Working Joe from Alien Isolation. My first sculpt ever

obiwan kowalski

30 years ago I saw behind the scenes video of A Nightmare on Elm St and fell in love with the make-up effects. Up until now, I never gave it a try aside from basic stage make-up in the high school plays back in the 90s. Finally time, inspiration and a little disposable income have lined up. Here is my WIP of a Working Joe mask from the game Alien Isolation, mistakes and all.

I started with having a friend help me make a life cast of my head. Do not do this after a night of partying. I either fell asleep in the chair or passed out. The cast got damaged and did not come out perfect. Later I had some help patching the tears in the silicon and made a positive with ultrcal 30.

The forehead ended up with a huge indent giving it a cro-mag look to it. I filled it in with clay along with the other holes and imperfections.

Since I figured this was my first time casting I called the sculpt good enough. And also since it was my first time, I used plaster of paris. Bad idea. It got mechanically locked and cracked. It was so hard to open I bruised my ribs wrestling it open. Live and learn.

On to sculpt number 2. I salvaged what i could from the 1st sculpt and tried again. This one went a lot faster since I was learning better techniques. Once again I called it good enough and went on to cast it. I used Ultracal this time but goofed up mixing it and most of it got clumpy before I was done with the smooth coat. I didn't bother doing the back half. After an adult temper tantrum and a week of staying away, I decided to pull off the mold. It wasn't as bad as I thought. Nowhere near ideal, but I'm learning. Somehow the sculpt stayed mostly intact. Hopefully I can re-work it for attempt 3.

- - - Updated - - -

Time to coat it with latex.

And my first mask ever. Like I said, this has been 30 years in the making. Now that I have learned a lot of lessons I am going to do a best effort run next. I am going to cast another one of these for the kids to enjoy.

Great work dude!
I find this 1000% more inspirational than 90% of the stuff that's out there!
Keep at it and before long you'll have a monthly smooth-on bill, silicone resin, and plaster perpetually in your hair, and a separate " work room" where you keep all your supplies and a foldout bed per your wife's request ;)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back