Face Painting

senorpartagas

Hi everyone,I apologize in advance if (and I am sure it has been) this has been covered, but I cant seem to find it. I am brand new to figure painting. I am doing a 1/6 Frankenstein and am looking for some good face painting tutorials or instructions. I just don't understand the layering and mentality behind it all. Help?

YouTube has several videos. I honestly haven't seen much here concentrating on figure face painting as a topic. Military modelling websites might also be another place to look.

TazMan2000

David Fisher has a great series called modelmania.

http://www.modelmaniadvd.com

The videos were made ages&ages (think 90's hair band) ago, but he speaks clearly and covers a ton of concepts (skin, eyes, veining, dioramas, etc) that figure modelers should be interested in.

Found this in 2 sec (Google is your friend)
519255.jpg

Think Base Color, Highlights and shadows. Basically you want to enhance the shapes thats already in the face sculpt. Some ppl also use a black base paint as its supposed to make it easier to modulate the Highlights and shadows later.

Start with a "Flesh" base color and look what the shadows and highlights do on the face, then simply start darkening the "Hollow/Negative surfaces" and highlight "ridges and peaks".

Normally I would use the "flesh" color as a base and then adding browns grays and blacks for the shadow and white, beige and lighter reds for the highlights.

My Medium for Face painting was always Oil colors as you can blend them beautifully. I tried with Acrylics but I never reached the same level of fluidity blending the colors, but I am sure there are guys that thinks differently.

Working with oil needs some discipline but as you need to be sure that the layers dry between each layer...about 24h or so.

But as already said there are tons of Tuts on line, face painting is a sort of science in it self if you want to do it hard core.

Awesome thanks, I will check out Fishers links. Face painting and Frankenstein face painting are different things because of the color pallet but the chart above may come in handy. Thanks again.

If you are doing frankenstein you want the skin to look dead. I would mix some gray and green into the flesh mix. I painted a really good one for a customer a while back. Wish I had taken a pic. You can poke around my outdated site for more tips www.heycomputer.com

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back