Brian's Blade Runner Builds

Hey Brian, been following this from the shadows since grabbing one of these radios after the pictures were released.
I was curious to any thoughts about the areas on your source image that are highlighted. Some sort engineered hole, that I cant find on versions of the radio (interesting german KANAL label just above). As well as the paint texture, could that be the prop maker painting over older preexisting paint?

Untitled-1.jpg

Hey Brian, been following this from the shadows since grabbing one of these radios after the pictures were released.
I was curious to any thoughts about the areas on your source image that are highlighted. Some sort engineered hole, that I cant find on versions of the radio (interesting german KANAL label just above). As well as the paint texture, could that be the prop maker painting over older preexisting paint?

Yes, they appear to have drilled a hole there for some reason. I'm not sure whether I will include that or not. The second area you highlighted is just a piece of graffiti. (I have another reference shot showing the top section a little more clearly) and the last area looks like a pre-existing lump of rust or something, that's been painted over.

I am curious what those large numbers/letters on the top surface are. the second area was actually more about the "orange peel" in the red paint. There does seem to be two tones to the red, the darker tone could be due to wear and grime,

I am curious what those large numbers/letters on the top surface are. the second area was actually more about the "orange peel" in the red paint. There does seem to be two tones to the red, the darker tone could be due to wear and grime,

Yes, I'm curious about the graphics on the top as well. You can see a bit more in this image but unfortunately the strap gets in the way of seeing it properly.

proptop.jpg

I've made the same observations. I figure the hole is either some sort of light (maybe a power indicator) or a dent (or even a bullet hole? ). The label says 'channel' in German (I guess you already know that), which makes a lot of sense, given that we are talking about a radio (is it also used as one in the film?). It looks more like a military label, than something the prop maker would make up. So maybe its a sticker from another military item?
I'm also interested in the meaning of the characters. I tried to translate them with Google Translator, but it only points me to some singer and a person on Facebook.
Plus there are rivets and slots in the clasps, which at least Candykiller's and my radio don't have. That would mean that there is some sort of variation between different models?

Candykiller, I really like your progress and once more have some questions: What was your process to apply the white numbers? I plan on making stencils with a vinyl cutter and then applying spray paint. And how did you create the 'fuzzy' worn down edges around the numbers? The only way, I can imagine is masking with tooth paste or something similar.
Also thanks for the last image you posted, I haven't had one, that showed that much of the topside.

Oh, and by the way please forgive me, if I make any spelling, grammar or punctuation mistakes. If you want, please point them out to me so that I can learn!

Hitwert - Yes, I’m going to add those rivets to my build. (fake rivets, at least) For the numbers, I hand-cut stencils using masking film (that’s the roll of film in the background of my latest photo) and stippled the numbers using fast-drying oil paint with a stiff brush. The jagged edges are just the result of deliberately avoiding putting too much paint around some of the edges.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m currently at the planning stages of a scratch-built Officer K blaster, and thought I would share the best reference photos I’ve found so far, in case they are useful to other budding builders out there

And here’s a composite image I’ve pieced together to get a sense of the true side view.

View attachment 748005

Nice work. This is growing on me.

It's strange that everyone thinks they drilled a hole in the casing. Every PRC6/6 I have come across has a channel indicator window there. Mine came from the 'dismantling' of a NATO facility in Italy and it too has the channel indicator window on the side, just like the BR2049 prop. I think Kanal is German for channel.
I also agree that over-painting rather than stripping first is the way to go for a realistic finish. Might have a go with mine at the weekend if I have time.

2017-08-03 09.42.35.jpg2017-08-03 09.42.43.jpg2017-08-03 09.42.47.jpg

2017-08-03 09.42.35.jpg

2017-08-03 09.42.43.jpg

2017-08-03 09.42.47.jpg

It's strange that everyone thinks they drilled a hole in the casing. Every PRC6/6 I have come across has a channel indicator window there. Mine came from the 'dismantling' of a NATO facility in Italy and it too has the channel indicator window on the side, just like the BR2049 prop. I think Kanal is German for channel.
I also agree that over-painting rather than stripping first is the way to go for a realistic finish. Might have a go with mine at the weekend if I have time.

Ah, right - that one also has the rivets on the clasps. There must be slightly different models then. I agree that over-painting would work fine with yours, but my one was thick with layers of rough flaking paint, so I kinda had to strip it.

It would seem the one with the indicator and rivets is somewhat of a rarity. Cant find it at all. Mine is pretty much the same type and condition as yours Brian.

userd1402- Would be great if you could take some close with measurements for the indicator and kanal plate? Shouldnt be too difficult to scratchbuild that part.

It would seem the one with the indicator and rivets is somewhat of a rarity. Cant find it at all. Mine is pretty much the same type and condition as yours Brian.

userd1402- Would be great if you could take some close with measurements for the indicator and kanal plate? Shouldnt be too difficult to scratchbuild that part.

I had the exact same thought :).

I also noticed that the "proper" version has thicker metal at the parts that hold the strap.
The version with the channel indicator might be a later version. That would explain, why BradWright's, Candykiller's and mine have flaking paint. I also don't think one would remove the channel indicator when iterating. I'm interested in the interior and origin of your versions. Mine seems to be from Germany, since the labels on the inside are German (but poorly translated).IMG_2073.JPG
It is also missing a label, one module and the battery.IMG_2075.JPG
The speaker and microphone are covered with some sort of rubber disk.IMG_2079.JPG
This is the model number.IMG_2077.JPG

I guess this is another one to add to my growing list of Blade Runner projects. I must say, this is quite impressive for a water pistol. It could definitely be converted into a decent looking blaster.

untouched.jpg

I think I'm just going to leave out the channel indicator window on my build. I will add the kanal plate though.

- - - Updated - - -

Some more details added. The graphics look too prominent at this stage, but they will be toned down later when I start fine tuning, adding grime layers, worn metal effects etc.

rt06.jpgrt07.jpg

rt06.jpg

rt07.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back