Star Wars Republic Gunship

computergeek

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey all,

I think I know the answer, but I had to ask anyway. Are there any larger scale models of the LA/AT Republic Gunship from Star Wars Episode II available? The only one I've really found is the Revell Snap Kit from a few years back, which looks fine, but runs a bit pricey now it isn't in active production (especially for the scale). I was curious if there were any fan kits that anyone may know of, or if Bandai/Revell had any plans to release a kit in the future.

Thanks for your help!

nope...and it's a shame

Darn. Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes that ship design. Anyone ever done a conversion of the old Hasbro toy? I have one from years ago, but someone played with it in the sand so the slide open doors don't really slide too well anymore... As far as I can tell, aside from the wing thickness, missile tubes, and carrying handle, its pretty close. I'm pretty sure this is the production model (probably not on screen, but used as a reference for the CG model)

kg_republic_gunship-019.jpg

kg_republic_gunship-068.jpg

More pics here-

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=8094

And here's the Hasbro one. They released the same basic model with multiple paint schemes over the years

TSCCWgunship2.jpg

All we've got commercially are the two Revell kits.

The small pocket version which is closer to the movie one and the larger 1/72 ish (1/74?) kit which is based on the cartoon version from the Clone Wars series (there are some notable differences)

I don't get the price some people are asking for that kit as I;ve seen it listed for absolutely ridiculous amounts

This is on my wish list and if Bandai would do a decent version it would for sure be a grail kit.

Although it will probably wind up as a 1/144 kit if they did it and come with silhouette flats for the clone troopers :facepalm

There was a CODE 3 die-cast version that was around that is supposed to be pretty decent, but good luck finding one. They are pretty pricey when available (there are a few on E-Bay starting at $399

I have never seen any garage kits. I have seen a few scratch builds.

Your best bet for a large version is modifying the Hasbro toy, although I am sure that is quite pricey now-adays but you might catch a break and find a beat up used version for a decent price

edit: looks like posted while I was writing out the reply and you've already got it then! I'd say go for modifying the Hasbro one.

Darn. Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes that ship design. Anyone ever done a conversion of the old Hasbro toy? I have one from years ago, but someone played with it in the sand so the slide open doors don't really slide too well anymore... As far as I can tell, aside from the wing thickness, missile tubes, and carrying handle, its pretty close. I'm pretty sure this is the production model (probably not on screen, but used as a reference for the CG model)

View attachment 745034

View attachment 745036

More pics here-

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=8094

And here's the Hasbro one. They released the same basic model with multiple paint schemes over the years

View attachment 745037
There's actually quite a lot of love for that ship here. It may very well be the most popular prequel vehicle. It has so much potential for modellers. Imagine the dioramas!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I would love a good 1/72 version, at the least. I still don't know why no one has done a really good version of this.

The Revell kit can be a good starting point if it was still in produciton and could be gotten at a decent price

This guy did an amazing job on the Revell Gunship and AT-TE kits.

He did the regular gunship as well as converting one to the dropship version for the Revell AT-TE
The LAAT/c with AT-TE
https://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/nikonikohoshizora/folder/1289073.html
and the LAAT/i
https://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/nikonikohoshizora/folder/1287346.html

and this is the Revell Republic Shuttle
https://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/nikonikohoshizora/folder/1327340.html

It's fairly close, but not quite the same scale. The AT-TE is a little smaller, closer to HO scale 1/87

It's not too noticeable

So... the LAAT/i and the LAAT/c look like they're same spacecraft (e.g. LAAT/i's are orbital drop ships in SW: Clone Wars) with different layouts below the main fuselage. But they're not. The LAAT/c has a bigger set of wings and the fuselage is longer. So... provided you're comfortable with box scales, or at least HO scale, you can produce a reasonable representation by converting the old Revell kit into AT-TE carrier. The cockpit will need some work, as that a single pilot sits under it on the carrier, and is scaled for the smaller LAAT/i. But if you're a purist (and that's not a bad thing, though I routinely have to chide myself for being a rivet counter) an elaborate diorama of clone troopers and armored ground support all hitting the ground together on Geonosis, substantial modifications to the LAAT/i kit would be required to be accurate. And a scratch built AT-TE, or at least something besides the old toy.

I never did a conversion on the Hasbro Toy, it was just too ridiculously big for my meager bookcase, but compared to the ridiculous efforts by ATM/Ertl and its Star Trek offerings, the Hasbro LAAT/i had the correct proportions, and was mostly detailed properly. Even had articulating trooper compartment doors. But there were no transparencies for the door windows, and no doors for the openings ahead of the trooper compartment, and even if you went to the trouble of special ordering the trooper manned gun bubbles from Hasbro, they were not particularly accurate. Fortunately, Clone Wars deleted those defensive turrets, so it would be much easier to convert the toy into a Gunship used later in the Republic Civil War.

Anyone who actually has the Hasbro Gunship handy, what is the approximate overall length? I have two of them, but they're buried in storage right now. I measured one years ago and figured out the approximate scale, but now I can't recall what I determined. I think I decided they were pretty close to 1/35, going by the official in-universe length of 17.69 meters, but I'm not sure. I'd like to find some clone trooper figures around the proper scale to use with it whenever I get around to working on mine, but now I've forgotten what the proper scale is. Does anyone produce clone troopers in 1/35 scale -- especially those that can be repositioned so they aren't all in the same pose? A gunship, in my opinion, looks pretty static without a group of troopers aboard.

SSB

Anyone who actually has the Hasbro Gunship handy, what is the approximate overall length? I have two of them, but they're buried in storage right now. I measured one years ago and figured out the approximate scale, but now I can't recall what I determined. I think I decided they were pretty close to 1/35, going by the official in-universe length of 17.69 meters, but I'm not sure. I'd like to find some clone trooper figures around the proper scale to use with it whenever I get around to working on mine, but now I've forgotten what the proper scale is. Does anyone produce clone troopers in 1/35 scale -- especially those that can be repositioned so they aren't all in the same pose? A gunship, in my opinion, looks pretty static without a group of troopers aboard.

SSB

There was a line of "Star Wars Command" figures by Hasbro that come out somewhere between the 1/32 and 1/35 range that should be perfect.

They were part of some kind of collectible figures game and came in sets similar to the old green army men

There was a Clone Troopers set

Used to be quite cheap, but since they have been discontinue you have to try finding them on E-Bay

Here are some that someone had painted up

http://www.keeperoftheforce.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1094&hilit=star+wars+command&start=20#p14632

There is also the Star Wars Unleashed Battle Packs from Hasrbo. They are closer to 1/32 . I do not have the Clone Set, but I do have the Federation battle droids and they look perfect with the AMT 1/32 Trade Federation tank
https://www.ebay.com/p/Star-Wars-Un...Hasbro-Set/1703917193?iid=302764661734&chn=ps

I think if Bandai decides to do more prequel ships then the LAAT is likely, but I'm not sure how much they're considering prequel kits at all. The Jango Fett Slave I was done since it's not that different from the Boba version.

SSB

I've got one at home I can send you measurements later. But I believe you are right, 1/35 is the correct scale.

There was a line of "Star Wars Command" figures by Hasbro that come out somewhere between the 1/32 and 1/35 range that should be perfect.

They were part of some kind of collectible figures game and came in sets similar to the old green army men

There was a Clone Troopers set
I remember seeing those and considered them, but the rather extreme poses they had made me envision a LOT of work to get any of them looking any different, and I would like a fairly substantial number of them, matching the sort of complement seen in AotC. However, one thing I had not considered until now was that at that scale, one could probably also get some of the stormtroopers from the same line of toys and use their arms and/or legs with the clone trooper figures and get different poses. Really, the most distinctive difference between clone troopers and stormtroopers is the helmet.

I recall reading of a technique of making RTV molds (I think it was the molds) that shrink by a fairly predictable percentage. It occurred to me that, using that technique, disassembled 3.75-inch clone trooper (or stormtrooper) action figures could theoretically be used as a master to make smaller resin figures that would offer nice posing options. Unfortunately, doing something like that is far beyond any experience I have -- I have never even tried to make molds or cast anything.

SSB

Hasbro Gunship:

Overall length (fuselage only, doors closed, no lasers) 19.5 inches

Overall height (fuselage only, not including the door switch) 8 inches

Fuselage width 5.33 inches

Leading edge of the wing 11.75 inches

Missile launcher 12.45 inches

I've got about 7 of the hasbro ones and 3 of the action fleet sized ones if you need measurements. Love this ship. Would make a studio scale (1/24) version if I thought there was a market.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back