Bash's Tomenosuke 2049 build thread

Got a package from Japan today ! 13 days in customs can make a guy nervous. . . oh yeah, and no import fees if anyone in Canada is wondering.

oh you guys and your no import fees... I had to pay 143euro... ;)
Your job on the grips is amazing. I tried on mine and actually made them bluryer... I have to try with a machine or buy a better polishing compound.
really looking forward to see what's next! :thumbsup

oh you guys and your no import fees... I had to pay 143euro... ;)
Your job on the grips is amazing. I tried on mine and actually made them bluryer... I have to try with a machine or buy a better polishing compound.
really looking forward to see what's next! :thumbsup

In case you misread my earlier post chap, I did use a rotary polishing machine which is why (if you did it by hand) it would have made it blurrier. You need a fairly high rpm and very fine polishing pads to make it work. Yours will come back up ok just by doing what you did before i'm sure.

This is similar it what I used:
ep801.jpg

Decent update coming tomorrow all being well. Done a fair bit today but it's too late to get a post together now.

Update 2: Metalwork prep

The next job after sorting the grips was to start tackling the metalwork. The Tomenosuke castings are excellent, but they aren't as i'm sure you're aware without fault.

metal_components_as_issued.jpg

Grips_and_hilt_before.jpg

So I set about starting to polish the components up. I might have gone a little overboard with some pieces, but I wanted a decent smooth finish to give the best result on the painted items, and for the items which need bluing I can always hit them back with some wire wool to give them a uniformed 'scuff' before the process.

metal_components_polished.jpg

metal_components_polished_2.jpg

grip_polished.jpg

The internal bulldog frame I weathered to be true to the original prop, but as i've decided to build this 'as issued' I've decided to repaint it. I'm going to build the gun as cleanly as possible because at the end of the day, if I decide after a year or so to make it more accurate to the hero prop I can just weather all the parts at that stage. So I get the best of both worlds effectively.

Are you using the same rotary for this or are you using a dremel now? I assume I can use a dremel on the grips even ?

Wow, things are moving fast... I think we'll soon see a finished blaster here...

Are you considering wiring up the green leds too? Or will only the red ones light up? For me this is one of the cons of the finished Tomenosuke I have: the green leds not lighting up, and the "black" finish of barrel and receiver... I would have loved to see that blued instead of having this black-ish finish. To me, this was only done by Tomenosuke, so they could sell their Toku edition, of which the blueing is still a bit too dark to my taste... So I guess your version will come out nicer in the end ;).

Would love to know some details about your method and tools. Especially polishing and later the steps involved in the bluing. Keep it up!

Ok guys to answer some of the above questions:

The metal parts have all been sanded completely by hand, no dremel used. I feel they are too high an rpm and the surface area of the tooling is too small. I did use a drill with a polishing head on it to buff them up though.

Darthchris: Pieces were sanded with 400/600/1000/1200/0000 wire wool. Best advice for life is it's all in the prep. I've spent literally two days sanding all the bits by hand. I followed Buch's Bluing method which can be found on the link he referenced already. Pics up in due course.

Tom, i'm thinking of replacing the stock 'plastic' barrel with a metal one and bluing it. I am bluing the receiver; I have no intention of painting it. In terms of the green LEDs im not sure they lit up in the film? Does anyone know? I don't really relish the thought of wiring them into the existing electronics, so I may leave them for now and add that feature to them later.

Update 3: Metal painted

All come out pretty well. Used gloss black enamel paint, except on the inner guard and butt plate, where I used standard matt black paint to give a little contrast.

metalwork_painted.jpg

Update 4: Receiver ready for bluing

receiver_1.jpg

receiver_3.jpg

Update 5: Ready to build

So here are all the parts knolled out ready to build! I'm not yet happy with the receiver finish, but as I'm not truly going to know how all the parts work together until i've built the blaster i've decided to do just that; then see what bits I'm not happy with and go ahead and fix them.

Ready_to_build.jpg

Sorry for 3 updates at once guys. This build has progressed quickly as i'm off work at the minute, but updates were slow due to having a minor op the other day.

Looking forward to the build!

Very nice work! thanks for showing us your progress and process. I hope I can do as good a job as you do. looking forward to see it assembled.
I personally didn't have time yet to work too much on the finishing but I made a temporary assembly of mine without all the pieces that would be hard to remove. The kit is really great and quite easy to assemble but I got a few pieces that I had trouble with, for instance, the diagonal screw that fixes the inside grip with the outside grip frame, couldn't screw that one yet...
keep up the good work mate :thumbsup

Update 6: Complete

Well, I say complete, phase two will be a steel barrel, and re-blue of the Receiver, possibly followed by white wire, functional for the green LEDs (Not sure if i'm going to bother yet).

But for now, i'm pretty happy with the initial result. Heres a couple of pictures to keep you all satisfied. :cool Hope you guys approve.

056_P0797.jpg

056_P0799.jpg

056_P0800.jpg

Awesome! You've done a man's job on that one! And congrats on having one of the coolest props ever in your collection!

Tom, i'm thinking of replacing the stock 'plastic' barrel with a metal one and bluing it. I am bluing the receiver; I have no intention of painting it. In terms of the green LEDs im not sure they lit up in the film? Does anyone know? I don't really relish the thought of wiring them into the existing electronics, so I may leave them for now and add that feature to them later.

The green LED's on the hero prop did not light up. The "jewellers screwdriver" was a solid piece so no wiring could have been in there. The LED's were just glued on.

The green LED's on the hero prop did not light up. The "jewellers screwdriver" was a solid piece so no wiring could have been in there. The LED's were just glued on.

Thanks for clearing that up mate, to be fair mine stay in there pretty well due to the length of the LED tails, so I may just leave them as is for now.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back