Who has Qui Gon's lightsaber post ROTS?

Sluis Van Shipyards

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I saw that new Sideshow Toys Mythos Obi Wan figure (I thought this was a statue series?) and he has Anakin and Qui Gon's lightsabers attached to his pack. At first I was thinking Obi Wan probably had Qui Gon's lightsaber in his room at the temple and wouldn't have had time to get it. However since they went back to the temple post Order 66, I'd guess he'd have time to get it, and would want to retrieve it. So does that mean that Luke would have Qui Gon's lightsaber in the OT and beyond? I doubt if Obi Wan left him a book with information on Jedi stuff (don't know if that is canon or not), which is supposedly how Luke knows to build a lightsaber, that Luke would have left that lightsaber at Obi Wan's house.

There is no official canon reference yet on where qui gon's saber is

BUT With the new comics Obi wan left a journal for Luke to find, with one part showing/explaining to Luke how to construct a Lightsaber from scratch.

The theory is ( and nothing official yet, but by the way the comics are heading I hope it follows through) is that Obi wan has kept qui gon's saber this whole time and is stored somewhere in his hut on tatoonie .

We also know there is spare parts left in Obi wan's hut thanks to the journal

With Luke's RoTJ having a green blade...I am willing to bet Pablo and the canon crew with take this internet fan theory and bring it to life (just like he just recently did with captain Rex being the old guy with the white beard on endor, fans wanted it and Pablo delivered) but with his Lightsaber having a green blade, The fan theory believes the journal is going to explain how to disassemble qui gon's to scavenge the crystal and use the crystal to build a new saber from Obi wan's spare parts

I really hope this theory does become canon. I love everything about it

I will tell you this, after ANH and I believe BEFORE Luke gets the journal in the book "heir to the Jedi" Luke is given a cross guard Lightsaber and he try's to take it apart, because he's afraid to fiddle with his Lightsaber encase he can't get it back together

Unfortunately, the book was so horrible I didn't even finish it... so I don't know what ever happened...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I can't see Luke taking apart Qui Gon's lightsaber unless Obi Wan told him to. Heck Obi Wan could have had a tool kit with repair parts for his lightsaber, and maybe extra crystals. Who knows. I just thought it was cool if Luke still has it.

So now they are saying Rex being that guy is canon? Rex would still look like Temuera Morrison so that's kind of a stretch.

I can't see Luke taking apart Qui Gon's lightsaber unless Obi Wan told him to. Heck Obi Wan could have had a tool kit with repair parts for his lightsaber, and maybe extra crystals. Who knows. I just thought it was cool if Luke still has it.

So now they are saying Rex being that guy is canon? Rex would still look like Temuera Morrison so that's kind of a stretch.

yup, at celebration filoni shocked us all with Rex's new look for rebels season 4. and sure enough its the dang endor gear. pablo confirmed that its rex on endor and he's not alone. Hera is also with rex on endor during the ewoke attack. we just never get to see her

as for qui gon. i think Luke would take the saber apart to harvest the crystal. i think crystals are pretty rare in the OT universe since the empire took control of the temple and learned of all the planets with them. once the located all the planets with crystals the crystals were mined to fuel the death star. looks like new canon the crystals are refined and fuel the death star, but they dont last long?

its still cloudy on how exactly the crystals power the DS. but from what we have gathered, they grind them to dust, and that fuels the blast? they have gone across the galaxy mining all the kyber they can get... so obiwan's journal may explain this in the future, that they use to be plentiful but for now find the one in his masters old lightsaber and use that.

i kinda wish i finished heir to the jedi, because now I'm wondering what happened to the cross guard and that crystal? i remember he did ignite it, and he did open it up and fiddle with it...

i completely agree with you. it sure would be cool if luke did have qui gon's.

yup, at celebration filoni shocked us all with Rex's new look for rebels season 4. and sure enough its the dang endor gear. pablo confirmed that its rex on endor and he's not alone. Hera is also with rex on endor during the ewoke attack. we just never get to see her

as for qui gon. i think Luke would take the saber apart to harvest the crystal. i think crystals are pretty rare in the OT universe since the empire took control of the temple and learned of all the planets with them. once the located all the planets with crystals the crystals were mined to fuel the death star. looks like new canon the crystals are refined and fuel the death star, but they dont last long?

its still cloudy on how exactly the crystals power the DS. but from what we have gathered, they grind them to dust, and that fuels the blast? they have gone across the galaxy mining all the kyber they can get... so obiwan's journal may explain this in the future, that they use to be plentiful but for now find the one in his masters old lightsaber and use that.

i kinda wish i finished heir to the jedi, because now I'm wondering what happened to the cross guard and that crystal? i remember he did ignite it, and he did open it up and fiddle with it...

i completely agree with you. it sure would be cool if luke did have qui gon's.

One would think the death star plans would contain how the DS worked considering the death star was basically the support structure for the massive gun. The complete technical readout should contain the process of how the gun worked, otherwise, they'd never know that a torpedo to the exhaust port would cause an overload without know the amount of power it's using - and where.

I'm glad to see that there's someone else who thought of what happened to Qui-Gon's lightsaber. And to see the fan-theories, mixed in with the Sideshow statue are pretty cool, too!

I remember back in 1999(!) I had asked "What do you think happened to Qui-Gon's lightsaber?" on the Forums at JediCouncil.net, and was met with nothing but smart-ass remarks. Of course, I was(?) a smart-ass myself back then, so I guess it was warranted.

In regards to the Luke theory: if I needed a lightsaber, and saw a perfectly good one lying about, I wouldn't take it apart to make a brand new one. I'd just use the existing lightsaber.

Maybe, but I'm thinking that if that theory was true, Obi Wan might have told Luke to use that crystal and build a new lightsaber, like a proper Jedi.

Then he apparently wrote that Luke was to take out the Emperor and bring down the Empire. Once that was done, sit around for 20 years and not do anything. After that start a Jedi training school. Make sure you don't have any fully trained Jedi in that period, the same period were I was already a 20 year old Padawan, perfectly capable of whipping a whinny upstart who throws temper tantrums, who might attack your school. And then TFA happened. :)

I'm glad to see that there's someone else who thought of what happened to Qui-Gon's lightsaber. And to see the fan-theories, mixed in with the Sideshow statue are pretty cool, too!

I remember back in 1999(!) I had asked "What do you think happened to Qui-Gon's lightsaber?" on the Forums at JediCouncil.net, and was met with nothing but smart-ass remarks. Of course, I was(?) a smart-ass myself back then, so I guess it was warranted.

In regards to the Luke theory: if I needed a lightsaber, and saw a perfectly good one lying about, I wouldn't take it apart to make a brand new one. I'd just use the existing lightsaber.

if my memory serves me correct, in obiwans journal he states Luke needs to construct his own lightsaber eventually as thats what all the jedi have done, and is part of their "heritage". i think luke would have taken it apart just to put it together because he looks at it as just another jedi test

he's been wanting to take apart the graflex since heir to the jedi, this is why he started toying with the cross guard. which i know think fell down into the sewer system... i think it was ignited when it fell and lite up the long pit as it fell into darkness... i could be making that all up but i vaguely remember..

i think like you in the real world, if i needed one i would use one thats already made. not worth taking the chance! :thumbsup

I always felt the whole "Jedi build their own lightsabers" thing to be a bit cheesy. Smacks of fanfic.
Do samurai forge their own swords? Do policemen make their own guns? It's silly.
But, post prequels, I find the Jedi cheesy in general. I liked the concept better when there was some mystery behind it.
Not trying to start a flame war, just bored and reading stuff and posting things. Carry on.

I think in the case of Luke, though, it would be imperative he learn to build his own lightsaber. He's the last of the line. If he doesn't learn, no one will be able to make them anymore. Perhaps that's part of the reason 'jedi build their own'. You have to learn, so the knowledge can be passed along.

I think in the case of Luke, though, it would be imperative he learn to build his own lightsaber. He's the last of the line. If he doesn't learn, no one will be able to make them anymore. Perhaps that's part of the reason 'jedi build their own'. You have to learn, so the knowledge can be passed along.

Exactly! That's the most important part!

I always felt the whole "Jedi build their own lightsabers" thing to be a bit cheesy. Smacks of fanfic.
Do samurai forge their own swords? Do policemen make their own guns? It's silly.
But, post prequels, I find the Jedi cheesy in general. I liked the concept better when there was some mystery behind it.
Not trying to start a flame war, just bored and reading stuff and posting things. Carry on.

I think the idea was to make the process more spiritual than that between a Samurai and their sword. Since the Jedi interact with the lightsaber using the Force, and the crystal is connected to the Force, it makes sense if they build it themselves. Well to me anyway. I'm also guessing the Jedi Temples have facilities with parts already made for them to use. It's not a situation where they have to have the parts made, like a Samurai sword. Then later on you could have a fancier version made I guess. Also the Jedi needs to know how to repair it, and constructing that would teach that as well.

Hey Gang! All I have to say is...

Journal-shmernal!

Who needs a journal when you have... Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, and Anakin Skywalker FORCE GHOSTS!

All they have to do is 'POOF!' in and say, "Hey Jedi wannabe, here's how you use the Force. Here's how you do Force Jumps and Flips. Oh, yeah, HERE"S HOW YOU BUILD A LIGHTSABER!!!!"

Though there is precedence for a samurai taking another samurai's sword and shortening it, or putting new hilts and fittings on it; and being that the Jedi are based on that society, I can't say that I don't see it ever happening that a Jedi would dismantle another Jedi's lightsaber to reconstruct one of their very own with parts from that one. But, I hate the idea personally, and would hope that they would hold the lightsaber of a mentor's mentor in highest regard and not do anything with it in that manner. Use it against the Dark Side in a time of need when no other lightsaber was available, ABSOLUTELY! Pull it apart to see how it works or break it apart to scavenge from it (assuming it's in working order) ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!

All that journal needed to say is "Hey dummy, don't forget to Force call me in times of need. My number is 1-888-DIAL-OB1." :D

p.s. The answer to the question is....

"Before we started shooting, George showed up with a huge gilded box. In it were lightsabers, and he asked me to pick one. I chose one, and he said, 'That's yours now.' It was quite a moment. And I did get to keep it—it was mounted for me at the end of the film. I was thrilled." ―Liam Neeson

;)

Agreed. The prequels and all the crappy EU stuff ruined the Jedi. I always saw them, and still do, more as something akin to a Navy SEAL. They're not frickin monks. In ANH Kenobi says, "I was ONCE a Jedi Knight". I never thought they were superheroes. Highly trained. A cut Above the rest, like a SEAL is. They serve their term, and then that's it. They had force sensitivity, which through training made them formidable warriors. But, they were warriors. Not robed monks with magic crystals and superhero powers. The fanboy writers really took the Jedi into dopey territory.

You must have missed the part where they can use powers to move things, jump far, trick people, choke people, appear to people after death, etc. in the OT. Also Obi Wan said he was "once a Jedi Knight" not in that he served a term, but that the entire organization was wiped out. There's no one left to recognize him as such and he has no authority anymore.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back