Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon A NEW GROUP BUILD! OPEN TO EVERYONE!

Does anyone know if this kit will include the stickers?

The outline of the stickers made for a good airbrush stencil on the 1/44.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if I ordered from US Gundam pretty much day one, when I can I expect to have this in my mailbox?

I've heard a release date of August 28th, but others say October 31st, and CultTVMan is saying December. I ordered from GundamUSA too and I'm assuming it won't be in my hands before Christmas. If it comes earlier, whoo-hoo.

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon A NEW GROUP BUILD! OPEN TO EVERYONE!

Does anyone know if this kit will include the stickers?

The outline of the stickers made for a good airbrush stencil on the 1/44.

Sadly no mention of stickers in any of the promotional material.

The stickers look crappy, but as you say - great masks.

The video that Jaitea posted has a promising shot that suggests etched material is used. However, the cockpit does look like it's 3D printed, and it's the model with the weird cutout error on one of the four round mandible pits. So it's clearly a prototype on display there.

I think it's safe to say we don't know what the production model will have until we know. :)

etched?.jpg

The video that Jaitea posted has a promising shot that suggests etched material is used. However, the cockpit does look like it's 3D printed, and it's the model with the weird cutout error on one of the four round mandible pits. So it's clearly a prototype on display there.

I think it's safe to say we don't know what the production model will have until we know. :)

View attachment 746430

I'm not always right, but I'm seldom wrong,......:cool

J

Mmmmm, looks good. I'll definitely be getting one of these when they come out and may even crack into it right away. Based on my observations on previous Falcon models I am pretty sure this is probably going to be about 3-5% bigger than the FineMolds Falcon because the Falcon's scale was redrawn slightly after the FM kit came out. It might even end up a little larger in size than the vintage MPC kit. Plus the size difference is noticeable when comparing the 1/144 FM and Bandai offerings.

I'll probably end up doing a close to OOB build on mine. Yes, some aftermarket options might be worth pursuing (such as fans under the solar collectors if somebody does them). But I've usually been one to focus on doing a first class battle damage, paint and weathering job on my models. I learned a lot when I did my FMMF all those years ago and it still looks just as good today. I should have enough references to be able to pull off something similar with this model, yet the ANH paintjob will have its own challenges.

I can't wait. And when done maybe it will help clear the log jam and provide the inspiration for me to finish my DeAgostini model.

I'll probably end up doing a close to OOB build on mine. Yes, some aftermarket options might be worth pursuing (such as fans under the solar collectors if somebody does them). But I've usually been one to focus on doing a first class battle damage, paint and weathering job on my models. I learned a lot when I did my FMMF all those years ago and it still looks just as good today. I should have enough references to be able to pull off something similar with this model, yet the ANH paintjob will have its own challenges.

I can't wait. And when done maybe it will help clear the log jam and provide the inspiration for me to finish my DeAgostini model.

The kit comes with PE, & going by the 1/144, which had those fans on the engine deck,...but covered with plastic vents, I'd say that there'll be no need to buy aftermarket parts for the 1/72, Bandai looks like they have everything sorted for the ANH version,

Aftermarket stuff definitely will appear to mod for the 5 gear ESB version

J

Last edited:
Aftermarket stuff definitely will appear to mod for the 5 gear ESB version

J

I bet the biggest aftermarket items with be a true ANH cockpit to replace the extended TESB one and a studio model translucent engine section. I'm sure someone will also do a studio model faux cockpit for the purists.

Cockpit and engine mods are easy, and I'll bet we'll see plenty of those coming out.

A landing gear mod would be really tough. It's the thin panel lines around the bottom pits that would be really hard work to do convincingly.

Other than that there aren't a ton of movie-accurate mods I can see coming!

I bet the biggest aftermarket items with be a true ANH cockpit to replace the extended TESB one and a studio model translucent engine section. I'm sure someone will also do a studio model faux cockpit for the purists.
Extended ESB cockpit on this model? Are we talking interior or exterior?

Extended ESB cockpit on this model? Interior or exterior?

The former. The exterior of the Bandai 1:72 cockpit looks accurate to the 5 foot model, not the slightly longer (proportionately) 32" model cockpit.

However, for some bizarre reason Bandai have modelled the 1:72 exterior after the ANH 5 foot Falcon, but the cockpit interior after the ESB and ROTJ full-size interior set, which is deeper than the ANH interior set was.

The former. The exterior of the Bandai 1:72 cockpit looks accurate to the 5 foot model, not the slightly longer (proportionately) 32" model cockpit.

However, for some bizarre reason Bandai have modelled the 1:72 exterior after the ANH 5 foot Falcon, but the cockpit interior after the ESB and ROTJ full-size interior set, which is deeper than the ANH interior set was.
That's what I figured. He didn't specify in his post and I was going to argue that the exterior looks pretty good to me.

It's likely because Bandai had access to all the filming models dimensions, for all their kits....& the most common & accessible dimensions of the cockpit interior,....the revised & more sturdily designed set.......

J

That's what I figured. He didn't specify in his post and I was going to argue that the exterior looks pretty good to me.

Yeah, I meant the interior. Of course, strictly speaking it's impossible to completely replicate the ANH interior cockpit in any version of the Falcon since the window spokes don't match between the interior and exterior -- but I doubt anyone is going to start re-positioning spokes just to match a set continuity error from one movie.

It's likely because Bandai had access to all the filming models dimensions, for all their kits....& the most common & accessible dimensions of the cockpit interior,....the revised & more sturdily designed set.......

I don't know... it really is a mystery to me, given Bandai's clear emphasis on total accuracy to the exterior of the shooting model. Why reproduce the interior from a totally different movie? The blueprints for both versions of the set are widely available to the public, so I doubt there's anything particularly secret about either design.

The only thing is there's an okay photo of the ANH front console, but none publicly available that I've found that show the ESB front console. :)

Anyway. It's not a big deal as most people won't care or know or notice, and it's easy to fix.

I'd say the revised cockpit would be the better option,....it was revised for a reason

J

I agree, the ESB/ROTJ cockpit was a huge improvement and it's a good choice to go with that version. I'm thinking of using magnets to hold the cockpit capsule in place so it can be removed, to allow swapping the kit interior with a scratch built version of the filming model interior.

I agree, the ESB/ROTJ cockpit was a huge improvement and it's a good choice to go with that version. I'm thinking of using magnets to hold the cockpit capsule in place so it can be removed, to allow swapping the kit interior with a scratch built version of the filming model interior.

Brilliant idea!!

J

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back