Smoke effects

Wimismith

One of my projects that I'm working on if a rocketeer rocketpack, and I'm wanting to rig up a smoke effect with it. For the most part I have it figured out, just have to see if I can cobble something together without buying an e-cig as my hotend. Working on this today has gotten me wondering though, what are some smoke effect projects that some of y'all have come up with? I look forward to seeing talks responces. Mine basically uses a coil to heat fog juice up, then uses an airbrush to blow air across it. If I can get it working just right, this should produce a nice thick fog. I know the principle works, because I've seen drip type e-cigs work this way when former coworkers were checking to see if they had enough juice in there e-cigs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If youre not locked into a wall outlet for power its easy to rig a small smoke machine but odds are youre after the ability to smoke while being worn. Simple is best. Ive actually used E-Cigs is numerous instances where both cost and size were the main factor. Its easier than you would think to hack them with the big plus being the smoke is actually vapor vs what a smoke machine puts out. No stinking up or damaging the surrounding area as well as no damage from the heat required to turn the fog juice to smoke. Stick with what works at the basic level. No need to over think things or reinvent the wheel.

E-cigs and smoke/"fog" machines work on exactly the same principles. I have seen examples of both e-cig liquid in a smoke machine and vice versa.

The ingredients in "e-juice" that make the "vape" look like smoke is the glycerol ("glycerine") and/or propylene glycol. The latter is considered mildly toxic and should be avoided.
You could perhaps use glycerin in pure form, diluted or you could use the ready-made liquid used for model railway locomotives or smoke machines that are supposed to be safe. That way, you won't subject people to all the other stuff that are in e-cigs.

There are lots of misconceptions about the safety of e-vapour, as well as there are many compounds in different brands and varieties of "e-juice" where the health effects of inhaling it are not fully understood and not regulated for that use at all.
Just because a compound is safe to eat does not mean that it is safe to inhale. For example, I give you popcorn lung, where workers at a "popcorn flavour" plant have suffered health effects from inhaling the flavouring in aerosol form.

You also don't want to get into an argument with the security guards at a convention about these things. So, stay safe.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back