Easy or Affordable way to etch PLA for Rub N Buff?

Spacecataz

I'm printing a crown from Game of Thrones for Halloween (4 pieces) and i'll be using PLA in 100 microns. I tried using Rub N Buff on 1.6 layer height and the RNB "stuck" ok on flat bits but peaks or edges just refused to to be coated. Can I use for example, vinegar instead of pricey and messy plastic surface prep spray to make the PLA more porous?

As you can see the piece is extremely intricate. The piece I printed in 1.6 layer height even after hours of tedious filing and sanding, still showed lots of layer lines. My plan is to "etch" the crown by dipping or spraying it then using the RNB before using XTC-3D to even the surface and as an extra bonus seal in the RNB.

Any help or catcalls would be extremely welcome.

Crown: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:87469

IMHO having worked with rub and buff before, I would stay away from the XTC-3D and just use a combination of sanding and filler primer to get your crown nice and smooth. RnB shouldn't have an issue sticking to a good coat of primer, and it will help you a lot in evening out those print layer lines.

Just how I would do it my $0.02

- - - Updated - - -

Also XTC-3D is nasty stuff that you really should wear gloves, safety glasses and a respirator with an organic vapour cartridge if you are going to be working with it.... Smooth on really downplays the safety issues around using it on their packaging.

Just to add to Kokanee's post (with which I wholly agree), I doubt the XTC-3D would stick well to a rub-n-buff (wax) coated surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd also suggest applying a base coat of whatever color you're trying to achieve with the Rub and Buff, ex. silver. That would eliminate uneven coverage, but then applying the RnB to the piece once that base has cured will allow you to bring it to a shine. Just be sure to let the base cure full before applying the force necessary for buffing the RnB.

Alternatively, you could use the base, but then use the RnB to highlight it

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back