Bash's Tomenosuke 2049 build thread

Bash

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Today I finally got my hands on something that i've been waiting a very long time to get my hands on... a Tomenosuke.
If you live in the UK you'll know that there's always a risk importing one of these due to our Customs setup; it had always put me off ordering one before but luckily i've finally been lucky enough to source one from the UK thanks to a member on this forum. Thanks pal :thumbsup.

To say i'm excited is an understatement. Initially I had in mind to buy an assembled version but now I have the kit I'm really happy I chose to go down this route. I love the idea of assembling it myself and think i'll enjoy the piece even more once i've completed it.

I also love how everyone seems to build theirs slightly differently; we all like the idea of getting as close to the original hero prop, although at the same time people sometimes like to make some small changes. For instance, I do not wish to rust the edges on mine, which some people would choose to do to theirs to be totally 'Hero-prop' accurate. Instead I prefer the idea of mine being of-the-time where the gun would be well looked after and oiled regularly. Plus I prefer the cleaner look. It's these subtle differences (including slight natural variations from one build to another such as sanding, and choice of finish) that make each blaster unique to the owner; something I find oddly satisfying.

I'd love to document each part of the build so thought i'd start off with a couple of pics. I know i'm not close to being the first person to do this but i'll enjoy the process and hopefully you guys will enjoy the read.

Oh and, always be Knolling.

Bash

box.jpg

bullets.jpg

Tomenosuke_knoll.jpg

Attachments

• bullets.jpg
    bullets.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,207
  • box.jpg
    box.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 1,213
  • Tomenosuke_knoll.jpg
    Tomenosuke_knoll.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 1,209
Last edited:
I'm the same, I don't want to give it the rusted look. I do want a bit of wear though and I have stuck fairly close to the weathering of the hero prop for things like the black painted side covers, the butt, etc. I like to think it'll be of the time when Deckard was in his prime as a Blade Runner, before retirement and rust got hold! I'm in the UK also and I was surprised to only have a £24 customs fee.

Congrats! She sure is a beaut!

Are the kits available again? I missed the last run and have been kicking myself ever since...

Sean

I'm the same, I don't want to give it the rusted look. I do want a bit of wear though and I have stuck fairly close to the weathering of the hero prop for things like the black painted side covers, the butt, etc. I like to think it'll be of the time when Deckard was in his prime as a Blade Runner, before retirement and rust got hold! I'm in the UK also and I was surprised to only have a £24 customs fee.

You did well chap! I bought this off a guy who imported it so luckily all of that had been taken care of. Whereabouts are you? I'm midlands.

Congrats! She sure is a beaut!

Are the kits available again? I missed the last run and have been kicking myself ever since...

Sean

I don't believe so mate i'm afraid. As above, I bought this off a UK lad who decided to sell his. I was lucky!

Update 1: Grips

Have a bit of time this evening so thought i'd start off with something easy after last nights knolling session. The grips.

Deciding I couldn't bring myself to hand polish them for 17 days I carefully used my automotive rotary polisher with standard car polish working through the pad grades and voila:

grips_before_and_after.jpg

Happy with the result. Still took longer than expected! :lol

Finished up with some high quality wax. Now I just have to repeat the process on grip no.2

Last edited:
That looks awesome man! What brand of polish did you use?

Thanks bro! You do have to be careful with rotary polishers but i;ve used them a fair bit now so im used to them. Tested it first on the back and went from there. Just finished the second grip now. I used AutoFinesse Trippple polish, had it sat about. But you can use any decent quality polish really.

Method

- Deburred the flashing round the outside carefully with a scalpel
- Sanded edges with 1200 wet and dry
- Used cutting pad / polishing pad / finishing pad I had already for the rotary polisher
- Final polish by hand
- Wax by hand

Easy!

Last edited:
Looking forward to following this and learning from your build tips. (have a Coyle kit waiting for me in the UK that I need to start work on when I am done traveling)

Definitely subscribed, waiting for my kit and will be following closely. Fantastic pics btw.

Thanks bud! Trying to do a good job of documenting stuff, its fun and it's making more use of my camera!

Will be following this thread with great interest... Great job on the grips!

Cheers bro, it was kind of nerve wracking! Last time I used a rotary polisher for something the piece dug into the pad and wrenched out of my hand and smashed across the room. Least it taught me to be extra careful with these grips!!

Looking forward to following this and learning from your build tips. (have a Coyle kit waiting for me in the UK that I need to start work on when I am done traveling)

Thanks dude, I wouldn't say i'm an expert by any means, but you learn stuff over the years through different projects. I'm much better at spray painting than I used to be for example; so that should help.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back