CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND Returning To Theaters

This will be a treat for me, as I have not seen the film in ages. I can vividly recall the ending--but leading up to that, I don't remember anything besides the pillow and the shaving cream.

Thanks for the heads up.

The Wook

I don't think it'll hit the drive-in's (least, not here) but I'll be sure to catch this in the theaters. The last 30 minutes still make me tear up.

Also, love the film but didn't care for the "modern" trailer for this. Makes it seem like something that it's not.

Wrath of Khan is also being rereleased in September. Maybe Hollywood has figured out that it is cheaper and more profitable to rerelease movies than it is to remake them.

Sent from my Hewlett Packard 48G using Tapatalk

Close Encounters I saw when it first came out in 70mm...so-so film, but I would see it again if it was projected on film.
Seems like all of the rereleased movies are all digital..digital=no depth

I don't think it'll hit the drive-in's (least, not here) but I'll be sure to catch this in the theaters. The last 30 minutes still make me tear up.

Also, love the film but didn't care for the "modern" trailer for this. Makes it seem like something that it's not.

Yeah that trailer didn't work for me either.

- - - Updated - - -

Raiders had a 1-week IMAX re-release in 2012.

Yep, and boy do you notice more flies landing on everyone. LOL

Last edited:
This is one of the strangest endings to a film I've ever seen...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i too found it odd. What I never understood is why there seemed to be three very different types of aliens.

The purpose was to convey they had different races like us. So super tall, the short little ones, and the guy that likes to make hand gestures all represented a different race.
But it seemed to cause more confusion than it was worth.

Also the 'Berg mentioned the special edition was a mistake showing the interior, so this should not have that included. It was totally unecessary but he was dealing wth studios and making deals at that time.

I think another point of confusion was that Neary was chosen, he heard the cosmic call, that is why the aliens walked past all the others and they were rejected, they came and chose Neary alone, he was the only one that made it that far passed the government stopping everyone else. Jillian I guess could have gone too, but she didn't want to, so there was some choice involved I think and she just wanted her kid back.

i too found it odd. What I never understood is why there seemed to be three very different types of aliens.

My whole thing for me is, you left your wife and kids to go off with a giant spider alien and little alien baby's?

Came off really sick lol

My whole thing for me is, you left your wife and kids to go off with a giant spider alien and little alien baby's?

Came off really sick lol

Well how I see it, it was a cosmic calling larger than everything else, he wasn't an astronaut seeking it like maybe a Dave Bowman, he didn't ask for it, he was just a Joe Everyman, and the stars called him home, he did try to fight it, but slowly he was changing. Perhaps it was part of an inevitable next step in human ascendance, the literal higher calling. The aliens there to guide him, that this was how things happened all around the galaxy. His family would be looked after I'm sure. And he could return to his family as we saw the others, but now he would guide the rest of humanity to the stars.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back