In Search of Lightsaber Breakdown by Character / Movie

barbaric62

Edit: found the guide pinned to the top of the SW forums. {facepalm} Anyone have similar info on Episode II and III?

I know that there are various differences in the lightsabers for each character by movie, and sometimes variations in the same movie. Has anyone done a definitive publication that breaks down each lightsaber? I'm specifically interested in the lineage of Anakin to Darth to Luke to Rey, across Episodes II, III, IV, V VI and VII...knowing full well that certain sabers were lost and rebuilt as part of the story.

The dream is to create a wall with functioning saber hilts with pictures and captions regarding differences.

Sorry, as I'm sure this has already been covered at some point, but after an exhaustive 23 second google search, I'm out of options ;)

Last edited:
Member Luuke used to have a site that explained all the lightsaber histories. Not sure if its still up

Other than the main characters, the prequels frequently showed Jedi re+using lightsabers from each other. Their explanation for this were "clans" that used the same saber

Jedi Clans = lazy production design

Thank you!

Anyway, the visual dictionaries do specify a few b list characters have lightsabers. This is ki Adi Mundi and windu, Adi Gallia etc. After that, I personally consider, chronologically those to be the intended design. Other stuff seems to be copies of those.

On a side note, ki Adi mundis lightsaber is a cool remodel of Luke's rotj/v2 saber. I find that to be one of their successes, and wish I owned one

I don't know the official word, but my understanding is that each Jedi's saber is supposed to be unique and handmade... but if you think about it, it doesn't make much sense. How many designs could there be? Its like every marine having a different rifle. Common sense suggests most were made off a common pattern - just the extra red button or removed beer tab.

Yes, I know its fiction, just sayin'.

Think less marine making their own rifle, and more every samurai forging their own katana. When you add philosophy and dogma to the process it makes a lot more sense.

This is it, right? Still love this.
OOOF! Except for the butchering of "Adgerian and Kiaber crystals" there on page "A", that's a pretty neat compilation!

I don't think we'll ever see Leia's Padawan #1 Lightsaber in a Disney owned movie though,... it's a little naughty looking.:$

Great work on that site-- but does just re-affirm my hatred for the PT sabers and the laziness on lightsaber design. Golden age of the Jedi, and we get 3 basic designs.

Golden age of the Jedi, and we get 3 basic designs.

You could look at this in a couple of different ways though...

1. Jedi Academy had a "Build Your Own Lightsaber" set of boxes and you walked past it and picked up parts you wanted to use. ;)
2. Lightsaber production was carried out by The Jedi Temple Armory, much the way the Japanese made swords for their army. Even way back, not every "Samurai" had his own sword made for him, they were quite expensive.
3. The PT production crew didn't have SethS's phone number, and never saw the Show Your Custom Lightsabers Thread.
4. There was a Lightsabers-R-Us on every corner next to Starcredits (<---get it?).
5. ....shoot, I had a couple more, but they escaped my mind as I had to run around and seal up the house. 1st nice day in over a week and some jerk has to light a patio-fire. Getting to bed tonight should be WAY FUN, now that my bedroom smells like a firepit!!!:devil

Anywho, gotta go blow my nose and see if I can dig up a filter mask, <--- super allergic to smoke.

Prequel stuff was all scratch made. Pics and measurements can be found easily by googling individual sabers. Everything else is covered by the genius who made the guide

Unlike the Sequels just go to toys r us and pick up the screen used props there =/

Really?

Cause Rey's belt hanger is a vi rage Graflex. Kylo's is scratch made, but at least it looks like nothing else.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back