Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Those 3D models are super helpful! Still trying to figure out how the floor pan was used, right-side up or upside down.

LS_Morgan_Plus8_FloorPan.169-768x576.jpg

I wonder how hard it would be to make swappable cockpit interiors for the Bandai. I really like the idea of having a studio model cockpit -- I really want a model that fulfills the promise of the cover art on the original MPC model! -- but at the same time I don't want to just set aside Bandai's set-accurate cockpit, especially if there's a reasonably good photo etch piece. Since the kit is snap together, the cockpit cone should be removable. If Bandai's cockpit can be constructed as a single unit that can slide in and out (that's what she said) then it would be the best of both worlds.

Although im not doing the prop accurate cockpit, I really enjoy seeing where this thread is going already, by the time people begin to get the kit, plenty of incredibly helpful info will be consolidated within this thread.

A discussion about possible paints for the main hull colours would be good,like brands and steps for laying the paint down would be good.

Im sure some of that info is about,but it would be great to start a fresh discussion about it here. Also the chipping and key areas of weathering plus any of the less obvious areas that need attention.

I think eventually the first post will be updated with links to the helpful info if the thread gets really big over time. You guys know so much about the 5 foot falcon and its great to broaden my own knowledge much further than i thought it would ever be.Most appreciated!

Its a great time to be into starwars models :)

Sweet work, nkg! Really terrific reference photos. I especially like the "some folks are oddly interested" line. :lol Dude, you just described 100% of us! :thumbsup

Those are Bandai 1/15 Stug IV

Thanks for the suggestion! I looked through a build video and couldn't see any identical parts, but I was looking out for the three-armed front bit. Looks like it might have been made from a top tread wheel from a Bandai StuG, with the front bit a four-armed circular piece, with one arm cut off. Maybe that's it.

Also, blargh. I can't find any kit scans anywhere. With the Photobucket policy change, it's like a million scans suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

One of our old members, Guy Cowan is now taking orders for Floquil coloured paint over on FB
Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 14.06.09.png

Archive-X Paint

The Rogue Studio Falcon grey is on it's way, but he does stock the paler Reefer White....(better suited for smaller models)

Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 14.08.06.pngScreen Shot 2017-07-27 at 14.07.46.pngScreen Shot 2017-07-27 at 14.07.16.png

J

Some Nice Photos from TNGHOBBY.COM

Posted here for quick viewing :)

Thanks edge10 for sharing the links to the info!

P1060865-1024x588.jpgBG207.jpgBG208.jpgBG209.jpgBG221.jpgP1060861-1024x719.jpgP1060862-1024x682.jpgP1060863-1024x741.jpgP1060864-1024x755.jpgBG203.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Some more from the same show :)

BG206.jpgBG205.jpgBG204.jpgBG202.jpg

Its so cool to have a falcon in the same scale as all the other great kits, Im definatly going to be displaying mine along with the Y-Wing,X-Wing,A-Wing and tie fighters. Awesome stuff.

ANTICIPATION LEVEL IS OVER 9000!

BG203.jpg

BG207.jpg

BG208.jpg

BG209.jpg

BG221.jpg

P1060861-1024x719.jpg

P1060862-1024x682.jpg

P1060863-1024x741.jpg

P1060864-1024x755.jpg

P1060865-1024x588.jpg

BG202.jpg

BG204.jpg

BG205.jpg

BG206.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was pondering over it today,What exactly are the main differences between the ANH five footer and the modified extras that went on it in TESB?

So far i got:

-Landing Gear boxes
-Cockpit
-Fallen off greeblies,tho which ones im not sure
-Dish was changed?????

If some of you guys could help me that would be awesome.Maybe others will be doing the mods to get it up to TESB version so specifics would be great. Even some links to another thread would be great :)

I was pondering over it today,What exactly are the main differences between the ANH five footer and the modified extras that went on it in TESB?

So far i got:

-Landing Gear boxes
-Cockpit
-Fallen off greeblies,tho which ones im not sure
-Dish was changed?????

If some of you guys could help me that would be awesome.Maybe others will be doing the mods to get it up to TESB version so specifics would be great. Even some links to another thread would be great :)

I'll post some images later Roboted,.....the dish is the same as the SW one....but it has a missing ring around the central cone....& in photos its upside down....probably just rotated round & tilted to make it upside down....
There were headlights added for the Asteroid/Slug scene....
Running lights added around the lower hull
The Quad laser had its axis broken off & was glued on to the rod

RR7R9w6.jpg

oKQeD7Y.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

J

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 19.26.00.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 19.26.00.png
    285.6 KB · Views: 944
  • Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 19.25.39.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 19.25.39.png
    289.3 KB · Views: 939
Nice one Jaitea and nkg :)

I would think the ring on the dish will be a seperate piece so that can be left off.

Im also guessing the front landing gear boxes are just fitted over the existing pits and hull plating was added to the edge, but were there any additional parts added to the pits?

The great thing is that the boxes will be easy to size as the greeblie location can be used as an accurate reference.

The quad laser cannons i will leave alone as they re-appear in the new films and likely were not meant to be discarded at the time, and i prefer the look of them compared to the shoddy plastic rod.

The head lights and running lights i were going to do anyway.

Im actually pleased there is something i can scratchbuild for the kit :)

The pits were completely redesigned as well as narrowed.

If you look at photos of the underside of the hull as it exists today you can see small gaps in the plating where the extra plating was put in.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back