Titanfall 2 dataknife

itsgreg

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Was going to wait till I was completely finished before posting any pics but what the hell..
Titanfall pilots knife nearly done, just needs to be lacquered & to make the display stand.
I used strontium aluminate for the display & lights as I didn't want to put power in it.
eddacbf5433aed3bcb1905312546da33.jpg
1c4c9eba2fae0739ea65bec6b00ca691.jpg
35461f01ffa5562019c699eed96de247.jpg
3b7df7f950554831b7441f3fc4305d1e.jpg
e65bbe755d5b9ed45835134e6ac32a65.jpg

Well, as the guy selling titanfall dataknives, I'm impressed. That's some nice finishing work on the paintjob, and using strontium for a glow in the dark effect is pretty clever, but I'm more interested in production on this. I'm assuming this is 3d printed?

This is pretty bad ass, I just got the bug to start playing TF2 again after a 6 months break. I forgot how much I love the designs. Fantastic job on the knife.

Well, as the guy selling titanfall dataknives, I'm impressed. That's some nice finishing work on the paintjob, and using strontium for a glow in the dark effect is pretty clever, but I'm more interested in production on this. I'm assuming this is 3d printed?
Yeah it's 3d printed on a form 2 at 0.025mm layer thickness. It turned out pretty close to the 3d model with very little post processing. It's an amazing machine.
Just realised that you're fused creations! Love your Stuff!
I used yours as a reference, when you Google data knife images yours is everywhere!
I built it off the render on the titanfall wiki & by pausing the hacking animation in the game & used your pics to fill in the blanks, especially the other side as I couldn't see that at all in the game.
61e746835249df6005f5f4595ac3b7f5.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

This is pretty bad ass, I just got the bug to start playing TF2 again after a 6 months break. I forgot how much I love the designs. Fantastic job on the knife.
Thanks man I really appreciate that!

Yeah it's 3d printed on a form 2 at 0.025mm layer thickness. It turned out pretty close to the 3d model with very little post processing. It's an amazing machine.
Just realised that you're fused creations! Love your Stuff!
I used yours as a reference, when you Google data knife images yours is everywhere!
I built it off the render on the titanfall wiki & by pausing the hacking animation in the game & used your pics to fill in the blanks, especially the other side as I couldn't see that at all in the game. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170712/61e746835249df6005f5f4595ac3b7f5.jpg

I've been so tempted by resin printers lately, and you're not helping. :wacko Though I've been considering one of those cheapo Wanhao i7s, rather than the $3,500+ for a Form 2. The notion of printing at that layer thickness is absolutely nuts. I was looking for print lines on your model - no wonder I couldn't see any. What's the post-processing like? Is this the straight resin print, or did you make a mold of it? I've been told that the printed parts can degrade over time due to UV exposure, and I'm just wondering if you've had any experience with that. As I think about it now, I doubt it would matter anyway - since you've painted the thing, it's not like the underlying resin is getting exposed anyway.

Awesome work, though, and I love the base you've designed as well. I was playing around with the idea of a spectre head as a charging stand for mine, but haven't had the time to actually fabricate anything yet.

I've been so tempted by resin printers lately, and you're not helping. :wacko Though I've been considering one of those cheapo Wanhao i7s, rather than the $3,500+ for a Form 2. The notion of printing at that layer thickness is absolutely nuts. I was looking for print lines on your model - no wonder I couldn't see any. What's the post-processing like? Is this the straight resin print, or did you make a mold of it? I've been told that the printed parts can degrade over time due to UV exposure, and I'm just wondering if you've had any experience with that. As I think about it now, I doubt it would matter anyway - since you've painted the thing, it's not like the underlying resin is getting exposed anyway.

Awesome work, though, and I love the base you've designed as well. I was playing around with the idea of a spectre head as a charging stand for mine, but haven't had the time to actually fabricate anything yet.
This is off the printer no casting. There's very little post processing just cutting off the supports & sanding any dimples they've left.
I was the same as you, I swithered over getting a form 2 for ages but it's worth it. Infact I'd go as far as saying it's changed the way I make models. One thing to note is its way more expensive printing on the form 2, hollowing your models is a must!
I had a ctc riverside sla printer before this one & it was a nightmare, ended up throwing it in the bin!
Don't know what the wanhao would be like but I've got a wanhao duplicator 5s & it's pretty good.
Gonna cast the base for the knife in concrete, hopefully get it moulded up tomorrow but I've gotta do a bit of sanding as I printed it on the duplicator.

I don't even play video games, and your build is so fantastic it makes me want one of these.

I'd love to see some pics, if you took any, before you painted this up. I'm pretty curious about the resin printers.

Base for the dataknife made & moulded ready to be cast in concrete.
e2ff575b650a1548986f95c443ca220d.jpg

That is beautiful! Super impressive.
What kind of software do you use to model these? I'm really wanting a 3d printer, but id like to learn my way around the software first.

Thanks! I use rhino 5 although many of the free alternatives as fine, such as sketchup or fusion 360. I only started using rhino as it was the software platform a previous company i worked for used.

Don't know much about titanfall, but I love this prop. Stand is also a great idea.
Thanks man! Hopefully I'll finish it tomorrow, just need to redo the acrylic dome over the display because I'm not happy with it.

I know I said I was finished but I've decided to do the sheath for the knife as well.
Bare bones of it done.
cb7480bf798a6598a19ec40910b447ab.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back