Hiding Lace on a Fake Beard / Fitting a Fake Beard Over a Real Beard

Jesuit24

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi, with Logan now on DVD, I finally got round to seeing it and, of course, now I want to make a costume. I'm a bearded person, but I'm folically challenged in the sideburns department. I can grow a goatee fine, but no matter how long I leave the sides, they don't fill in. Since the beard is kinda integral to the costume, I'm going to buy a realistic theatrical grade fake beard. Pictures of the piece on a mannequin head show the lace as pretty visible:

BEARD-B3-2.jpg

How would I go about covering it up? I emailed the store selling it and they said when using their skin tone beard adhesive, you can't see the lace at all, but I have a feeling it's not as easy as that. I read somewhere that makeup artists cover the lace by adding individual strands of hair over the top of the lace to hide it, in which case I'd have to order the longer beard and trim it to give me more hair in the same colour. Is there any other way I could conceal it, or do you think beard adhesive is enough to conceal the lace somehow?

Also, another question. I don't really want to shave off my beard just to put another one on top of it. I was thinking of cutting the wig and using the sideburn pieces in tandem with my own hair as the goatee, but that would probably give me problems when trying to dye my goatee the same colour as the hair piece. Is it possible to maybe put the whole fake beard on top of my own?

I have no idea, but I want to wish you the best of luck!

I had a beard for a few years, went as Marko Ramius once, ended up shaving the beard for Clark Kent and have kept it off ever since.

I saw some great 'old man' Logans at the last con I went to, they're a blast to see :D

-MJ

Hand laying (loose) hair onto the lace is a great way to hide lace also cutting the lace back as close to the first row of knots helps as well-try to cut the lace in an irregular line - I'd even recommend using pinking shears. Your eye always wants to find and follow a straight line.
hope this helps

Cool, looks like I'll be buying the longer beard and cutting it for some extra strands. I've heard of people using something called Gafquat to flatten and harden hair on the head for bald caps. Hopefully I can put spirit gum over the top of that without any lumps or issues with it taking my real beard with it when I peel it off. I was planning on using Mastix spirit gum but wasn't sure whether to go with Mastix P, since the hold is a lot stronger, but I don't know if that will make it more troublesome to get it off my real beard.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back