MCU Spider-Man Homecoming ELECTRONIC lenses!!!

So here is the first video. Lets just consider it a "Proof of concept".

This isn't the final speed or travel distance, but it shows the top right eyelid moving.

[video]https://www.facebook.com/CandeeGeeks/videos/1204932229612802/[/video]

So here we go, a decent demo.

Lots of bugs to work out and stuff, but I wanted to get a video up TONIGHT. I'd quite like to get them opening and closing faster. Might be running slow because I have them powered from 3.3v instead of 3.7, we'll found out I guess.

I'll also be changing the "eye lids" at some point because I'm not cool with the shape. This will do for today though :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks awesome! I think you're right, it needs to be faster. It's going to be so cool to have them so expressive. Keep working!

It looks awesome! I think you're right, it needs to be faster. It's going to be so cool to have them so expressive. Keep working!

I will have this working perfectly eventually. I may have to move the servo linkage to get more movement per step

fantastic. absolutely. may I ask you what you used as the point of rotation? the kind of stick that is coming out

The pivot is just a regular notice board pin for now. It cant stay like this because it sticks out the front lol. It's easy to take in and out during prototyping though.

This is awesome :D, Also bought some of TJack's faceshells months ago. I'm also trying to do this with the servos and stuff but was busy at work and other stuff so didn't really much have time to work on it. I have a different concept on how the lenses would shutter, if my concept didn't work maybe I'll just have to do the same thing as yours lol (if you're okay with it and reference your thread).. Mind if we could get a video on how the lenses working inside the faceshell? :confused:) Looking forward to your work :)

This is awesome :D, Also bought some of TJack's faceshells months ago. I'm also trying to do this with the servos and stuff but was busy at work and other stuff so didn't really much have time to work on it. I have a different concept on how the lenses would shutter, if my concept didn't work maybe I'll just have to do the same thing as yours lol (if you're okay with it and reference your thread).. Mind if we could get a video on how the lenses working inside the faceshell? :confused:) Looking forward to your work :)

I'll have a video of the inner workings once everything is installed into the face shell. I don't want people rushing ahead of me.

I'd be keen to learn your shutter method though. I'm growing increasingly more agitated with the shape of mine, particularly after re-studying McLeans.

IF ANYONE HAS ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE ASK THEM WITHIN THE THREAD.

Just so I don't get asked the same questions billions of times in PM :) It hasn't happened yet, but my inbox was a bit flooded during the Iron Man faceplate thing, usually asking the same questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
A little off topic, but I'd just like to get answers from somebody who actually has it. Your electronic MCU lenses are looking really great so far! I do have some questions about the face shell though. Do the edges of the shell have like a glass/sharp texture that one would need to sand first? Is it easy to cut? Durable or does it feel like it would break or snap? And finally does the face shell have this indent on the mouth area as well?

Screen Shot 2017-08-11 at 7.17.35 PM.png
I'm sorry for asking too much questions, I just don't want to bug TJack :lol I've been sending him a lot of messages lately. Thank you in advance!

A little off topic, but I'd just like to get answers from somebody who actually has it. Your electronic MCU lenses are looking really great so far! I do have some questions about the face shell though. Do the edges of the shell have like a glass/sharp texture that one would need to sand first? Is it easy to cut? Durable or does it feel like it would break or snap? And finally does the face shell have this indent on the mouth area as well?

• The edges are not sharp at all no sanding required on mine.
  • I cut it with a blunt craft knife, took a while to get through it, but yeah, it's easy.
  • It is slightly flexible, but I have no concerns about it snapping.
  • Here's a side image for your enjoyment:

20170811_125543[2517].jpg

No, the edges don't needed to be sanded but the lenses do if you bought a pair from him. Yeah I could say it is easy to cut the eyes off as I just used an X-Acto knife to cut the eyes off on mine. It is durable and I didn't really feel that it would break or snap while cutting the eyes off (If you're going to buy one of from him, the clear faceshells are a little thicker than the black ones).. I don't get what do you mean by if the indent on the mouth area? :confused

View attachment 750854
I'm sorry for asking too much questions, I just don't want to bug TJack :lol I've been sending him a lot of messages lately. Thank you in advance!

Sorry if I felt you rushing :( . Don't feel agitated, we know you can do it :) can't wait for the finish product :D

I'll have a video of the inner workings once everything is installed into the face shell. I don't want people rushing ahead of me.

I'd be keen to learn your shutter method though. I'm growing increasingly more agitated with the shape of mine, particularly after re-studying McLeans.

I gotta say, this thread has been the most successful and detailed one I have seen for the mcu spidey moving lenses! :)

Really looking forward to this project!

Are there any updates :confused I'm working on a manual version to be incorporated in my faceshell, and be controlled by the chin. I'm having some trouble with it, so I am reeaaally looking forward to this :popcorn

Back to the drawing board for the time being. I'm not happy with the shutters, I want something more contained.
Yeah, I understand what you mean. However, I just wanted to clarify, are you going to be moving each individual shutter piece with a separate servo, or just containing the moving parts to a few pieces?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back