets.com has a ton of info but no way to ask questions. The AT AT AND TIE buckets are original form the movies but are clearly missing parts.

My next move would be to find those that produce and sell the accurate greebies. Any leads?

Thanks again
Kevin

You guys are great for info but really bad for my wallet:confused

Great leads! Thanks, I'm on it.

Thanks again
Kevini

Last edited:
Anyone buy gaubes off of shapeways (3d printed)?

He has the pillbox and hangers. Very curious about them.

Anyone know of metal or cast hangers that are accurate.? I have read that they exist but no luck finding them yet

The AT AT has soda charger holders they call the hangers, but are shown empty. I have seen Master Replicas use inserts in the hangers. Yes or No on the inserts?

Both original screen used AT AT and Tie are both missing some greebies. Do they both use the metal pieces over the ears and if so, are they both using the same piece?

Master Replicas? Anovos maybe.
The inserts were present on screen used BOC holders on AT-AT helmets. You can get excellent inserts cast from the original Sony recorder and BOC casts on 501st forums, as well as other greeblies: http://forum.armoredcavalry.net/

OK, I bought and pulled apart a Sony TC 67 to get the buttons off. My question is, are there other pieces on this old tape deck used for other props?

This is a rare case where the actual real parts cost me less than buying 4 resin copies, and still have 2 buttons left over.

also found 1 of 2 BOC charger holders. I see 1 or 2 in lots for 50 bucks, however, I paid less than half that for a bottle and complete set up with shipping. Looks like there may not be a demand for ATAT parts or people just dont know what the original part was. Resin copies cost more

Last edited:
Don't forget that the face plates are Hero, not stunt . The tie/ at at helmets are huge because of the wide Mohawk .
If you are replicating one, study the photos on star wars helmets very closely to see how they are assembled. Most get the forehead area very wrong .

Don't forget that the face plates are Hero, not stunt . The tie/ at at helmets are huge because of the wide Mohawk .
If you are replicating one, study the photos on star wars helmets very closely to see how they are assembled. Most get the forehead area very wrong .

Oh yes, I have been collecting parts and doing tons of research. Starwarshelmets.com has been my main photo reference along with 501st armoredcavalry.net

I'm watching a few different lenses now (hero bubbles and smoke)

Does ATA have a website? I have a couple of trooper faceplates tucked away that I intended on doing the same thing with.

I'd like to see how his pilot helmet castings look.

Does ATA have a website? I have a couple of trooper faceplates tucked away that I intended on doing the same thing with.

I'd like to see how his pilot helmet castings look.

Not that I'm aware of. He doesn't sell pilot helmets. I am making a hybrid using darth hairs rebel helmets combined with ATAs faceplates. Darth hair is ramping up to release his pilot helmets soon. I did get the ears and mohawks from him. His faceplates are symmetrical and ATAs are asymmetrical. That's why I choose to build the hybrid. I wanted my outer shells to be identical as well as my stormtrooper helmet and pilot facepates, seeing how they will be displayed together.

How does one reach darth hair then? I'd like to get the rebel pilot shells... I have 5 TK faceplates and I'm minus one capback and another is messed up...

How does one reach darth hair then? I'd like to get the rebel pilot shells... I have 5 TK faceplates and I'm minus one capback and another is messed up...
He has an etsy account. Look for the rebel helmet that comes with a foam liner. That ones his. Send him a message and he will reply. Might take a few days because he's always busy

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back