Need advice on painting my Revell Master Series Star destroyer

lordsidi

Hello, I have'nt done models in many years now and even then I was a simple glue it and bottle paint it kind of guy. I recently bought this star destroyer model because I've always been a big fan of the ship. I've read some of your build instructions and I am always impressed with what you all are able to do. My question is I don't want to spend money on an air brush paint system for only one build, so can you let me know the best spray can colors and methods of application for this big guy model. I want to make it look the best I can so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have one of these on my bench now and I have to say an airbrush is making things a lot easier. That being said, I would recommend you use Tamiya White Fine Primer (spray can). I've seen both versions of the Star Destroyer in person and they are pretty much white. There are a lot of undercuts and overhangs that are easier to deal with with an airbrush. My advice is that you should actually paint many of the detail pieces (the sidewalls, the waistband, the bridge, the engines, etc) FIRST. The big flat surfaces can wait till later. Yes, you'll have to scrape paint to prep the mating surfaces for gluing, but it will be the only way you'll be able to get paint into those hard to reach areas. My other tip is to prime it in black first, then spray white. You can get a nice panelling effect that way. But it can only really be done using an airbrush........

good luck

Gene

It is easier with an airbrush because you can have better control over the thinness of your layers, but it can be done if you take your time with the spray cans, especially if you are not going to be using an airbrush for other things

and you are not heavy handed with you layers.

If you prime black and then "mist" coat with a white color.

Just make sure to not try and cover everything with the white.

It will also help directionally spraying it from one angle in very light passes. It may take a while to build up. Hold the can back a little farther when doing so

Also you can try masking off certain panels with tape in between coats so they stay darker

possibly start off with something Tamiya AS-16, possibly mask off some panels, then mask off some more and do a layer of Tamiya AS-20, then maybe remove all the masking and add a "mist" layer of something more straight white as a final coat

Practice on some scrap styrene sheet to see if the colors are too drastic and to get the right feel for how far away you need to hold the can etc...

I fact you might consider "practicing" on the smaller Revell sound and play easy kit (it is around 1/4000). You can find them fairly cheap on line (24.99 with free shipping on Amazon right now)

That way you get a practice run that won't be any big loss if you mess it up. Just re-prime it black and try it again

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back