David Ayer's Bright (Post-release)

Re: David Ayer's Bright

I think this looks like great fun. Maybe now I can finally get my husband to read the Dresden Files books as this has a similar feel. LOL

Re: David Ayer's Bright

Bleh.

Will Smith in a movie that has a not-so-subtle racism theme?
Looks like Alien Nation meets The Hobbit.
The only draw for me would be Noomi Rapace and Edgar Ramirez.

Spot on analagy, but im in. Its not like its gonna cost me $50 to take the wife to the theater.

Just caught this on Netflix, I liked it. It’s a good TV movie alright, the concept is interesting, the world is interesting, cast does its job... Nothing spectacular. Wouldn’t go see it in theatre, but if you’re already paying for Netflix, it will entertain for a couple of hours. And if they do a sequel, I’d watch it. Now how they spent 90 million on this, I don’t know !

Wow, thank God I watched this on Netflix. LOL. I was really hoping this would be another Alien Nation but got another TLJ experience. Huge disappointment. Damn what a waste of a movie opportunity and 90 million dollars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just finished it and I thought it was ok. The world they created was really awesome but the story didn't fell a little flat

I hope to hell nobody lets their kids watch this!
When you hear its a modern day Lord of the Rings verses Cops with Will Smith in it, the immediate impression you'd get is its going to be a fantasy version of "Men In Black". It isn't ,not by huge margin. Infact by casting Will Smith in it is probably a large part of the problem why this doesn't work well at all, that and the constant "F" bombs.
I simply don't know just what this is supposed to be, but I can't see its going appeal strongly to any genre audience. There were some occasionally great visuals, mainly as a result of using the wand (that Elf cursed into the wall was brilliant), but the characters and plot were so stereotypical and predictable I thought it was written by somebody who'd dropped a tab of LSD after watching "Training Day" and binged watched "Once" . The result is not good.
And other than probably spending half the budget on Will Smiths salary I can't see how they spent $ 90 million!!!!. Who ever bankrolled this through Netflix needs their head read.
I've hugely admired some of the series coming through it, "Godless", "Mindhunters" ,"The Crown", "Unabomber", "Narcos" and alike but if they keep kicking out duds like this they are going to go bust!

I liked it. I might be biased. I created a comic book like this about 15 years ago, and while it wasn't about the LAPD, it was about government agents who hunt magic users in a "modern day" fantasy setting. This flick felt very much like a comic book to me.

This kind of genre mashup is not for everybody though. But I got a kick out of seeing an LAPD officer call in "magic user on scene" and the like. I thought it had a couple great shootouts, and I thought Joel Edgerton was fantastic, as usual. Will Smith was just Will Smith again.

I thought it fell a bit short creating a world, because it looked too much like modern day earth with some fantasy characters dropped into it. But when it showed a dragon flying over LA in one of the wide shots, I have to admit, I kind of fell in love with the movie.

It wasn't bad.

The gang banger orcs dressing like typical LA things bothered me at first... I was thinking "how dumb i s that that they don't wear 'traditional' orc clothing". But then I thought about it a bit and realized that (1) they've been mixed in with out society and culture for a while now and (2) you see every culture around the world with idiots adopting this same stupid style, so why should orcs be any different.

We enjoyed the movie, was looking forward to it from when the trailers aired. Not as good as we were hoping but nothing like the critics said. I wonder if the high cost for the budget was Smith’s agreement to do the second one locked in? Was looking to see if anyone had started making a wand from it.

I watched it last night, and while I found it to be a bit predictable I also really enjoyed it. I found the action to be pretty good, and Joel Edgerton was awesome. I always like Will Smith, so he didn't disappoint...though if you're not a fan of his he certainly won't win you over in this one.

I found the world itself to be the most intriguing...so much stuff there that could be explored. Even things like...

...why did the wand always glow blue, but when Smith's character touched it the wand lit up with red???

...I found to be things that made me want to know more.

I'm glad they've already announced a sequel, and I'll be sure to check it out when it comes out.

Just watched it. It feels like an R rated pilot for what could be a really good high production quality TV show.
Language and nudity was completely superfluous and took away from what could have been a really fun ride otherwise.

Hoping they tone it down for a wider audience, as the concept is lots of fun and there are plenty of possibilities.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back