Saw Gerrera Partisan build (WIP)

Yup, that's the same bandolier! I made contact with a local leather person to make the bandolier for me but have had a hard time keeping the comms channel open with her, so I may have to look elsewhere or just dig in and learn to work the leather and do it myself.

And, the same size/style of 'smoke grenade' cylinders as well. I've gotten the 2.5-inch inside diameter cardboard tubes and will 3D print the end caps as soon as I am back from travel.

Dan

Yup, that's the same bandolier! I made contact with a local leather person to make the bandolier for me but have had a hard time keeping the comms channel open with her, so I may have to look elsewhere or just dig in and learn to work the leather and do it myself.

And, the same size/style of 'smoke grenade' cylinders as well. I've gotten the 2.5-inch inside diameter cardboard tubes and will 3D print the end caps as soon as I am back from travel.

Dan
I'm looking a starting on this build, I currently have two cleared costumes with Rebel Legion and two with 501st UKG..What are your thoughts on the main body ? is two part combat uniform of some sort or one piece flight suit and is it dark green? it looks it to me! Phil.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I'm thinking that it's a two-part - a dark olive/forest green top with an even darker and more brown set of trousers of some sort. They look fairly 'baggy' to me but I'm not sure they look to have the jodhpur style thighs like the shoretrooper trousers. To me the trousers look most similar to those worn by Tenzigo Weems (good image in the Rogue One Ultimate Visual Guide). That's all open to interpretation, though, and I'm hoping that some day some one of us will get to see the actual costume for this character on display somewhere...

Dan

I reached out to Glyn Dillon on twitter to see if he can tell me where the bandolier came from, existing item or built for the movie. I also found a shot of the bandolier from the back that seems to show it is one strap down the center of the back.

*edit* can't get the image to load. It's when the initial group of partisans get Bodhi, after they stick the hood on him and start to walk away you get a good shot of our guys side and back as he turns

I also found a tweet from Glyn Dillon where he says the helmet is actually a very dark green, almost black, but not black.

I reached out to Glyn Dillon on twitter to see if he can tell me where the bandolier came from, existing item or built for the movie. I also found a shot of the bandolier from the back that seems to show it is one strap down the center of the back.

*edit* can't get the image to load. It's when the initial group of partisans get Bodhi, after they stick the hood on him and start to walk away you get a good shot of our guys side and back as he turns

I also found a tweet from Glyn Dillon where he says the helmet is actually a very dark green, almost black, but not black.
I think from this shot, the two cross, and will be the same as the other character I the other photo below. I don't think they meet as one when they join the belt.

044aaadca7cb7792e84b38eb02501f9f.jpg
e934190bba698c8e51c20e62a64a09ce.jpg

I think from this shot, the two cross, and will be the same as the other character I the other photo below. I don't think they meet as one when they join the belt.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171003/044aaadca7cb7792e84b38eb02501f9f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171003/e934190bba698c8e51c20e62a64a09ce.jpg

if possible could you please post a screen shot of Glyn Dillion post 're colour as it may be usefull as evidence when it comes go submitting clearance photos to the Rebel Legion. I tried to search his twitter but could not find it. thanks. Phil.

Oh, I think even from the images in my Post #3 at the top of this thread it is clear that the helmet is a dark green and not black. I've found a combination (mix) of two different camo spray paints, dark green and brown, that look about right to me. I'll be painting mine in about two weeks. Notice also the Partisan emblem painted on the left side of the helmet...

Dan

Oh, I think even from the images in my Post #3 at the top of this thread it is clear that the helmet is a dark green and not black. I've found a combination (mix) of two different camo spray paints, dark green and brown, that look about right to me. I'll be painting mine in about two weeks. Notice also the Partisan emblem painted on the left side of the helmet...

Dan
ive ordered a can called ' very dark drab' I think it's. NATO colour. I think it's close... Will see when it comes...
I've also ordered Helikon top and bottom to dye darker green and modify...
any idea on boots, they look black to me, no laces ?
f5f735daa7cb4ae0190c4c62996a00f9.jpg
623481aa7062baf18e14e153cfa278e7.jpg
21bfa897fbc440f8787cef5832a95cf0.jpg

if possible could you please post a screen shot of Glyn Dillion post 're colour as it may be usefull as evidence when it comes go submitting clearance photos to the Rebel Legion. I tried to search his twitter but could not find it. thanks. Phil.

Link here
https://twitter.com/glyn_dillon/status/810629303452991488

Your screenshot seems much clearer than mine did that they are 2 crossed pieces. Thanks for that clarity.

Last edited by a moderator:
ive ordered a can called ' very dark drab' I think it's. NATO colour. I think it's close... Will see when it comes...
I've also ordered Helikon top and bottom to dye darker green and modify...
any idea on boots, they look black to me, no laces ?

Here is the BDU shirt and paratrooper pants that I went with:

partisan_shirt_pants.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Rothco-Vinta...=1507123487&sr=8-2&keywords=bdu+vintage+olive

https://www.amazon.com/Russet-Vinta...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7A28WQAPMP5SEDZMJ1XY

I'll obviously be dyeing both to the proper darker color, the shirt a bit darker and duller olive green and the pants a very dark and nearly black brown. I've removed the thigh pockets from the pants and have had the shirt substantially altered to remove some items and add back other details that I think I see in the screen reference. I'll post the details on these when I'm back from travel and have gotten the final dye jobs done late next week. One thing to watch out for if you go this route for the shirt - I found this particular shirt to be hugely, grosslly oversized in every size category. I usually wear a medium or perhaps sometimes a small for these things and even the extra small was huge and had to be altered and taken in to fit.

For the boots I have again followed the model that this character has scavenged a lot of his items from other sources and have assumed that his boots are the same as the rebel commandos, perhaps not too bad an assumption given the look of the boots as we see him running out of the catacombs during the destruction of Jedha.

Dan

these are custom made gloves that are made in the UK by a member of the RL.he is going to make me some in black . they are 70 GBP plus postage. I believe the gloves are th same as used by rebel pilots in rogue one.

these are some of the bits I have coming together. lots of work ahead to get the 1903 bandoliers cut and changed to look rights and colour match the leathers. helmet is In a black base coat awaiting a dark green drab paint .
71b88e841a8d39765eb894f1dca93733.jpg
e460cf2a05aadf02fc3edb4b4cc7b05a.jpg

Hey, looking good! You're making great progress! Just back from a week of travel and I'm hoping to get a bit more done on mine this week and through next weekend; I'll post more when I have a bit more progress to show...

Dan

In the immortal words of Red Leader: "Almost there..."

5D3_3993_small.jpg5D3_3997_small.jpg

This is still unweathered, of course, and I still need to paint on the Partisan emblem on the left 'cheek', but it's starting to feel a bit more like a character.

For the dark green color I made a roughly 1 : 2.5-3 mix of Rust-Oleum satin Hunt Club Green and Rust-Oleum Earth Brown camouflage and applied multiple light coats with an airbrush. I started with what I thought would be a good mix based on simple rattle can mixing of 1:1, but that ended up looking a bit too green still. So I added in progressively more of the Earth Brown until I arrived at a hue and lightness (well, darkness!) that looked good to my eye in various direct and indirect lighting based on comparison to the on-screen images. Without seeing the actual screen-used prop it's hard to tell, but I'm happy with what I got. I had intended to very carefully record the final paint mix I ended up with in order for others to use this as a 'standard' for this character if we ever develop a CRL for it, but the process got rather iterative in real time so I can only quote this as "roughly 1 : 2.5-3". Sorry about that.

Similar process mixing my own shade of gray for the snout - seems to match screen ref, again for a variety of direct and backlit lighting. Based on the apparent lightness of the Hovi mic area on screen I decided to add in some actual stainless steel Hovi screen, airbrushed slightly to tone down the shine just a tad.

I've got a frisket film template printed out for the Partisan emblem, but I'm going to hold off on that for another day or so while I experiment with various paint chipping effects for the yellowish-tan paint that I'll apply for that...

Dan

In the immortal words of Red Leader: "Almost there..."

View attachment 767703View attachment 767704

This is still unweathered, of course, and I still need to paint on the Partisan emblem on the left 'cheek', but it's starting to feel a bit more like a character.

For the dark green color I made a roughly 1 : 2.5-3 mix of Rust-Oleum satin Hunt Club Green and Rust-Oleum Earth Brown camouflage and applied multiple light coats with an airbrush. I started with what I thought would be a good mix based on simple rattle can mixing of 1:1, but that ended up looking a bit too green still. So I added in progressively more of the Earth Brown until I arrived at a hue and lightness (well, darkness!) that looked good to my eye in various direct and indirect lighting based on comparison to the on-screen images. Without seeing the actual screen-used prop it's hard to tell, but I'm happy with what I got. I had intended to very carefully record the final paint mix I ended up with in order for others to use this as a 'standard' for this character if we ever develop a CRL for it, but the process got rather iterative in real time so I can only quote this as "roughly 1 : 2.5-3". Sorry about that.

Similar process mixing my own shade of gray for the snout - seems to match screen ref, again for a variety of direct and backlit lighting. Based on the apparent lightness of the Hovi mic area on screen I decided to add in some actual stainless steel Hovi screen, airbrushed slightly to tone down the shine just a tad.

I've got a frisket film template printed out for the Partisan emblem, but I'm going to hold off on that for another day or so while I experiment with various paint chipping effects for the yellowish-tan paint that I'll apply for that...

Dan
looking very nice.....i don't have a airbrush so will have to do with spray cans...hoping to progress mine if my paint has arrived when I get home from my trip to Jamaica...

is this the shape of the logo used ? this is Saw from the clone wars so I thought it is based on this??
74ec1bfc02c47f3efb52152e69c6147a.jpg
8835cf61681183c1f392bee9a210aac7.jpg

So, still no weathering but I did manage to get the Partisan emblem painted on the side. I had intended to use the template that I had printed out onto frisket film for the actual airbrushing, but in the end decided that that was just too flimsy for the size to tinker around with. I did use a printed copy of the template to position the emblem on the helmet; I just printed it onto regular paper and added two-sided tape to the back and then affixed that to the proper position on the helmet. For that and setting the actual size of the emblem I made some measurements in Photoshop from a good frame grab from the Blu-ray - 6 cm square for use on a RS Prop Masters Biker Scout helmet. Using that paper template as a guide I then used just regular masking tape to build up the mask piece by piece.

5D3_4003_small.jpg5D3_4004_small.jpg

I sprayed 5 coats of hairspray, let everything dry well, then applied several light coats of various shades of 'mustard'-like yellow that appeared to match the screen reference. Wet that surface when dried a bit and scratched it up a bit.

5D3_4008_small.jpg5D3_4011_small.jpg

I'll dull/darken back the bottom left corner area during the weathering stage to better match the screen reference. Looking forward to making the whole thing 'pop' with the weathering, but I'm going to just stare at it for a few days and approach it patiently.

Also brought the little right shoulder bell to the same stage, ready for weathering:

5D3_4013_small.jpg5D3_4014_small.jpg5D3_4016_small.jpg

I think I've got the forward-facing end looking like the screen reference, but it's hard to tell what going on at the rear-facing end since we never see that end clearly. In the 'making of' extras there's one view that peaks around just a tad and it looks to me as though there's something going on back there to break the symmetry but since I can't tell I just kept the symmetry for now.

That's it for a few days...

Dan

So, still no weathering but I did manage to get the Partisan emblem painted on the side. I had intended to use the template that I had printed out onto frisket film for the actual airbrushing, but in the end decided that that was just too flimsy for the size to tinker around with. I did use a printed copy of the template to position the emblem on the helmet; I just printed it onto regular paper and added two-sided tape to the back and then affixed that to the proper position on the helmet. For that and setting the actual size of the emblem I made some measurements in Photoshop from a good frame grab from the Blu-ray - 6 cm square for use on a RS Prop Masters Biker Scout helmet. Using that paper template as a guide I then used just regular masking tape to build up the mask piece by piece.

View attachment 768077View attachment 768078

I sprayed 5 coats of hairspray, let everything dry well, then applied several light coats of various shades of 'mustard'-like yellow that appeared to match the screen reference. Wet that surface when dried a bit and scratched it up a bit.

View attachment 768081View attachment 768082

I'll dull/darken back the bottom left corner area during the weathering stage to better match the screen reference. Looking forward to making the whole thing 'pop' with the weathering, but I'm going to just stare at it for a few days and approach it patiently.

Also brought the little right shoulder bell to the same stage, ready for weathering:

View attachment 768083View attachment 768084View attachment 768085

I think I've got the forward-facing end looking like the screen reference, but it's hard to tell what going on at the rear-facing end since we never see that end clearly. In the 'making of' extras there's one view that peaks around just a tad and it looks to me as though there's something going on back there to break the symmetry but since I can't tell I just kept the symmetry for now.

That's it for a few days...

Dan
Amazing work as always....

Back from some travel and have made a tiny bit of progress, getting the 'smoke grenade' canisters built and ready for painting. This scene showing one of Saw's other Partisan friends provides probably the best screen reference for not only the canisters but also the bandolier and the 'body cam' thingy:

rogue-one-movie-screencaps.com-4550_crop.jpg

Assuming the average adult male interpupillary distance I arrived at a tube diameter of a bit less than 3 inches and so 2.75-inch cardboard mailing tubes seemed to be the right starting stock. That also seems consistent with the more 'squat' appearance of these canisters versus the standard M18 smoke grenade that Benthic Two Tubes wears. I 3D modeled and printed appropriate end caps. I sprayed them with filler primer and sanded and they are now ready for painting...

5D3_3960_small.jpg5D3_4026_small.jpg5D3_5015_small.jpg5D3_5017_small.jpg

Dan

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back