Stop referencing the movie title in the movie!

This would apply to every super hero movie ever. And Titanic. Several war movies, etc. Sometimes it's unavoidable.

Fight Club....Terminator,....Moonraker.....Chinatown,...Jurassic Park,...Inception.....As good as it gets...Gran Torino....Dude, Where's my Car?....Independence Day

But yes,...some titles are obviously squeezed in,....Back to the Future......The Living Daylights....True Grit

J

Two I can think of off the top of my head where they don't is The Lost World: Jurassic Park, where the closest that comes to it is when John Hammond tells Ian Malcolm that is will only be a matter of time before "this lost world is found and pillaged."

The Dark Knight is another, the closest being said by Commissioner Gordon in his ending monologue.

I absolutely hate when they say the name of the movie in the movie. For example in the new Planet of the Apes movie, Woody Harrelson says something like "If we don't win, this will become a planet of apes!" :facepalm Stop it already!
I don't like it either. It's the writer breaking the fourth wall.

But in a satire or comedy I don't mind so much - e.g. Snakes on a Plane.

Two I can think of off the top of my head where they don't is The Lost World: Jurassic Park, where the closest that comes to it is when John Hammond tells Ian Malcolm that is will only be a matter of time before "this lost world is found and pillaged."

The Dark Knight is another, the closest being said by Commissioner Gordon in his ending monologue.
The last words of the movie are Dark Knight. Then it says "The Dark Knight:.

Unless its the name of the titular character, then yeah, its pretty annoying. Family guy did a riff on that and it was pretty funny.

More examples:
"I guess we'll have to register you as a ... Lethal Weapon."
"It's ust a Midnight Run for Chrissake!"
"We're going to survive. Today we celebrate our Independence Day."

(That last famous quote irritates me on so many levels. 1. It references the title. 2. Promoting "independence" is irrelevant. The aliens weren't trying to subjugate the human race; they were trying to exterminate us. 3. Why are we "celebrating"? Celebration happens after you win. You don't "celebrate" going to battle.)

I'm fine with the title in the movie for the most part. It's only irritating to me when they really contrive a way to get the line in and it comes off clunky.

Another one that comes to mind is Clear and Present Danger where the president says something about the drug cartels are a clear and present danger.

Bond films are notorious. The Living Daylights, Tomorrow Never Dies, You Only Live Twice ...

Now, the title sometimes references a person, place, or thing in the movie — Goldfinger, Skyfall, Thunderball — but having a character saying a phrase or idiom that you use in the title, just sounds like CLUNK.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back