Maz Kanata mini-bust

Howlrunner

Sr Member
This is the first thing I've had time to do in a LONG time, so it's been great to get back into the swing of things and do some Star Wars projects.

I got this as a raw 3D print from a friend with a 3D printer - he used this excellent free file from Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1325098

His printer had a bit of a glitch and ended up stop/starting halfway up the neck, so that required a bit of a fill and then I hit the worst of the 3D print line areas with some Milliput to smooth them out:

34ge11b.jpg

3FGb57c.jpg

Zx6T4Cl.jpg

After that, I gave it a spray of primer, a light sand in the worst spots and then stippled the whole thing with Revell brown paint (I've found that stippling with Revell paints works fantastically at smoothing out 3D prints). Then did some work on the skintones:

wkpaLMr.jpg

Bit more paintwork, and the saturation turned up to get a better idea of the different colours used:

d9KPwRH.jpg

Finished painting her, then used a pair of compasses and my dremel to cut lenses out of a clear acrylic bauble from the bits-o-stuff box:

UwxS6Qf.jpg

uuhmrM2.jpg

uYPY1oG.jpg

Colours are done to match the onscreen CGI Maz - the painted Maz maquette which is used in all of the reference books I have has quite different hues and tones from what appears in the film.

That looks awesome!

Where did the 3D file come from? I mean, was it extracted out if something, or did someone actually create it by hand in a 3D program?

That looks awesome!

Where did the 3D file come from? I mean, was it extracted out if something, or did someone actually create it by hand in a 3D program?

According to the Thingiverse page, the 3D file was created by user FreeForm3D using "3dsmax and Mudbox with the slicing done in Meshmixer."

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back