RIP Chester Bennington

Very sad, difficult to understand how someone who seems to have everything you could ever want can just decide to end it like this.

Childhood abuse is something people can never let go unfortunately.

I do think we need to have a very open discussion in our society about why so many men are taking their own lives compared to women.

This is so sad to hear. He's one of my heroes growing up, and their music definitely guided me to where I am now. The human mind can only take so much negativity, and who knows what else Chester could have been going through. RIP Chester.

It's not a tragedy when entertainment people die of old age related maladies, like George Romero. This IS a tragedy. Cornell was a year younger than me, and I am too old to start feeling "old." But this young man had so much of his life left to enjoy, and create, and add to others'. He wasn't even middle-aged. A big gaping black hole of WTF left in his absence. :(

I was a fan of both. But yet, their decision to do this was selfish.
I only feel for the families who are left in the wake of this very, very bad choice.
Yes I recognize that this comment will garner a lot angry response's, but I've been there and have seen the destruction.
Did these folks have troubles? I'm sure that they had, they are human after all with a whole lot of pressure. I just think that reaching out some how, to try and get the help they need would be so much better than what the families of these two artists are going through now. Just a thought...

Abolutley horrible, heard one of his neighbors saying they are in shock and that he was the nicest, most normal, approachable person.

I only feel for the families who are left in the wake of this very, very bad choice.
Yes I recognize that this comment will garner a lot angry response's, but I've been there and have seen the destruction.
Did these folks have troubles? I'm sure that they had, they are human after all with a whole lot of pressure. I just think that reaching out some how, to try and get the help they need would be so much better than what the families of these two artists are going through now. Just a thought...

I agree, but on the flip side...suicidal thoughts are a very tough demon to beat. It will keep replaying events over and over in your mind, wearing you down. You loose sleep, have no sense of peace, and it does everything to convince you that those you love would be infinitely better without you around. It convinces you that your doing them a favor. That is the lie, the deception, and battle you are up against. It is so very important for people who even have a thought like that, to immediately talk to someone. Pastor, family, therapist, friend, suicide hotline...almost anyone. Once you make that step, you see things in a whole new light, and realize how selfish and wrong those thoughts are.

Far too often people let it win. Let it wear them down and make a tragic irreversible decision. Believe me, the last thing you think about is....how much you want to live. Sadly, once you give in, many don't make it to look back and see how wrong that decision was and how much life can truly be worth living.

I agree, but on the flip side...suicidal thoughts are a very tough demon to beat. It will keep replaying events over and over in your mind, wearing you down. You loose sleep, have no sense of peace, and it does everything to convince you that those you love would be infinitely better without you around. It convinces you that your doing them a favor. That is the lie, the deception, and battle you are up against. It is so very important for people who even have a thought like that, to immediately talk to someone. Pastor, family, therapist, friend, suicide hotline...almost anyone. Once you make that step, you see things in a whole new light, and realize how selfish and wrong those thoughts are.

Far too often people let it win. Let it wear them down and make a tragic irreversible decision. Believe me, the last thing you think about is....how much you want to live. Sadly, once you give in, many don't make it to look back and see how wrong that decision was and how much life can truly be worth living.

I used to think about the selfishness of it, but watching my aunt struggle for years, it is like a disease that eats at you

A a little kid, she was kidnapped and taken to a park

as an adult, she was married, with two kids, but that went sour and she felt she was left with nothing in life. Her kids were young adults at that point

She had been to numerous counselors, she tried unsuccessfully the first time drinking anti-freeze and taking pills, but she was found and brought back (although with lots of kidney/liver damage)

Help doesn't always work

She had family support, she was not a drug addict. She just could not get past her personal trauma/demons mentally

For close to two years she seemed better at times

In fact she seemed to be getting much better

Then the day after Christmas morning she was found with a plastic bag over her head and an empty bottle of sleeping pills

She just could never shake it and probably in a moment of blind despair she lost all rational thought

I used to think about the selfishness of it, but watching my aunt struggle for years, it is like a disease that eats at you

A a little kid, she was kidnapped and taken to a park

as an adult, she was married, with two kids, but that went sour and she felt she was left with nothing in life. Her kids were young adults at that point

She had been to numerous counselors, she tried unsuccessfully the first time drinking anti-freeze and taking pills, but she was found and brought back (although with lots of kidney/liver damage)

Help doesn't always work

She had family support, she was not a drug addict. She just could not get past her personal trauma/demons mentally

For close to two years she seemed better at times

In fact she seemed to be getting much better

Then the day after Christmas morning she was found with a plastic bag over her head and an empty bottle of sleeping pills

She just could never shake it and probably in a moment of blind despair she lost all rational thought

I'm so sorry to hear that.

Yeah, I certainly don't think people who resort to this want to hurt anyone else. On the contrary, I think they deal with it the best they can for as long as they're able to hold out. Some folks are just wired differently in ways the rest of us are spared.

My condolences about your aunt, Blakeh1.

RIP Chester Bennington.

If you really think this was just a "selfish choice" then you have a lot to learn about mental illness. I suspect Bennington had a lot more going on than a few "troubles". Your viewpoint is akin to blaming a rape victim for what they were wearing.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back