Raiders hat.

propmainiac

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi all. Interested in a Indiana Jones fedora. What's a reasonably priced hat that won't break the bank but still looks accurate? With so many out there not sure what to get. Have a leather jacket that I may use with the hat just for display. Thanks

Prices prices prices... Too many stinking prices... I have a Federation IV Akubra that didn't break the bank for me but I've had it for some time now so prices probably aren't what they used to be. I think I remember paying $170 USD for it straight from Akubra back in the day.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Come on, man. You've been here long enough to know that there are at least a dozen different threads on this very subject easily found via the search tool.

I always have a hard time answering the question of, "what's good but doesn't break the bank?" Both of these area subjective so what breaks the bank for one person might be perfectly reasonable for another.

If you're looking for a good Indy hat, I'd go to Penman Hats. He offers various versions of the fedora at different price points. And he's a stand-up guy.

Sean

I have to second Penman hats. I have had several but have a fondness for his Last Crusade "Venice" fedora. Any style Indy fedora that you want is available in several variations of felt and color which will slide the price point up or down. All are top notch quality and worth every penny.

All very nice hats... Still a little out of my price range. Saving money for a cross country motorcycle trip maybe when I get back I will revisit this. Thanks for the info and advice.

I too have a Penman and I love it.

I've often found that trying to save a few pennies usually leaves me unhappy at the end of the day. Much, much better to save up longer and get the one I really wish I could afford. It takes a while but I rarely regret those purchases.

Cheers!

Ted.

Honestly, any brown fedora is gonna look correct to any member of the general public.

Hit the thrift shops / Goodwill / vintage clothing stores, etc.

I 'made' an Indy fedora by re-shaping an old campaign hat (Smokey the Bear style hat) back before I graduated from high school. Almost certainly wrong in all proportions and details, but when used as part of a full Indy costume, no one will note the difference.

-MJ

I picked up the Todd's Costume "Downtowner", second hand for $50.00. It is a great looking hat and great quality.
http://www.toddscostumes.com/costumes/indiana-jones-collection/indiana-jones-hat-coyles-downtowner/

Keep an eye out on ebay and in the junkyard as people nd up re-selling these cheaper than retail.
I own the Downtowner and love it. I ordered a bit larger size because it was one of my first hats at the time and I didn't know what I was doing, so it looks a bit big on me, but it's an otherwise very well made hat. The felt is nice and thick, making it able to take just about anything. I've had a quarter inch of snow on the brim and have even sat on the crown and it keeps its shape.

Other ones include the Penman, as mentioned numerously above. I've never seen a lot of FedoraLoungers wear them, but they are supposed to be very good.

I do know that the Akubra Federation IV is very popular with Loungers, and in fact may be the most popular Raiders hat among them. It's an Akubra, so it's durable and very stylish. Just beware of shrinkage. I'd buy 1 size up to combat that. Also, it comes as an open crown, so you'd need a tea kettle. Is pretty fairly priced, too. Most places you can buy it for around $150.

Another one I know, albeit a bit pricey, is by Garrison Hatters: http://garrisonhatters.com/Raiders.html I don't own one myself, but I do know others who own it and it's a very nicely made hat. The felt is very soft and pliable, and comes already pre-shaped like the Downtowner does. As a plus, they also have an already weathered "Cairo" version if you're into that.

Last edited:
I have a Garrison hatters Temple of Doom fedora and love it. I WILL get a "streets of Cairo" as my next Indy prop.

Yea they're in the > $200 price range, but well worth it IMO.

I love my adventurebilt. It was pricey, but the made-to-order options were great. I've noticed minor inaccuracies that could be worked out with a steamer.

IMO it's better to shell out for a $300 rabbit hat that will last than a cheapo wool that will crap out if you get caught in the rain with it.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back