Bandai 1:72 Rogue One Partisan X-Wing (AKA the black and white x-wing) DONE!

newmagrathea

Sr Member
I started this a little while a go, and just now decided to pick it back up. I ran out of primer and paint, so I had to put in an order for the primer from Japan and it killed my momentum. I'm back at it now. I also ordered the Vallejo Chipping Medium to try out, it's interesting stuff.

Here is my progress so far, I've assembled the wings and painted them, done some weather to them because it will be hard to get at some spots once it's fully assembled.

IMG_4999.JPGIMG_5001.JPGIMG_5002.JPGIMG_5003.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Bandai 1:72 Rogue One Partisan X-Wing (AKA the black and white x-wing)

The fuselage is built, cockpit and pilot painted. Now the tedious task of masking. Looks pretty weird with painted wings and an unpainted body.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks! There is a definite lack of good reference photos for this paint scheme. About half of my masking was based off a hot wheels toy.

Thanks! There is a definite lack of good reference photos for this paint scheme. About half of my masking was based off a hot wheels toy.

True. Although that means you get to take some artistic liberties!!

I've thought about doing my next Studio Scale x-wing in that paint scheme.

Yes I have done that. I try to think about the logical way it should be painted. Usually I can come up with more than one way that I think it should go. I hope I'm not far off. It does make you think about if you were to come up with a paint scheme from scratch; how would you paint it?

Vallejo Chipping fluid is great stuff....I used it for the first time on my Mech Warrior and a little on my Hasbro X-wing and scuffed with a toothbrush since they were larger scales. Like everything, practice makes perfect. The definition of an expert is a person who has made every conceivable mistake in a narrow field.

Nice color scheme....

More updates. I did some blast and burn marks with the airbrush. I've still got to do the oil and pastel weathering, and I haven't even started on the Astromech yet. I was just having some fun because it's starting to look like something finally. I'll probably display it on it's landing gear when I'm 100% done with it.

IMG_5148.JPGIMG_5147.JPGIMG_5146.JPGIMG_5145.JPG

I think that I've decided to do the astromech in this photo which is a R5-A2. And I'm also going to do a regular R2-D2 as well.

r1.jpg

I'm calling it done. The Astromech turned out more yellow than I wanted, but I'm not going to bother with doing a proper under coat to get the exact right color. I'll change his name to something else. How about R1-V3? Maybe I'll think about that more. What do you think?

IMG_5156.JPGIMG_5155.JPGIMG_5154.JPGIMG_5151.JPGIMG_5152.JPG

As I like to do with my threads, here is the post-mortem of the project.

Thinner for acrylics: Mr Hobby Leveling Thinner
Thinner for Enamels: Mineral Spirits and/Odorless Turpenoid
Thinner for Oils: Odorless turpenoid

Primer: Mr. Surfacer 1000 grey

Acrylic Paints:
Tamiya
Flat White
Flat Black
Smoke
Dark Grey
Medium Grey
Flat Flesh

Valejo
Pale Yellow

Enamels:
Testors
Fl. Aluminum

Model Master
Dark Blue
Brass

Oils
502 Abteilung Ocher
502 Abteilung Engine Grease
Gamblin Titanium Buff
Williamsburg Graphite grey

Other
Valejo Chipping Medium
Pledge Floor Care (aka Future)

Reference Photos
back.jpgright.jpgpartisanScreenshot.pngnose.pngengineFront.jpgbaze-malbus.jpgtoy3.jpgtoy2.jpgtoy1.jpgtoy4.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back