Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Roboted

Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon Group Build.
136_55_o_1bhf82llu1vrgk8c17p29pe7567_2048x2048.jpgmillenniumfalcon_72_1_00_2048x2048.jpgmillenniumfalcon_72_1_01_2048x2048.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xng3thTHiRg

OPEN TO EVERYONE!!!!!!!!

Hey everyone, This build thread is for everyone who is building the new falcon.its a place to share your work as you build,modify and finish your model.

Please post as soon as you get your new falcon, whenever that may be.

A fair amount of us won't be in the first run of release but please share anyway to get us all super hyped for our kits.

its going to awesome to see where this goes!!!!

Happy building :D!!!!!!

136_55_o_1bhf82llu1vrgk8c17p29pe7567_2048x2048.jpg

millenniumfalcon_72_1_00_2048x2048.jpg

millenniumfalcon_72_1_01_2048x2048.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon A NEW GROUP BUILD! OPEN TO EVERYONE!

A couple of questions for everyone--

Have you figured out what your goal is going to be with your 1/72 falcon?

Screen accurate, idealized, your own weathering pattern, no weathering, etc??

In flight display, landed display?

Custom lighting, stock lighting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screen accurate for the first film is, what?

- Cockpit interior replaced with the strange 5 footer design.
- Removal of the TFA engine grid and replacement with a curved piece of white acrylic plastic.
- Removal of the two gunbay interiors.
- Ramp and landing gear in up position.
- No interior lighting - just the engine panel.
- Drilling holes in the curved sidewalls at the back, where the temporary carrying handles went.

Is there anything else? Snapping off pieces and painting primer grey patches to replicate how the ship looks today? :)

Last edited:
Can we really say what the engine section looked like when the engines are not on in ANH? A big strip of shiny plastic doesn't seem right. I always thought the brightness of the engines concealed any detail that would be visible when the engines are not on.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

I guess I stand corrected with "screen accuracy". It seems I just mean screen accurate as far as paint is concerned.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Can we really say what the engine section looked like when the engines are not on in ANH? A big strip of shiny plastic doesn't seem right. I always thought the brightness of the engines concealed any detail that would be visible when the engines are not on.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
I'll probably be building mine OOB. I believe Bandai will have the grid with lighting.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Im wondering if the Falcon will have different options for lighting.
For example, if someone doesnt want the open walkway on the falcon can they reroute the wiring to another area?

I don't think rerouting the lighting will be difficult to do, in the small bandai kits it was more a problem of space, but in a 1/72 falcon will be enough room for it :).

My personal adjustment will be to get the blue enginelight, movie-accurate or not, all the other movies the falcon shows a blue blast. For me the bright white was the effect of a very hard punching and acceleration of the engine (like going to the red area of a car-engines rpm's)... and a white stripe instead of engine-details is out of discussion for me - I don't want to build an accurate prop-model, i want to build an accurate falcon, if you know, what i mean.

Also i will try to rebuild "real windows", because it doesn't look like Bandai will provide tem with this kit.

Best add from Bandai for me would be the addition the extra landing-gear and -bays from TESB (and maybe some necessary greeblies) to have the possibility to "pimp" the falcon to the Episode V-5-foot-version (which is in the movie, but not as often as the 32"-Falcon)... but the chances are higher, that that will be a possible new kit...

Last edited:
I don't think rerouting the lighting will be difficult to do, in the small bandai kits it was more a problem of space, but in a 1/72 falcon will be enough room for it :).

My personal adjustment will be to get the blue enginelight, movie-accurate or not, all the other movies the falcon shows a blue blast. For me the bright white was the effect of a very hard punching and acceleration of the engine (like going to the red area of a car-engines rpm's)... and a white stripe instead of engine-details is out of discussion for me - I don't want to build an accurate prop-model, i want to build an accurate falcon, if you know, what i mean.

Also i will try to rebuild "real windows", because it doesn't look like Bandai will provide tem with this kit.

Best add from Bandai for me would be the addition the extra landing-gear and -bays from TESB (and maybe some necessary greeblies) to have the possibility to "pimp" the falcon to the Episode V-5-foot-version (which is in the movie, but not as often as the 32"-Falcon)... but the chances are higher, that that will be a possible new kit...

I agree,....I'm more into what the Falcon is supposed to be rather than the model

You mention the blue glow.....we are now used to seeing a poorer version of the Falcon's engines than what was originally seen in the pre-SE versions of the films

Falcon Glow 1.jpg

Falcon Glow 2.jpg

Here's some more lovely images from the GOUT DVD

Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 22.40.18.pngScreen Shot 2017-07-16 at 22.39.58.pngScreen Shot 2017-07-16 at 22.37.53.png

J

Im going to just make the rendition that exists in my mind. Im torn on whether or not to add the ESB landing gear and dish,i guess i will just have too wait and decide.maybe i will build the boxes anyway and test on the model.

I also thought maybe adding blue and white leds and wiring it to an arduino so i can have any range of blue or white i want for the engine,plus i can run multiple sequences for the cockpit lights and have all the external lights in switch modes.

The stand that comes with the falcon looks a tad bulky IMO, im going to build a decent display base with maybe a mirror and even a perspex clear case,just to stop any dust from getting on the model.Also the case will serve as a mounting point for the switches to control the lighting.

Im not going to use the landing gear either as i want it in flight.

The colour scheme will be decided from the film not from model reference pictures as they always look too bright for the base colour, they will be used to get all the weathering correct.

First thing I'll be doing is modifying the hull to allow for the addition of the missing landing gear. I know everyone has their own preferences to the gear but I'm going a "general look". By that I mean how the Falcon looks in most of the movies but with a few improvements.

I'll be adding canopy and turret window glass from 0.25mm styrene. The glass that comes with most kits is too thick and makes the interiors look distorted.

I'll be adding my own lighting. I may or may not use Arduino but I'll allow options for the red hazard lights, landing lights, cockpit lights and engine lights to be turned on individually or all at once.

I'll be doing realistic streaking and weathering. This is another personal preference but I want the streaks to look like streaks... not paint airbrushed over a post-it note.

I'll be using magnets to allow for the gear to be up for in flight positions or down for a custom dio (maybe the Bespin landing pad or docking bay 94)

Most of all... I just want it to look Falcony :)

First thing I'll be doing is modifying the hull to allow for the addition of the missing landing gear. I know everyone has their own preferences to the gear but I'm going a "general look". By that I mean how the Falcon looks in most of the movies but with a few improvements.

I'll be adding canopy and turret window glass from 0.25mm styrene. The glass that comes with most kits is too thick and makes the interiors look distorted.

I'll be adding my own lighting. I may or may not use Arduino but I'll allow options for the red hazard lights, landing lights, cockpit lights and engine lights to be turned on individually or all at once.

I'll be doing realistic streaking and weathering. This is another personal preference but I want the streaks to look like streaks... not paint airbrushed over a post-it note.

I'll be using magnets to allow for the gear to be up for in flight positions or down for a custom dio (maybe the Bespin landing pad or docking bay 94)

Most of all... I just want it to look Falcony :)
I'd bet $ Bandai eventually comes out with the ESB version with the extra landing gear bays. If they do, I'll buy another kit :) probably smart marketing on their part.

To each his own of course and I know some modelers enjoy the scratch building and conversion.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I would love to go for "real world" falcon but I'm not skilled enough. I will probably go for studio scale replica. That's more my speed.

I would love to go for "real world" falcon but I'm not skilled enough. I will probably go for studio scale replica. That's more my speed.

Yeah, what do you mean by real world?

Do you know something we dont know?
Spill it!!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back