Phaser, Rifle, Communicator and Tricorder from Star Trek Discovery revealed in detail

Re: Phaser, Phaser Rifle and Communicator from Star Trek Discovery revealed in detail

I'm liking what we see so far of the phaser and communicator. Not sure about the rifle (phaser rifles were always a bit nonsensical to me... even the tiny Phaser One hand phaser unit, can do everything its big brothers can do). I love the heavy TOS influence on these props. The Communicator might have too much gold chrome on it, but oh well. Phaser looks really bad ass though. And it seems to have a real trigger and safety locks, which were the two deficiencies in the original TOS design. The triple lens emitter is a borrow from the Laser Pistols seen in the original pilot episodes of Star Trek... not sure how that will work but already I miss the clear plexi emitter cone that the TOS phaser has.

Re: Phaser, Phaser Rifle and Communicator from Star Trek Discovery revealed in detail

Yeah, the emitter is a bit of a loss, and I really hope it shoots beams, not star wars style blaster rounds that ping.

They lost me on the emitter other than that I like what I see.

As far as the Phaser rifle, meh, no thanks never cared for it

Re: Phaser, Rifle, Communicator and Tricorder from Star Trek Discovery revealed in de

UPDATED: the latest video just shows two quick glimpses of what is probably the tricorder and hand scanner.

20245477_10155728568115466_3300501816626466130_n.jpg

20245789_10155728568120466_7587946579234331999_n.jpg

Re: Phaser, Rifle, Communicator and Tricorder from Star Trek Discovery revealed in de

The tricorder clearly has a "The search for spock" feel to it, which is great I always thought that it was a good update of the classic tricorder.

In a way these things look overly detailed. I guess that's a result of the HD era in which a simple Kydex shell, aluminum plate and slot car wheels with some Swarovski jewels isn't enough to look "techie."

The big disappointment is the damn Starfleet delta shields on the tops of the pistol and rifle... oh well.

Photos from Cole Rahn via Facebook

20264700_499278340415161_8971332480041606171_n.jpg

20140167_499278517081810_1210661901476546610_n.jpg

Looks good from below! Pic courtesy Jonathan Frakes on Twitter.

DFM3vPjVwAAcNp7.jpg:large

They're ok, I'm not wowed by them.
I have to give them credit for paying their dues to continuity and making them visually align with the early TOS films -despite the series being set just prior to the Kirk years. Oh well, they weren't going to win them all.

I'll be interested to see and hear the props in action.

I think I truly appreciate and love these props.. this just keeps getting better!

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

I think they look good. It's like the original props if they had more money. I'm shocked that they didn't feel the need to make them more different to put their mark on it.

The big disappointment is the damn Starfleet delta shields on the tops of the pistol and rifle... oh well.
As I just slightly drunk-posted on FB (damn Romulan ale):

Good thinking, Star Fleet. Red Shirt Reggie drops it on some planet, and some Argellian picks it up, "Gee I wonder who forgot their gun thing, OH, it's Star Fleet, they put their uniform shield on it so we know, great, someone call Nagura and tell him one of his phasers is missing…."

I like the controls on the top of the Tricorder. Always wondered how Spock or whoever was operating a tricorder that was aimed away from them. :p

\\ Posted from an iPad Mini kybd — intelligibility is circumstantial //

Last edited:

I do like that phaser rather a lot, I do agree they look a little over designed, simplicity can look just as high tech. Also the logo on everything is a bit tacky, like when galoob put the TNG logo on their cricket phaser. Love that tricorder though! A more streamlined version of the III tric, very nice!

I hate the whole trend of putting the logo on everything, either a big one like on the phaser or a collection of tiny ones to form a pattern like the panels on the uniforms.

I still don't know why Roddenberry replaced the Starfleet logo with the Enterprise assignment patch on Next Generation. I can't imagine it was to dumb things down for the average viewer, not with the way they had to deal with what I called the "radiation of the week".

Sent from my Hewlett Packard 48G using Tapatalk

Looks like the delta will be on their drawers too! :rolleyes

HA Too funny if they did...
But if you were to look at ST:TMP closely you'd see the Star Fleet Delta on almost every thing too.... I was surprised recently to see that the PADDs and the Tricorder had them.
The security dudes had them on their helmets.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back