The 100 greatest props in movie history, and the stories behind them

ghostryder

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/greatest-movie-props

tmg-gift_guide_variable_2x.jpg

Blade Runner blaster isn't among them. The list is invalid.

With the amount of intensive research done by international fans collectively and individually over the course of over 30 years that has to be on any list of legendary props.

It certainly deserves a place over a Quiddich golden snitch.

Nonsense. The 2006 Containercon discovery of the original plastic bag from American Beauty is far more significant.

Blade Runner blaster isn't among them. The list is invalid.

With the amount of intensive research done by international fans collectively and individually over the course of over 30 years that has to be on any list of legendary props.

It certainly deserves a place over a Quiddich golden snitch.

This list or ANY list is invalid. If you want a definitive list that you can validate you have to have a VERY specific criteria and guidelines for an item to make the list otherwise it's mostly opinion. This list is not specific enough and there lies the problem. It would be nearly impossible to create a list that we would all agree on. For example, as mentioned above, I would never have the Bladerunner blaster on my list. Though a fine movie, other than the folks on this forum, nobody remembers what the gun looks like. With that, I think anyone would be hard pressed to create a list of say, 20 props that most of the "average joe" would even recognize.

On on a side note (and I say this mostly tongue in cheek), any list concerning props that's is created without consulting US would certainly be invalid! I mean seriously, who knows props more than us as a collective body?!

Why would the fertility idol from Raiders be in there but not the Ark? No average Joe is going to know what that idol is, but everyone knows what the Ark looks like.

So now I think we should make an "Average Joe's 20 Most Iconic Props" list. No repeating of a franchise within the list ( e.g no Graflex & Han's blaster) and in no particular order. Even though it's hard to quantify the average movie goer's knowledge I think it could be fun. I bet it's on the list in the OP but my first entry would be The Bride's Hattori Hanzo sword.

It is just a subjective list y'all. No reason to feel personally slighted. To add to the conversation it would be great if people continued to post an item they feel was not on the list.

Some of those, yeah, others... if you can't recognise it in 0.5 seconds then no. I mean, A knife with blood on? Yeah it's probably Psycho, but I'd argue the scene and music is more iconic than the prop. I mean, without looking could you even describe what kind of knife it was?
Similarly.. a banjo? A hammer? Some binoculars? Those just aren't unique enough to be specific to one film. Unlike the lightsaber - you could draw that with half a dozen errors (and they have) and people would still recognise it.

A Trek Gorn head (costume) would definately be on my list. Also something from the Wizard of Oz, like Dorothy's basket with a little Yorkie poking out, or the Wicked Witch of the West's legs poking out from under a house, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of those, yeah, others... if you can't recognise it in 0.5 seconds then no. I mean, A knife with blood on? Yeah it's probably Psycho, but I'd argue the scene and music is more iconic than the prop. I mean, without looking could you even describe what kind of knife it was?
Similarly.. a banjo? A hammer? Some binoculars? Those just aren't unique enough to be specific to one film. Unlike the lightsaber - you could draw that with half a dozen errors (and they have) and people would still recognise it.
Banjo - Deliverance
Binoculars - it has to be Rear Window.
Hammer - (I'm thinking some serial killer movie)?

I've come to realize most of these articles are entirely arbitrary by design. Like any "Top #" Lists online it's just clickbait.
And the more people disagree the more attention it gets.

The props on the list play important parts in the stories themselves. Lightsaber e.g. marks turning points in hero journeys. BR blaster is just a tool to kill replicants and could be easily replaced with any other gun. That IMO is the criteria to nake it on such a list. Not the aesthetic but what a prop adds to a story.

The props on the list play important parts in the stories themselves. Lightsaber e.g. marks turning points in hero journeys. BR blaster is just a tool to kill replicants and could be easily replaced with any other gun. That IMO is the criteria to nake it on such a list. Not the aesthetic but what a prop adds to a story.

Case in point, say, the Ruby Slippers?

I almost agreed until I noticed that Bruce Lee's nunchucks from Game of Death are on the list, too. Those are not at all important to the plot of that film.

Similarly the hoverboard, red Swingline stapler and the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch are just throwaway gags.

BR blaster is just a tool to kill replicants and could be easily replaced with any other gun.
For my own sanity I'm going to forget you said that.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back