Vincent V

A couple of days ago I decided it would be cool to make an "assault phaser" from Star Trek V and VI. With that goal in mind I started working on a 3d model. For now I'm working on the overall shape and outside surface details. Once I get that to a point where I like it I'll move on to designing individual parts for a "working" assembly. My goal is to have as many working parts as possible (mag release, slide lock, disassembly lever, those 3 buttons on the right side, etc...)

This is a render of my progress so far:
Render 01.png

The final prop will be mostly 3d printed parts with a few found parts (if I can find them).

Any tips/advice/criticism/etc... would be appreciated. Progress will be fairly slow on this project. At this point I'm just working on it a little each day during my lunch break.

Still a long way to go, but I've made a little progress.
Render 02.png

I'm thinking once I get all the external details to a point that looks right I'll print a solid one and see how it turns out. Then I'll start breaking out individual components and designing the working assembly.

Just about all of the details on the left side are present now (They aren't perfect yet, but probably good enough for my first print).
Render 04.png

I'm fairly happy with the way it's turning out so far, but any criticism or advice would be appreciated.

Another Update:
Render 05 - left.pngRender 05 - right.png

Almost ready for the first test print now. Got a few minor issues to work out and then I'll probably slice it up and print a test to make sure I'm on the right track here. The working version will take much more time and effort, but hopefully it will be worth it.

This is so cool! You've given me an itch to build one!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

This is so cool! You've given me an itch to build one!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Maybe I just haven't looked around enough, but it seems like this phaser doesn't get enough attention. Not many people seem to build these. It's a cool prop imo.

Plus I needed a fun project for my new printer.

Finally finished my first test print.

I cut it up into more manageable pieces because I didn't have a bunch of time to print it all at once.
20170719_174226.jpg

Some areas needs a bit of sanding before I glue it all together but here it is loosely fit together with some rubber bands and such:
20170719_174057.jpg20170719_174108.jpg20170719_174131.jpg

My goal with this iteration is just to do some minor finishing work and glue it all together (maybe hit it with some primer and lightly sand to hide the layering). That will give me a really good feel for how my model is coming along. So far it feels a bit over-sized to me. So I need to spend some time checking over my dimensions.

As usual, any advice/criticism would be appreciated.

Very nicely done....looks very good!

I do have one suggestion and one question: Printing the emitter as a separate part would make it easier to paint and finish. The question is: had you considered making the front section 'cover' as a separate part to provide better access to finishing whatever is seen through those slots?

-Jeff

Very nicely done....looks very good!

I do have one suggestion and one question: Printing the emitter as a separate part would make it easier to paint and finish. The question is: had you considered making the front section 'cover' as a separate part to provide better access to finishing whatever is seen through those slots?

-Jeff

Thanks.

This print is a test, since I'm working exclusively from pictures I really needed to get something physical to make sure I'm on the right track. I agree that a separate emitter and front cover would make things easier, I'll definitely do that on the final version.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back