Forest queen (original character)

simplearts

Hi guys.
This is my first post here so bare with me if this is out of place or belongs somewhere else.

My GF and I have been working on this Forest Queen costume and we are quite happy with it.

0f28436d3901dce59e8a52e524d3b792.jpg

The dress is made from leather pieces sewed together, the shoulder pieces is made from Wobla and the horns I did as a 3D model and printed them.

I am currently considering using this for a project where I'll be needing some stunt word and needs to make the horns both lighter and more flexible.

c401ee8ea58dd5dc460d92ca850ea141.jpg

I've concidered silicone mold and slush casting them for lightness. But I don't know how I should do the mold.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I absolutely LOVE this post! The photograph to start it all off is gorgeous! You and your girlfriend did great work on the costume.

In regards to making the horns lighter for stunt work, once you have a hold, you can perhaps make a "skin" of the surface with silicon or rubber latex, that then has foam (the type you can get at Home Depot or similar places) injected. That way it is rigid enough to maintain the shape, the skin will hold the details and can be painted as desired, and it should be lightweight in theory. It may be a method that can be combined with the post above by HYPH8.

Either way, great work! Hoping to see more pics as your project progresses.

Very well done! I love the colours!

I don't personally have a lot of experience with molding and casting but there are tons of mold tutorials on YouTube; I really like the punished prop guys. Here's a link to their molding and casting playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0pv3kDKynQ&list=PL6q0fd3ileWLwTQ6pOUb8isS4BYLjkNhH

Good luck!

Meagan -- HYPH8 --
Thank you so much for the link. :)

I will be looking through their tutorial more thourough.

Most of the techniques I'm fairly familiar with. My challenge with theese horns are that the shape is intertwined.
I'm fairly puzzled as to how I would do it.

But hey I'm sure with some more Youtube research the answer will come :)

Thanks again

Last edited:
I absolutely LOVE this post! The photograph to start it all off is gorgeous! You and your girlfriend did great work on the costume.

In regards to making the horns lighter for stunt work, once you have a hold, you can perhaps make a "skin" of the surface with silicon or rubber latex, that then has foam (the type you can get at Home Depot or similar places) injected. That way it is rigid enough to maintain the shape, the skin will hold the details and can be painted as desired, and it should be lightweight in theory. It may be a method that can be combined with the post above by HYPH8.

Either way, great work! Hoping to see more pics as your project progresses.

Thank you so much.. :)
This would actually not be a bad idea for a test... My problem is that it has to not crack given action scenes. So I think that foam from home depot is perhaps to rigid.. But I do have some flexible casting foam somewhere in the cuppard...
I'll give it a try...

Thanks man... (and thank you on the photograph as well)

- - - Updated - - -

Amazing costume work and a great photograph.

Thanks spacedog..
I'm hoping to get my crafts up to the same level at some point... :D Just keep at it!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back