Rogue One: Nesta Term (Jedha citizen) mask WIP

Howlrunner

Sr Member
When I saw the sizzle reel at Celebration Europe, this split-second image stuck in my head as a very cool design:

attachment.png

Sadly, this character (named Nesta Term in the Rogue One Visual Guide) didn't get much screen time, or indeed do very much of anything, but since when did just being a background character stop us when it comes to Star Wars?!

When it was identified that this mask is based on a modified airsoft mask, I just had to pick one up to have a go.

Unaltered airsoft mask with modifications pencilled in:

lynapog.jpg

XuBDEBV.jpg

Rogue One behind the scenes video still for cutout reference:

attachment.png

Dremel used to cut out the sections (took AGES - this fibreglass is THICK!):

q7YudfH.jpg

bJPlagF.jpg

Then created cereal cardboard (great stuff!) templates for the areas that needed filled back it, transferred those to sheet styrene, cut them out and hot glued them in place:

blEQajJ.jpg

EeMkc2G.jpg

lVoeHfY.jpg

Next up will be filling the uneven gaps between the styrene and the fibreglass (as seen in the behind the scenes shot) and filling in the partial circles on the front cheeks....

Milliput sanded:

AYDVbnv.jpg

And filler primer sprayed:

b3G59rU.jpg

Got to admit, I'm really not too sure on how to paint this one to match the references.... Brown/copper sprayed over the yellow, then sanded down to reveal the yellow underneath?

Sprayed a more accurate shade of yellow (not just filler primer), then sprayed brown on top of that once dry. Once the brown is dry it'll be time to start CAREFUL sanding to expose the yellow underneath...

TUqWEIe.jpg

rd0t6Te.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's coming along great! Interested to see how the two layer paint weathering goes, as I've got one or two projects in the works where I'm thinking to try that myself...

Dan

It's coming along great! Interested to see how the two layer paint weathering goes, as I've got one or two projects in the works where I'm thinking to try that myself...

Dan

Well, having now done it, I guess it depends on the look you want to achieve....

For this particular mask (trying to replicate a particular weathering pattern) sanding was not the best - I did the 5 main yellow sections by sanding down the brown layer before I realised "Hey, wouldn't this be a LOT easier using paint stripped instead?...). So for the last yellow section (the big "rainbow" at the very top) I used a disposable cloth dipped in white spirit and squeezed out to rub down the brown. MUCH faster, MUCH less effort and way easier to control! On the sanded down patches I went through the brown AND yellow under layer down to the yellow filler primer in one or two spots and had to do some slight touch up painting - didn't have that problem with the white spirit section. Only downside to the white spirits rub down is it leaves the entire surface with a gloss finish (from the spray paint), whereas sanding gives you a more accurate-for-weathering matt finish.

Anyway, apart from the material hood which I plan to do at some point, the mask itself is now finished! :D

zn5Y4De.jpg

Looks great! Thanks for the report on the two different methods - I think both 'versions' look very good and I'm sure it'll end up that both techniques will find good application in appropriate places.

Nicely done - much cool!

Dan

Hey Howlrunner...

Nice work on the mask! I'm hoping to build the entire costume. Do you have any references showing the lower half and rear of the robes and footwear? Going frame by frame, I found the Isopters in roughly a dozen spots in the Jedha part of the movie, and one shot of the robes with no mask in the Ring of Kafrene.

Any help would be appreciated!

Hey Howlrunner...

Nice work on the mask! I'm hoping to build the entire costume. Do you have any references showing the lower half and rear of the robes and footwear? Going frame by frame, I found the Isopters in roughly a dozen spots in the Jedha part of the movie, and one shot of the robes with no mask in the Ring of Kafrene.

Any help would be appreciated!

Only shot I have is this:

h54e4rx.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back