Sideshow Fett, broken hand need repair advice

sadly we have sent 2 emails, and have heard nothing back..... i am hoping he's able to just buy a new arm. i doubt it.. but i also sent a email asking what the figure is made out of in fear of chemical reactions.

i tell ya, after seeing this and how theres really no help in fixing something thats broke. i dont think i would ever invest this kind of money in a side show life size. buy it once and your on your own.... he's got over 25 grand in life size figures, not even including all his other side show stuff, and they can't even return a email?

very poor customer service, and very poor product control

Yeah, it's unfortunate for sure. My dealings were while they were still sideshow weta. Weta split from them a few years ago. Not sure how they operate or do business now. They may have pulled the page once they went outside the smaller statues they were known for. I wouldn't consider a life size resin piece. Much too fragile. I do own a gandalf staff from united cutlery and it's made of resin. It is mounted on a wall and no one is allowed to touch it in fear of damage. To each their own I say, but no way for me. Besides, I would rather make one myself so it's as accurate as possible. Not too sure on the accuracy of these life size sideshow pieces.

I would drill and epoxy two rods into the stump in the gauntlet, then use plumber's epoxy to mount those rods into the hand, after scuffing up the inner surface of the hand part. Hold or strap it in place while it sets.

Pouring any kind of material in something like this would make me very nervous.

I couldn't agree with you more. IF I DID, I would use a thin sheet of styrene or other plastic to line the inside before adding resin. This way, it would not spill or leak out. It would also give added strength to the parts that were glued back in place.

Ok guys, so here we go. My buddy came over tonight with the broken arm and all the supplies we talked about to fix it. It went together pretty well. I think I had more time in prep then actually drilling and mending

So the scariest part my friend said was the hand so we started with that first. Drilled a hole for a pour spout, started with a small drill bit and worked our way up enough to get a small funnel stuck in it

c36a1ef33bcb6eb6c5d2cb8e7267ebc6.jpg

Drill bit through the inside
56d56174a7aa4554a0e0c1043c87eae4.jpg

Next I prepped the gauntlet with some tape and then began drilling. He liked the threaded rod idea. So I drill a hole smaller then the rod and tapped it
175449f69a715283fe632fa1c3f78ad6.jpg

Next up, we wrapped and covered the fragile greeblies with foam
173e7955cae32b291fe3cc10db116222.jpg

Spun the rod in, perfect.
c131d810cee0ca2a34a3f26dea3b4869.jpg

Ended up cutting the rod to length, then making a "primitive" jig to hold the arm vertical so we could epoxy the hand to the arm
88561e93cade5b14ebb5796220440681.jpg

Now working with glue and gloves I kinda skipped a few pictures of progress. But I waited 30 minutes until the epoxy was hard. I know with loctite, it says it takes 24 hours for a complete cure. But this gorilla glue 2 part epoxy said only 30 minutes

We debated on waiting until tomorrow, or trying the resin tonight. I think we both were anxious to just do it and get it over with. I know I probably wouldn't have slept thinking if it would have worked or not

c2dc491ea7cd0e1abc7b89fbbf772931.jpg

I left out, it may be in the pictures but he brought some beans to measure how much resin to mix. It worked out pretty good with the measuring cup

Anyway, I mixed the 2 part resin and began the pour, it kicked so fast!! I ended up dumping it before it completely cured and mixed another half batch.

This screwed up our bean count, but I lucked out and measured how much resin was left before I dumped it, so I made up the remainder and poured

You see everything was good, the whole project went fine!! Here I am thinking man I hope this resin doesn't get to hot and pop the epoxy joints and have resin pouring everywhere...

So confident with this project and on our last pour, I began to slowly spin the arm around like a roto job. Fine piece of cake, until it came rushing out. There must have been a pin hole some where (my buddy did end up finding it) and when I roto cast it she leaked out and down the gauntlet. (Behind the wrap)

I had a little bit left in the cup so I used that as reference of work time before this stuff turned hard as a rock

We quickly began striping the Saran Wrap and foam off. And washed it with sponges and simple green ( I love this stuff)
123c1b8fce446caa33f420b2777b38f3.jpg

Don't know how I took this picture of the unwrapping because we were rushing like all hell trying to get the 30 layers of wrapping off..

In the end it cleaned up very well, we went over it 3 times checking and cleaning. We really lucked out.

But 2 hours and 48 minutes in (had my watch recording our time) we were beat... the last 10 minutes of cleaning before it kicked and turned rock hard was alreally anxiety provoking but we worked as a team and got it done!! But now we can joke about it

Beaten by the fett hand below
1c5df88dc8be00b65081b3a5af6a762d.jpg

A job well done, thanks to all you guys help here on the rpf! This wouldn't have gone so smoothly with out you all.

Thanks!
07e5c7a9e39124fb0868b0c3f5d1d426.jpg

d17c59cf062c767a4bdbc6f9dd060d5e.jpg

1bf3c2f1eea8a0a3c5d5d8c8e8e88000.jpg

3ff1ce30fec9d43a86fcc9b62569fee7.jpg

2102ad8f39187b1fa562be87bc5cf12f.jpg

Hey, guys. I'm the owner of this thread's Fett in question and I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone who gave advice and their opinions. You all were life savers!

I did hear back from Sideshow today. As expected, they did not have any inventory for this model. My Fett is from the initial 2014-2015 run, as such, the sucker has (I've been told) gone through some heavy re-engineering (body, armor, soft-goods, and parts keying). As a result, parts are not interchangeable. So yea, this does kinda suck and can make life difficult. Important life lesson learned: carrying eight and a half foot long boxes through a tiny living room is a bad idea until you've moved EVERYTHING.

But anyway, again, the whole point of this rambling post is to extend my sincere gratitude to every one of you.

Thank you guys! Wouldn't havent been so successful with out all this great advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any thoughts on shortening the neck? If you take about an inch off, it looks a million times better.

Boba's neck? I know he had a friend shorten in when they got it.

I am no fett expert, I'm always asking thundergod questions about him since he knows him inside and out. I can't tell if his neck is too long now?

All in all these are pretty damn good replicas. I know there is a lot of hate for side show, but for a mass produced item they are really nice. I really love the yoda, the paint job on screen does not do enough justice.

It's a really great job, the eyes aren't glass and it's amazing how life like they look in person.

I'm just pissed at their customer service. We basically got "yeah that sucks, we don't have any stock parts. Start a ticket, good bye"

This isn't some 200 dollar figure, this was a very large purchase and to treat the customer like this... leaves a bad taste in my mouth

I told him, screw it. We'll it out. And thanks to the RPF we did!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boba's neck? I know he had a friend shorten in when they got it.

I am no fett expert, I'm always asking thundergod questions about him since he knows him inside and out. I can't tell if his neck is too long now?

Yeah, his neck still looks a little long in the pics. That's one of the things Sideshow fixed with subsequent waves.

Glad to see it's been fixed!

Personally I would have lit SSC up. For almost $9K they better stock replacement parts!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back