Vader's Melted Helmet - Research and Build

avagoyamug

Hey everyone!

I dove into this new hobby head first only recently, but plan on a fun project to be one of my first bigger ones... I feel that my particular skillset is pretty perfect for this prop, since I have some experiece sculpting organic form and have a keen eye for detail.

I loved the melted helmet prop on first sight and wanted to sculpt one myself for some time now, I already started blocking out the form in my 3d sculpting tool and plan to 3d print it in several parts on my ultimaker original.

I wanted to ask you guys for help while I document my progress here. Thanks to Propshop, theres's some nice reference out there, but still I need more angles - anything I can get!
So I wanted to shout out to you guys - does anyone here have one of the Propshop Helmets, and could help me out with some 360° Photos (of the backside in particular)?

Thanks in advance, and enjoy the show!

Here are all the pics I collected from this forum/rebelscum forums/other references online. I don't own any of them, but saved them cause I also planned to try to 3D model the melted vader helmet :)

Photo Jul 09, 3 45 33 PM.jpgPhoto Jul 09, 3 45 37 PM.jpgPhoto Jul 09, 3 45 41 PM.jpgPhoto Jul 09, 3 45 47 PM.jpgPhoto Jul 09, 3 45 51 PM.jpgPhoto Jul 09, 3 45 55 PM.jpgPhoto Jul 09, 3 46 00 PM.jpgPhoto Jul 09, 3 46 08 PM.jpgPhoto Jul 09, 3 46 12 PM.jpgSan-Diego-Comic-Con-2017-EFX-Collectibles-016.jpgPhoto Jul 24, 9 21 57 AM.jpgPhoto Jul 23, 4 12 24 PM.jpgPhoto Jul 21, 2 33 01 PM.jpgPhoto Jul 21, 2 31 28 PM.jpgPhoto Jul 09, 3 46 21 PM.jpgPhoto Jul 09, 3 46 16 PM.jpgfxJ8TG.jpgf56pz4.jpgvY4mQ6.jpgvY4mQ6.jpg20160624_112356_zpsfbs5rsam.jpggea3gM.jpgPhoto Jul 23, 4 12 34 PM.jpgPhoto Nov 23, 9 59 46 PM.jpg

Thanks a lot PAMPatine, these are great!

I put in some hours already, but I want to wait until it's looking a bit more detailed, until I show stuff - right now, I'm still getting the general landmarks and proportions right.

Soon more!

Great start! I want to sculpt vader's melted helmet for a while, Really looking forward for your project ;)

Thanks guys for the warm welcome, and PAMPatine, thanks again for the reference - these are great and will help a lot!

Btw.: Did anyone find more precise info regarding the exact size of the prop? The old propshop site stated it was 53 L x 30 W x 45cm H, but you can never be shure if thats the dimensions of only the helm itself...

Last edited:
Another small update, thanks to PAMPatine, who provided me with a rough scan for size and proportion reference - I managed to get the general shape much closer to the real thing! Really happy with the general shape, now detailing further..

2.jpg

So, sculpt is pretty far now - at this point I would be thankfull for any critique, if you spot anything that you think is off or any detail that's missing!

3.jpg

Thanks TRCViper!
Next I will propably cut it into printable pieces and then maybe start of with a 1/2 scale version as a test.

I definitely plan to print a fullscale version for my self later, but I'm not shure if this casts very well - I also have very little casting experience...

Can anyone confirm the length of the Helmet is 53cm?

I need to know before I can plan the print and I didnt find much info on this..

Thanks MasterEdi! I love your work on Artstation, BTW!

Started printing a first 1/2 scale version on the weekend... on lowest quality setting this looks quite promising already. The fullscale version on higher quality will print ages though, this already takes about 6-9 hours per part.

rR5gZyfSQK-YNUHqKN3Yqsu6fnCf_RSx1tEE_j2Jz-Y.jpgmVRmndcOxQK3fUIzJ-qYKZBJsikQ0jvoY7Y4dcbgXcM.jpgv93yepMLy-s00QkrNk_wgAsyjnh5x6ObvA1uOMwr-yQ.jpg

Another small update, 1/2 scale print is complete, but hat some issues with my printer... next up coating it with some filler primer and sanding.
Also I need to put some detail in the two "bits" on the front of the mouth piece, which didn't come out that nice on my printer in this scale.

10.jpg12.jpg11.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back