New Iron Man mk46 build, advice requested

CharlzO

Good morning/evening/night all, based on location. I tried searching, but after about 2 hours of sorting through, I'm still rather on the fence. Here's my issue, and subsequent question.

Last year, I went with a UD Replicas Dark Knight with my Halloween costume, loved it, big hit. So naturally I needed something different for this year, and decided upon an Iron Man suit. I'm partial to the newer ones (they have the sleeker look to me, but I am open to suggestions, based on the rest of my thinking). Now, thanks to the wonderful state of NY taking an extra 5 months to send my refund back, now I'm in a bind. I had originally planned on commissioning an IM Nation suit, as everything I've seen shows them to be top notch. But with the popularity of his products lately, the lead time is about 20 weeks, a little late for the holiday. So that said, I’m in the boat of trying to figure out an alternative, which is where I need advice. I see options as follows:

I have an initial budget of $1000 USD, which was to be used as the initial down payment, and a total budget of.. we’ll say $2500 by October – so $1000 now, and then $1500 more saved by then, which would’ve been to pay the balance.

I can try to commission another work. I would need to find someone that a) has good quality, b) would work a similar pay plan with a deposit/balance arrangement, and c) can deliver in advance of Halloween.

I can try to build one out of foam myself. I’ve never worked with it, other than to glue a few pieces together, and spray some plasti on to make “at a glance-passable” pouches for a belt that never got used. I have no idea the finishing process, nor an idea of how long it would take. I do work, but I can make anywhere from 3-5 hours available almost every night, and can be free weekends if I need to. It LOOKS like it’s basically print patterns, transfer, cut, glue. But that’s just the tip of the iceberg. I know nothing about attaching them to anything to wear, and again, the painting end makes me nervous, since I never have. Not that I wouldn’t be willing to try, but I just don’t want to waste too much time and money if it’s something I just plain suck at.

I can buy a 3D printer and try that route. I’d been looking at them a while anyway, but have zero experience or knowledge with printing. I have no idea how much filament it would take, even a guess, or how much that material would cost. And I would still have to finish it off. My thinking is that for the money the printer would cost, that would give me far more foam to work with and experiment on.

My gut says try to do the foam myself, as it should, in theory, be cheaper overall, and providing I could put the appropriate time and research, then.. maybe? I am open to any and all suggestions, and tips, tricks, pointing to guides and anything (preferably with updated pictures, thanks Photobucket..), possible obstacles, and so on.

Good morning/evening/night all, based on location. I tried searching, but after about 2 hours of sorting through, I'm still rather on the fence. Here's my issue, and subsequent question.

Last year, I went with a UD Replicas Dark Knight with my Halloween costume, loved it, big hit. So naturally I needed something different for this year, and decided upon an Iron Man suit. I'm partial to the newer ones (they have the sleeker look to me, but I am open to suggestions, based on the rest of my thinking). Now, thanks to the wonderful state of NY taking an extra 5 months to send my refund back, now I'm in a bind. I had originally planned on commissioning an IM Nation suit, as everything I've seen shows them to be top notch. But with the popularity of his products lately, the lead time is about 20 weeks, a little late for the holiday. So that said, I’m in the boat of trying to figure out an alternative, which is where I need advice. I see options as follows:

I have an initial budget of $1000 USD, which was to be used as the initial down payment, and a total budget of.. we’ll say $2500 by October – so $1000 now, and then $1500 more saved by then, which would’ve been to pay the balance.

I can try to commission another work. I would need to find someone that a) has good quality, b) would work a similar pay plan with a deposit/balance arrangement, and c) can deliver in advance of Halloween.

I can try to build one out of foam myself. I’ve never worked with it, other than to glue a few pieces together, and spray some plasti on to make “at a glance-passable” pouches for a belt that never got used. I have no idea the finishing process, nor an idea of how long it would take. I do work, but I can make anywhere from 3-5 hours available almost every night, and can be free weekends if I need to. It LOOKS like it’s basically print patterns, transfer, cut, glue. But that’s just the tip of the iceberg. I know nothing about attaching them to anything to wear, and again, the painting end makes me nervous, since I never have. Not that I wouldn’t be willing to try, but I just don’t want to waste too much time and money if it’s something I just plain suck at.

I can buy a 3D printer and try that route. I’d been looking at them a while anyway, but have zero experience or knowledge with printing. I have no idea how much filament it would take, even a guess, or how much that material would cost. And I would still have to finish it off. My thinking is that for the money the printer would cost, that would give me far more foam to work with and experiment on.

My gut says try to do the foam myself, as it should, in theory, be cheaper overall, and providing I could put the appropriate time and research, then.. maybe? I am open to any and all suggestions, and tips, tricks, pointing to guides and anything (preferably with updated pictures, thanks Photobucket..), possible obstacles, and so on.
I know it is a bit more than your budget, but it is so awesome, I just had to share. This was sent to me from an inquiry from their site.

hero.killerbody.com

There are 2 versions of Finished*Iron Man MK7*Full Suit: KB20003*standard version USD$3,999,*best discount: $3699;

KB20004 high-end version USD$9,699,*best discount: $8999. (All price not include shipping cost)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I have built an mk46 out of foam and I've started on 3d printing the whole suit.
I can guarantee you that a 3d printed suit is near impossible for the timeframe (Halloween). Possible could be a foam suit with a 3d printed or casted helmet.

Send me a message on FB facebook.com/ironmarkprops1 if you have interest on a commission or if you have further questions

FB: facebook.com/ironmarkprops1
IG: instagram.com/ironmarkprops

Thanks for the replies so far. The killerbody one is stunning, but yeah, the price tag is a little out of what I was hoping to go with. They're more for me to do Halloween with, and then store in case I get asked to come to a party or something like that, but nothing that I'd be looking to lay out much more than where I was.
markseven - sent you a message on FB just a few ago, thanks again, and wonderful looking work you have!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've built about 5 Iron Man suits now (4 full ones but I could probably make a suit from all the scrapped parts and pieces that I scaled wrong and ended up leaving to the side), most of them out of foam (first was out of cardboard). A foam suit can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months to build. I got my workflow down to 2 weeks, that's IF I work on it about 8-10 hours a day (I'm in college so I don't work on summer holidays and have all my time to do it), but with 5 hours of work every night, with the fact you're still starting out you're looking at roughly 2 months I'd say.

Mk 46 is a TOUGH suit to start with though, man. But if you want to go for it I'm happy to lend a hand if I'm needed and provide tips and stuff :)

I've decided to go ahead and do a preliminary run of foam building and see how horrible I do at it. If I can do it decent enough, I'll keep going. If not, I found a link from the Hacksmith's youtube for thearmoryfactory.com which claims 4-5 week turnaround for a foam/resin build, for what seems to be a decent price overall, within my budget. So I think if I take a week and tinker, I'll know whether or not to continue, or outsource. Often times, what my brain says "how hard can this be" never translates into success. The only downfall with it, is they have the Mk7 and 42 options. I would likely go MK7 if I go that route (a little cheaper, has the motorized helmet as an option, and the iconic color and IM look). If I do end up doing the build myself, I'll start a thread. Wish me luck!

I certainly have a new level of respect for all you foam artists out there. I'm certainly going to need a few thousand more miles of practice. Picked up a bunch of supplies today to do some practice-work (Harbor Freight mats and whatnot), re-scaled the files, and did some rough-cutting and gluing. And holy smokes that's an art form I sure won't be picking up easily lol. I have a very rough bicep piece that is way too large on me (took a shot in the dark thinking I might need a 1% increase in scale, but I'm not The Rock, so..). Tomorrow will be paint tests, and then the final decision. I'm 99% sure though, that I can make a version of the suit on my own, with modifications. It won't be nearly movie accurate, but I'm thinking I can make something very passable with a fraction of the cost of the main suit. But that decision will come after the paint, and another couple foam tests. Even if I end up shopping out, it gave me an excuse to buy new toys (compressors, guns, knives, mats, etc). So no matter what, still a win :)

If you want to save yourself time scaling all the parts you could get Armorsmith Designer. You create an avatar based on your body and then drag and drop the pdo files in an scale in the program

It's always fun and frustrating at the same time taking on a new project in an unfamiliar material and method. Lots of time and practice but I will always promote using foam for iron Man suits,I've been making them for a few years and get better with each suit I make

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back