Stop referencing the movie title in the movie!

It doesn't really bother me, in fact sometimes I think it is even necessary. I mean, shouldn't the title reflect something that pertains to the movie? Obviously, it shouldn't be done all the time though.

But, it's kind of like music and song titles. I really hate when the name of the song is NOT used in the song. To this day there is Led Zeppelin music that I have no clue what the actual name of the song is because the title has absolutely nothing to do with the song content.

"That's now. In an hour he could have total recall!"

"These drug cartels represent a clear and present danger to the national security of the United States."

"She says the thirteenth warrior must be no North man."

"How happy is the blameless vestal's lot? The world forgetting by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind, each prayer accepted and each wish resigned."

"Someday we might look back on this and decide that saving Private Ryan was the one decent thing we were able to pull out of this whole godawful, s#&%%y mess."

No points for guessing which movies they're from.

Goes double if the line is used in the trailer.

Regarding the skeptics: fine, the ones where it's the character's name, or the name of a ship or an organization, etc, get a pass. I would have thought that would go without saying.

It's the titles that are a phrase where it's annoying.

Like, how lame would it have been if Jerry Maguire had instead been named You Had Me at Hello, or Show Me the Money?

Titular characters are definitely an exception. I really appreciate how most superhero films today don't mention the title in the movie. Unless the sub-titles are extremely forced. Imagine if....

"Cap, stop this right now. Just surrender or you might start.... *zoom in on RDJ's lips* a civil war."

"Lois this is my world. This is my choice. This is... *zoom in on Henry Cavill's lips* the dawn of justice."

"Avengers, we need to stop Ultron. His plan must never ever come through or else we'll be stuck in... *zoom in on Cap's lips* the age of Ultron."

"So that's it huh? We're some kind of... 'Suicide Squad'? oh wait....

Titular characters are definitely an exception. I really appreciate how most superhero films today don't mention the title in the movie. Unless the sub-titles are extremely forced. Imagine if....

"Cap, stop this right now. Just surrender or you might start.... *zoom in on RDJ's lips* a civil war."

"Lois this is my world. This is my choice. This is... *zoom in on Henry Cavill's lips* the dawn of justice."

"Avengers, we need to stop Ultron. His plan must never ever come through or else we'll be stuck in... *zoom in on Cap's lips* the age of Ultron."

"So that's it huh? We're some kind of... 'Suicide Squad'? oh wait....

U71Ms.gif

The "Ghost in the Shell" movie did this and it was so painful to watch. They used the terms "ghost" and "shell" for consciousness/body respectively but the delivery never felt natural and the terms themselves are so far outside of anything real people would say

Ive been thinking about this thread lately with every movie I watch. I just watched Baby Driver and I was waiting the entire time as they tip toed around it then boom the very last song of the movie's lyrics!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back