Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Glasgow
    1 Week Ago  Jul 11, 2017, 4:14 PM - Titanfall 2 dataknife #1

Was going to wait till I was completely finished before posting any pics but what the hell..
    Titanfall pilots knife nearly done, just needs to be lacquered & to make the display stand.
    I used strontium aluminate for the display & lights as I didn't want to put power in it.
    1 Week Ago  Jul 11, 2017, 6:41 PM - Re: Titanfall 2 dataknife #2

Well, as the guy selling titanfall dataknives, I'm impressed. That's some nice finishing work on the paintjob, and using strontium for a glow in the dark effect is pretty clever, but I'm more interested in production on this. I'm assuming this is 3d printed?
    From
    Seattle
    1 Week Ago  Jul 11, 2017, 6:53 PM - Re: Titanfall 2 dataknife #3

This is pretty bad ass, I just got the bug to start playing TF2 again after a 6 months break. I forgot how much I love the designs. Fantastic job on the knife.
  4. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Glasgow
    1 Week Ago  Jul 12, 2017, 12:20 AM - Re: Titanfall 2 dataknife #4

Ein said: View Post
    Well, as the guy selling titanfall dataknives, I'm impressed. That's some nice finishing work on the paintjob, and using strontium for a glow in the dark effect is pretty clever, but I'm more interested in production on this. I'm assuming this is 3d printed?
    Yeah it's 3d printed on a form 2 at 0.025mm layer thickness. It turned out pretty close to the 3d model with very little post processing. It's an amazing machine.
    Just realised that you're fused creations! Love your Stuff!
    I used yours as a reference, when you Google data knife images yours is everywhere!
    I built it off the render on the titanfall wiki & by pausing the hacking animation in the game & used your pics to fill in the blanks, especially the other side as I couldn't see that at all in the game.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
  5. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Glasgow
    1 Week Ago  Jul 12, 2017, 12:21 AM - Re: Titanfall 2 dataknife #5

ower said: View Post
    This is pretty bad ass, I just got the bug to start playing TF2 again after a 6 months break. I forgot how much I love the designs. Fantastic job on the knife.
    Thanks man I really appreciate that!

1 Week Ago  Jul 12, 2017, 7:06 AM - Re: Titanfall 2 dataknife #6

itsgreg said: View Post
    Yeah it's 3d printed on a form 2 at 0.025mm layer thickness. It turned out pretty close to the 3d model with very little post processing. It's an amazing machine.
    Just realised that you're fused creations! Love your Stuff!
    I used yours as a reference, when you Google data knife images yours is everywhere!
    I built it off the render on the titanfall wiki & by pausing the hacking animation in the game & used your pics to fill in the blanks, especially the other side as I couldn't see that at all in the game. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...595ac3b7f5.jpg

I've been so tempted by resin printers lately, and you're not helping. Though I've been considering one of those cheapo Wanhao i7s, rather than the $3,500+ for a Form 2. The notion of printing at that layer thickness is absolutely nuts. I was looking for print lines on your model - no wonder I couldn't see any. What's the post-processing like? Is this the straight resin print, or did you make a mold of it? I've been told that the printed parts can degrade over time due to UV exposure, and I'm just wondering if you've had any experience with that. As I think about it now, I doubt it would matter anyway - since you've painted the thing, it's not like the underlying resin is getting exposed anyway.

Awesome work, though, and I love the base you've designed as well. I was playing around with the idea of a spectre head as a charging stand for mine, but haven't had the time to actually fabricate anything yet.
  7. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Glasgow
    1 Week Ago  Jul 12, 2017, 11:12 AM - Re: Titanfall 2 dataknife #7

Ein said: View Post
    I've been so tempted by resin printers lately, and you're not helping. Though I've been considering one of those cheapo Wanhao i7s, rather than the $3,500+ for a Form 2. The notion of printing at that layer thickness is absolutely nuts. I was looking for print lines on your model - no wonder I couldn't see any. What's the post-processing like? Is this the straight resin print, or did you make a mold of it? I've been told that the printed parts can degrade over time due to UV exposure, and I'm just wondering if you've had any experience with that. As I think about it now, I doubt it would matter anyway - since you've painted the thing, it's not like the underlying resin is getting exposed anyway.

Awesome work, though, and I love the base you've designed as well. I was playing around with the idea of a spectre head as a charging stand for mine, but haven't had the time to actually fabricate anything yet.
    This is off the printer no casting. There's very little post processing just cutting off the supports & sanding any dimples they've left.
    I was the same as you, I swithered over getting a form 2 for ages but it's worth it. Infact I'd go as far as saying it's changed the way I make models. One thing to note is its way more expensive printing on the form 2, hollowing your models is a must!
    I had a ctc riverside sla printer before this one & it was a nightmare, ended up throwing it in the bin!
    Don't know what the wanhao would be like but I've got a wanhao duplicator 5s & it's pretty good.
    Gonna cast the base for the knife in concrete, hopefully get it moulded up tomorrow but I've gotta do a bit of sanding as I printed it on the duplicator.
    From
    Cheboygan, MI
    1 Week Ago  Jul 12, 2017, 12:37 PM - Re: Titanfall 2 dataknife #8

I don't even play video games, and your build is so fantastic it makes me want one of these.

I'd love to see some pics, if you took any, before you painted this up. I'm pretty curious about the resin printers.
  9. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Glasgow
    1 Week Ago  Jul 12, 2017, 1:40 PM - Re: Titanfall 2 dataknife #9

Noeland said: View Post
    I don't even play video games, and your build is so fantastic it makes me want one of these.

I'd love to see some pics, if you took any, before you painted this up. I'm pretty curious about the resin printers.
    Sure no problem. That's before any sanding, only removed the supports & washed it.

From
    Cheboygan, MI
    1 Week Ago  Jul 12, 2017, 1:51 PM - Re: Titanfall 2 dataknife #10

Wow. That's super clean.
    From
    Atlanta, Ga
    1 Week Ago  Jul 13, 2017, 7:25 AM - Re: Titanfall 2 dataknife #11

That's a great looking data knife!
  12. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Glasgow
    1 Week Ago  Jul 13, 2017, 9:47 AM - Re: Titanfall 2 dataknife #12

Evolver79 said: View Post
    That's a great looking data knife!
    Thanks, I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out!

13. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Glasgow
    4 Days Ago  Jul 16, 2017, 4:16 AM - Re: Titanfall 2 dataknife #13

Base for the dataknife made & moulded ready to be cast in concrete.

14. Member Since
    Apr 2011
    4 Days Ago  Jul 16, 2017, 1:20 PM - Re: Titanfall 2 dataknife #14

That is beautiful! Super impressive.
    What kind of software do you use to model these? I'm really wanting a 3d printer, but id like to learn my way around the software first.
  15. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Glasgow
    4 Days Ago  Jul 16, 2017, 1:34 PM - Re: Titanfall 2 dataknife #15

Thanks! I use rhino 5 although many of the free alternatives as fine, such as sketchup or fusion 360. I only started using rhino as it was the software platform a previous company i worked for used.
  16. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Glasgow
    3 Days Ago  Jul 17, 2017, 6:14 AM - Re: Titanfall 2 dataknife #16

Base cast in concrete & weathered.

From
    West Europe
    3 Days Ago  Jul 17, 2017, 9:28 AM - Re: Titanfall 2 dataknife #17

Don't know much about titanfall, but I love this prop. Stand is also a great idea.
  18. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Glasgow
    3 Days Ago  Jul 17, 2017, 1:43 PM - Re: Titanfall 2 dataknife #18

Jack said: View Post
    Don't know much about titanfall, but I love this prop. Stand is also a great idea.
    Thanks man! Hopefully I'll finish it tomorrow, just need to redo the acrylic dome over the display because I'm not happy with it.

19. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Glasgow
    1 Day Ago  Jul 19, 2017, 7:26 AM - Re: Titanfall 2 dataknife #19

Data knife finished!
    Resin knife with concrete Base.
    Redid some of the paint on the knife (subtle but makes a difference) & weathered the base a bit more.
  20. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Glasgow
    19 Hours Ago  Jul 20, 2017, 5:57 AM - Re: Titanfall 2 dataknife #20

I know I said I was finished but I've decided to do the sheath for the knife as well.
    Bare bones of it done.